Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 03:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Had an 0-**** moment the other day with a wet clutch pedal. I have the rennline pedals with rubber nubbins - I would not recommend them.

Has anyone had BGB's 50HP setup on the track in anger yet? I'm a little apprehensive of Tunes and hard tracking. A few guys I know with custom tunes (GT2 and E90M3) have had a very hard time getting them to work on the track at temp.
Not all tunes are created equal. I see this all the time. Some guy gets an open source road tune from a monkey with a laptop and then blows up his engine on the track when it goes lean or pulls timing just when he doesn't want it. It's not the tune's fault. A cheap tune is cheap until it is very expensive.

BGB has spent the last half a dozen years racing on their tunes. They aren't some Johnny come lately pretending they can offer you more hp. They ran Grand Am, and won championships doing it. You don't run 3,6,12 and 24 hour races with a questionable tune. Has anyone run their tunes? They have, when running a single race had more out of pocket expense than one of these cars costs to buy.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:18 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I was not implying that BGB does not know what they are doing. I'm seriously considering the power upgrade - but I don't want to be the first person to try it on a hot track day.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
I thought about taking the bracket off and zip tying the port to some other wires above the fuse box. Also considered putting a right angle in the bracket, it seems to be aluminum, to put the port off my toe. Any thoughts about that from anyone?
OBD2 Relocation Effort
Old 11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I was not implying that BGB does not know what they are doing. I'm seriously considering the power upgrade - but I don't want to be the first person to try it on a hot track day.
I know that you and others are hesitant because you feel like guinea pigs or the first people to bite but you're not and i just wanted to add this as a point of comfort.

I have sold these upgrades to customers in the U.S. and the Dominican Republic for parts of the world that have much higher temps than most. Our customer's 981 Cayman GTS track car runs all of these mods, including the flywheel and makes over 370 crank HP and runs on track without a single issue in the summer at Sebring or Barber. My customer Alan in the DR tracks his car as well and he too has the PDK GTS with the ECU flash, headers, filters, 82mm throttle body and plenum. He just added the Cargraphic mufflers.

Our tuner does not run a lot of ignition timing in his map; anyone will tell you that this is the easiest way for a tuner to screw up your car's thermal abilities in an attempt to make more power. We are all about power fall-off and less concerned about peak stuff. We want the car to make the same power on the 6th and final dyno run as it did on the 2nd. That's just our $.02 from an endurance racing approach to street tuning.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 759 Posts

John, hit me up.
Peter@trakcar.com

I need to get up to speed on how to make GT4 track ready and bullet proof.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM
cosmocrip
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BGB, I m looking to tune the car, as porsche would Have done it without the restriction to step on the 911 toes.
I understand that I should have 82mm throttle body associated to the ipd plenum and air filter.
Regarding the exhaust, I m living in an area where being catless is not an issue, however I would like to keep an option in case I should put back the cats for future pollution control.

From my understanding those mods won't work without a ecu tune, however is it possible that this tune would be as close as possible to what porsche would Have done on a carrera s 430hp?

Does my request fit your scope of work?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

BGB, you should get the dudes (or a tune from you guys) from Germany to make a Cobb Accessport map for the plenum, TB, headers, exhaust That would cut down on the ECU remapping significantly since it would just be a 3min reflash
Old 11-29-2015, 10:53 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm also interested in this upgrade.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:23 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
BGB, you should get the dudes (or a tune from you guys) from Germany to make a Cobb Accessport map for the plenum, TB, headers, exhaust That would cut down on the ECU remapping significantly since it would just be a 3min reflash

A good question for BGB would be the pros and cons of using the COBB Acessport vs a modified GT4 ECU. Don't know if the COBB option, being a piggy back system, may have limitations the ECU option can avoid.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cosmocrip
BGB, I m looking to tune the car, as porsche would Have done it without the restriction to step on the 911 toes.
I understand that I should have 82mm throttle body associated to the ipd plenum and air filter.
Regarding the exhaust, I m living in an area where being catless is not an issue, however I would like to keep an option in case I should put back the cats for future pollution control.

From my understanding those mods won't work without a ecu tune, however is it possible that this tune would be as close as possible to what porsche would Have done on a carrera s 430hp?

Does my request fit your scope of work?

Thanks
Hello - Thank you for your questions. If you live somewhere where you can run catless headers, i would recommend it if you are set on a certain power and torque increase level and like that aggressive sound. If you want to achieve 430hp you need race headers, a flash, the larger diameter throttle body and filters. I would suggest that everyone who replaces their manifolds keep their original ones for resale or as a backup if you move to somewhere like California or somewhere else with more stringent EPA standards. The tune is necessary if you want to add race headers OR if you don't want to see a CEL from the larger diameter throttle body. If you purchase manifolds with cats and don't care about a CEL from the intake upgrade, you can get by without doing the tune. If you want the perfect mapping though for those upgrades, the tune is a must. The original mapping is without restriction on the GT4; it is not locked up to make less power by any means.

Originally Posted by user1029
The guys in Germany go through great lengths of NOT using an OBD flash to protect their IP because the fear is that someone can suck it out and reverse engineer it. I am in a very delicate situation where i need to stay loyal to the guys who have gotten me this far especially when it comes to doing things like putting the X51 991 GTS engine in a 981. Without their ECU support i would be nowhere. It's tempting because a lot of customers are interested in the Cobb product. They make a nice piece, it's convenient and they seem to be out there marketing and answering the 981 community, which is a nice thing to finally have.

Originally Posted by jmartpr
A good question for BGB would be the pros and cons of using the COBB Acessport vs a modified GT4 ECU. Don't know if the COBB option, being a piggy back system, may have limitations the ECU option can avoid.
There are certain things that my guys in Germany can achieve in the underlying coding or certain things they are preparing for in anticipation of upgrades like gearing, X51 cylinder heads, etc. Outside of that, if it's okay, i am trying to avoid an us vs. them comparison.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'm also interested in this upgrade.
Thanks for your interest in our products. PM sent!
Old 11-30-2015, 03:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Quote me most TQ. Noise and pollution is of no concern
Old 11-30-2015, 03:59 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Quote me most TQ. Noise and pollution is of no concern
Your car is going to get the Stage II treatment which will be the lightweight flywheel, the Stage 1 mods plus the LSD. If you do mufflers, i think that 450hp is attainable. I want this because i know that you can go out and hound stock 991 GT3s at Sebring and then afterwards when they ask "what's in that thing" you can hand them my business card and say call 1-800-mor-powa!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

BGB Sebring edition # 00xxx
Stage 2 whatever, just make it loud and dirty and do your thing. Jay make sure it stays in one piece this side of a money shift.
From those guys I have driven with and seen they know how to drive, they are impressed by the GT4, so it's exciting.

Sorry I have to miss your open house / seminar Daytona thing but I'm stuck on the wrong continent. Fingers crossed the GT4 "blue flame" arrives on time.

Put your cell number mirror image on my windshield banner.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:15 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BGB Sebring edition # 00xxx
Stage 2 whatever, just make it loud and dirty and do your thing. Jay make sure it stays in one piece this side of a money shift.
From those guys I have driven with and seen they know how to drive, they are impressed by the GT4, so it's exciting.

Sorry I have to miss your open house / seminar Daytona thing but I'm stuck on the wrong continent. Fingers crossed the GT4 "blue flame" arrives on time.

Agreed! I have always wanted to do something written backwards on the front bumper that says "if you can read this, you need to send your GT4 to John!"
Old 11-30-2015, 05:43 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

after all those mods it might make more sense to put it on your rear bumper in a rather large font so they can read it before you're gone

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!