Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:37 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I submitted my build this morning. I buy quickly…I was told of the allocation and 10 minutes later the SA had my deposit. Then of course I take the time to do my research - after the fact!

I read one disappointing fact. As I understand it, once you are in "sport mode" there is an "auto-blip" function. That kind of sucks! After 30 years of racing and heel/toeing, I won't know what to do with that on. I thought that the auto-blip was for the Corvettes, etc. Isn't the PDK for those who don't want to (or can't) work a manual?? Bummed that the fun is gone.

If I don't turn on sport mode, do I lose much functionality?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I submitted my build this morning. I buy quickly…I was told of the allocation and 10 minutes later the SA had my deposit. Then of course I take the time to do my research - after the fact!

I read one disappointing fact. As I understand it, once you are in "sport mode" there is an "auto-blip" function. That kind of sucks! After 30 years of racing and heel/toeing, I won't know what to do with that on. I thought that the auto-blip was for the Corvettes, etc. Isn't the PDK for those who don't want to (or can't) work a manual?? Bummed that the fun is gone.

On the GT4, all the Sport Button does is turn auto-blip on or off and has absolutely no effect on throttle response or anything else. I'm not sure if that carries over to the Spyder though.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto-blip is actually really good for track purpose. You can then focus on braking with your right foot and this feature takes care of matching revs under hard braking corners. Same as new cup cars auto-blip. VERY useful in racing.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I read one disappointing fact. As I understand it, once you are in "sport mode" there is an "auto-blip" function. That kind of sucks!
No need for concern- no auto blip in sport. In sport plus you get auto blip, but turn stability off and it goes away again.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:02 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
No need for concern- no auto blip in sport. In sport plus you get auto blip, but turn stability off and it goes away again.
You made my evening. Thank you!

My wife will like the revs-match function. I have given up trying to teach her to work a gear box.

One other thing…I assumed that this car gets the X73 analog suspension, correct? I know that its does not get the GT3 bits on the front. Goole searches did not confirm the X73, but it must be… (fingers crossed)
Old 07-11-2015, 12:07 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Auto-blip is actually really good for track purpose. You can then focus on braking with your right foot and this feature takes care of matching revs under hard braking corners. Same as new cup cars auto-blip. VERY useful in racing.
The cup cars run a sequential gearbox….a completely different transmission. (No clutch on up-shifts - optional on downshifts.) I call all the new young drivers relying on all this new technology "traction control heroes." Two years from now there will be a mobile app to drive the car around the track via GPS!

I never have issues matching revs because when I started racing, you had no choice but to!

Last edited by texasviany; 07-11-2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

One other thing…I assumed that this car gets the X73 analog suspension, correct? I know that its does not get the GT3 bits on the front. Goole searches did not confirm the X73, but it must be… (fingers crossed)
A slightly modified X73, yes. No PASM.
No need for second guessing IMHO- you're going to love it.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:34 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

PHP Code:
[HTML][/HTML
A slightly modified X73, yes. No PASM.
No need for second guessing IMHO- you're going to love it.
Cool. Those are the only questions that I had. I miss the LI battery option…I had that on my last 3 Porsches.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:08 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cup cars run a sequential gearbox….a completely different transmission. (No clutch on up-shifts - optional on downshifts.) I call all the new young drivers relying on all this new technology "traction control heroes." Two years from now there will be a mobile app to drive the car around the track via GPS!

I never have issues matching revs because when I started racing, you had no choice but to!
No need to explain me how a cup car gearbox works, I raced in 997 and 991 cups for years. No electronic aids on Cup cars and all the drivers love the auto-blip including all the 997 guys who add a PMNA blipper. You may prefer to heel and toe like in the good old days but the auto-blip is much more efficient in racing. You can brake later and stronger and use more engine compression to keep the rear low. BTW the pros in GTD love it too.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts
Default 981 Spyder!!!!

This is bad information. There is no sport plus on the Spyder. All the sport button does is activate the autoblip, so if you don't want autoblip you don't press the sport button
Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is bad information. There is no sport plus on the Spyder. All the sport button does is activate the autoblip, so if you don't want autoblip you don't press the sport button
Unlike the GT4, the spyder has the Sport Chrono functionality of a regular 981. So in fact, Petevb is correct. Sport plus with traction control off will deactivate it.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default 981 Spyder!!!!

There is no sport plus button
Old 07-11-2015, 04:00 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

There is no sport plus button
Yes there is.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Not sure where you're getting this, but not only does the documentation mention sport plus, but the ones I drove Wednesday work as I described above.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default 981 Spyder!!!!

I apologize, 2x for posting bad info myself. Just checked and should have known it was dumb to contradict petevb.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!