Sponsored by: APR

Upcoming Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nh4
With the disclaimer that I'm a total newbie to the Porsche development cycle, if the car spotted a few weeks back is indeed a mule for the Cayman GT4, is it typical for Porsche to have that close-to-production looking cars driving around if the release is still three years out? I ask because the manufacturers that I am more familiar with seem to be about a year out from model release when they have mules that look this complete.
No, it would not be typical. So you make a good point!

Here is my own personal thoughts on the subject. Porsche is at a crossroad right now. There are a lot of things up in the air and they could go in different directions depending on what cards are handed to them. Here are some of the variables they are dealing with:

a) Stricter Cycle 6 European emissions that go into effect very soon and might endanger Porsche's high hp naturally aspirated engines.
b) New combined GT competition class that will merge GT3 with GTE. Rules will be issued shortly by FIA/ACO. The gt3 class as we know it will soon be relegated to history.
c) Reliability issues on current na gt3 engines (the stop sale disaster).
d) The upcoming 960 mid-engine model that will be the replacement of the 911-based chassis in competition. PAG doesn't discuss this model in public because they have to sell every 918 Spyder planned for production. But then...this will take center stage. The FeFi (Ferrari Fighter). The future.
e) The full throttle development of a wide range of turbo engines for all Porsche models that guaranteed increase power with better fuel efficiencies. Porsche, no stranger to turbos, is currently designing turbos for each & every vehicle they currently produce or plan to ever produce. This, and PDK, is the only way to meet the tougher emissions standards while maintaining performance.

Depending on what happens in the near term with any/all of the above, Porsche has to have contingency plans. One of them is to introduce a sophisticated and powerful Cayman gt4 - turbo-charged, rear axle steering, better rear suspension, etc - to fill a gap that might open up in competition/amateur racing if the current 991 gt3 program stumbles for whatever reason! Thus, you are seeing them working in multiple fronts with various models...although neither they nor us yet know which ones they will release to the public or in what order. That could account why you are seeing Cayman gt4 mules that are not expected to be turned into production models in short order. However, it doesn't mean that they could have a change of plans - and bring it out earlier - if they deem it's necessary due to changes in market conditions, rules, regulations, etc.

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 05-30-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Eduardo. Porsche sells more race cars each year than any other maker.. All 911 based. They do need to have an alternative to step in and fill the gap.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Eduardo. I think another element that Porsche has to contend with is the current and upcoming line-up of competition that are all gunning for the 911 market. Between defending their market, meeting upcoming environmental standards, and the other points you made in your post, I definitely think we're going to see a lot of churn across the segment as all the manufacturers look to make products that compete at a performance level but meet-or-exceed the environmental requirements... Using electric motors to fill in delivery gaps in turbo engines seems to be the chosen path... Give the car a bit of all-electric range to get through city centers and suddenly (almost) everyone is happy.

With regards to the Cayman GT4, I do hope it is out next year. 2015 could be a heck of a year for Porsche if they have the 991 911 GT3-RS, the Cayman GT4, and the 991.2 architecture all out in the next 12-18 months.

I am hoping that the GT4 does come with a naturally aspirated engine, the GT3 PDK, and I'll be more than happy with any other GT3 or 918 tech they'd like to throw at it . Though I do believe Porsche, and most others, will ultimately end up with turbo engines mated to electric torque-fillers and enough batteries to get through a European city, I'm hoping the GT4, as maybe the 991 GT3 is for the 911, will be the great salute to the naturally aspirated super-performance Porsche as the laws of the land make them less and less marketable.

-nh4.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,358 Likes on 827 Posts

So, who is going to Parade?

Who would be willing to quiz the Porsche people in attendance, over a glass of wine or so , for any possible additional info?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
So, who is going to Parade?

Who would be willing to quiz the Porsche people in attendance, PLY THEM WITH WINE, for any possible additional info?
Fixed it for you. Bring them to Tarpy's Monday at 6:30, already several tables of the 993 crew, we can gang up on them.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

so, who here has deposits on the cayman GT4 or 981 boxster spyder

after years of waiting, i can't believe they are doing this especially the GT4.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

No. 2 at my dealer for a GT4.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:37 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree!
and now as the rumors keep flying (one recent post on Cayman Register said only 200 cars in the production run)

the 991GT3 forum has been hitting this topic hard but not so much interest here (see lies, lies and more thread if you haven't already)

still too many rumors for me to put down a deposit but if everything coalesces around 380-400hp NA, optional transmission (personally I'd probably take pdk-s even if manual was available) and lighter weight, then I'm ready to go see my dealer

there's always a fallback position if this becomes one of those limited run parts exercises, get a BGB version built how you want it

still, hard to believe this is really going to happen but would really be something if they did take the shackles off the Cayman (maybe their marketing analysis says they can only sell 200 400hp lightweight track-oriented Caymans)

Originally Posted by khooni
after years of waiting, i can't believe they are doing this especially the GT4.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

hmm. i thot 200 was just for the UK.

i put down a deposit about a year ago lol to secure the first GT4 car at my dealer. It makes no sense for it to be limited to 200 cars worldwide.

If it is indeed manual, I would just want it to be as "lightweight" as my beloved spyder. Can't believe I used to have 2 spiders once......

but any news on the new 981 spyder?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

In for a 981 GT4.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

the car is coming.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

makes no sense to limit production ...
Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 AM
nh4
Instructor

I've been on the list at my dealer for the last few months. Along with a few others here, see the GT4 thread in the GT3 section, I did receive an e-mail from my SA confirming that the car is coming. Combine that with the (what appeared to be) accidentally-made-public Porsche Driving Experience page showing the GT4 and I'd say it's officially official... Of course what it will be when it arrives is still a big question!

-nh4.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM
chris_berger1
AutoX

If Porsche releases a 981 Spyder with a manual and carbon sport seats I am all in for ordering one. I missed out the last time as I was too late to order one and all the dealers had were PDK with regular sport seats. I may not be the fastest driver but I have the biggest smile rowing my own gears.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:58 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

yes, inquiring minds are wanting to know
probably a lot of folks on the fence waiting for answers
while most would like to see The Great Leap Forward
history dictates a lesser, incremental approach

Originally Posted by nh4
... Of course what it will be when it arrives is still a big question!

-nh4.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Cayman GT4