Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Well I'm probably not as knowledgeable as a lot of folks on tire issues, and maybe you are correct. At least one of the pros who has coached me seemed to think there was diminishing returns on tire width. He felt I'd be faster by going to slightly narrower tires on my 986S track car. Currently I have 275's all the way around.
Depending upon your curb weight and power-to-weight ratio, he might well be very correct. Two issue to consider:
  1. Your tire is so wide that it never gets up to temperature
  2. Wider tires, due to increased friction and aerodynamic drag, limit your acceleration and top speed

For the first issue, either going to a softer compound or a narrower treadwidth will allow you to reach the optimum temperature (usually around 180F, depending upon compound). For the second, it often depends upon the particular track (does an increase in cornering speed outweigh reduced straight-away speeds?). Regardless, for the width of tire you deem most appropriate, the tire will perform best on a wheel that is either the same width, or very slightly wider.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:00 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

I wonder when the embargo lifts for video reviews. All videos so far have been Porsche Press videos (white, blue and yellow Spyders).
Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

What's the implications of having turbo steering?.. I don't know the technical features of that rack.. Is it faster lock to lock?.. Ratio similar to gt4?

Also, seems like that autobild video is just a clever voiceover of stock Porsche footage, they didn't actually drive it no?

Wonder why it takes so long for reviews to come out?... What could they possibly be fine-tuning?

Last point.. I bet that last 10hp comes from a supposed ram-air effect from the gt4 air scoops.. I love how they look.. First mod I'm doing when I get mine
Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What's the implications of having turbo steering?.. I don't know the technical features of that rack.. Is it faster lock to lock?.. Ratio similar to gt4?

Also, seems like that autobild video is just a clever voiceover of stock Porsche footage, they didn't actually drive it no?

Wonder why it takes so long for reviews to come out?... What could they possibly be fine-tuning?

Last point.. I bet that last 10hp comes from a supposed ram-air effect from the gt4 air scoops.. I love how they look.. First mod I'm doing when I get mine
I wondered about the side scoops, I had the Strossek ones on my 987 Cayman but these are embossed with GT4 logos, are you ok with that?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:03 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
I wondered about the side scoops, I had the Strossek ones on my 987 Cayman but these are embossed with GT4 logos, are you ok with that?
Good detail I hadn't thought of...how long you think before some aftermarket carbon company comes out with a set?.. Not long methinks
Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM
tbc417
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the PTS is now available does anyone know the PTS window or can you get PTS with any build date?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbc417
Given the PTS is now available does anyone know the PTS window or can you get PTS with any build date?
I was told a November build is needed and my SA is trying to get my build date moved. He didn't say anything about December on.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PTS Window...and the PTS time requirement on orders!

In the recent past, PAG has required at least a minimum of 3 months from the day your PTS custom order is entered into PCNA/PAG order bank computers until the scheduled day of production! That is assuming, of course, that you are choosing an already approved PTS color!

So if your dealer entered your order with PCNA/PAG on September 1, 2015, expect your production date to be after December 1, 2015. And so your dealer allocation needs also be for that December month too! Porsche will usually work that out with your dealer, but not always*. If for whatever reason (e.g. high demand) PTS production schedules are full for December, your PTS build could be pushed into later months.

The PTS 'window' refers only to when PCNA/PAG will allow a dealer to order a PTS custom order in the ordering system. The PTS 'window' might close on some near future date...but if your dealer placed the order during the open PTS 'window' timeframe, your PTS build should be honored! And it will be built past when the PTS window itself closes. The key is to get your order 'in' during the period the PTS window is 'Open'.

*Some smaller dealers might not allow you to take up a valuable allocation for PTS if it delays production since they are counting on that sale & cash-flow earlier on their books. Or if PAG is not interested in too many PTS cars all bunching up in production, it might itself denied your dealer the ability to move his earlier allocation to one that coincides with the required 3 month delay in production.

As we move into the changing .2 facelift schedules for the 991 and 981 in the fall of 2015 & early months of 2016, PAG might altered the normal PTS schedules (make it more difficult & inaccessible) to simplify their production scheduling. PTS at Porsche is a complicated & often moving target...so caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Is the car in the German Review Carmine Red? I see the pictures of the Guards Red but the pictures in the German Review seem different - less orange/red and more blue/red. I ask because I'm considering PTS carmine red.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:48 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

Old 07-08-2015, 01:16 AM
tbc417
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
In the recent past, PAG has required at least a minimum of 3 months from the day your PTS custom order is entered into PCNA/PAG order bank computers until the scheduled day of production! That is assuming, of course, that you are choosing an already approved PTS color!

So if your dealer entered your order with PCNA/PAG on September 1, 2015, expect your production date to be after December 1, 2015. And so your dealer allocation needs also be for that December month too! Porsche will usually work that out with your dealer, but not always*. If for whatever reason (e.g. high demand) PTS production schedules are full for December, your PTS build could be pushed into later months.

The PTS 'window' refers only to when PCNA/PAG will allow a dealer to order a PTS custom order in the ordering system. The PTS 'window' might close on some near future date...but if your dealer placed the order during the open PTS 'window' timeframe, your PTS build should be honored! And it will be built past when the PTS window itself closes. The key is to get your order 'in' during the period the PTS window is 'Open'.

*Some smaller dealers might not allow you to take up a valuable allocation for PTS if it delays production since they are counting on that sale & cash-flow earlier on their books. Or if PAG is not interested in too many PTS cars all bunching up in production, it might itself denied your dealer the ability to move his earlier allocation to one that coincides with the required 3 month delay in production.

As we move into the changing .2 facelift schedules for the 991 and 981 in the fall of 2015 & early months of 2016, PAG might altered the normal PTS schedules (make it more difficult & inaccessible) to simplify their production scheduling. PTS at Porsche is a complicated & often moving target...so caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Wow, thanks for all the info Eduardo!! I think I'm going to stick with GT Silver on this one!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Is the car in the German Review Carmine Red? I see the pictures of the Guards Red but the pictures in the German Review seem different - less orange/red and more blue/red. I ask because I'm considering PTS carmine red.
Think it's guards red in the German review, though it's hard to tell in a few pics.

Carmine red is an awesome color in person.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks for all the info Eduardo!! I think I'm going to stick with GT Silver on this one!
+1 on the info! Wish Porsche would make this more transparent.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Enjoy

Old 07-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default It's in French, just enjoy the footage

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!