Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:36 PM
katran
AutoX

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'll target 1/6th of a can per tank then.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:59 AM
Luca Paindelli
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by burnergt4
If you add too much Boostane, over time you risk fouling your spark plugs. Like Scott said, you can use Boostane’s app to figure out how much to add; @Luca Paindelli also made a great little Google Sheets calculator that I’d be happy to share if you PM me (or he can link it here if he’s comfortable with sharing it more publicly).
We did our GT4 back in August 2020 so I guess at this point I'm still considered one of the "early adopters" and got a chance to experiment with the Boostane on both 91 (when we were in CT) and now 93 (in AZ). I do ton of data logging on my car both street and track: the Cobb is basically always on, and almost always logging.

My objective with Boostane is to balance convenience (the stuff stinks and the stench stick to your hand and everything that it comes in contact with; also my wife regularly drives the car so I can't have her be Walter White at the gas station) with effectiveness of knock control and I can tell you that going overboard with precision is not needed.

In a nutshel and from my experience all you need is as follows: on 93 I used some glass 5oz bottles and use one per fill up; on 91 I use half a Boostane can so 16oz... That's it, plain and simple. I prep the bottles at home so I don't get to fuss at the gas station and then pour the whole bottle in.

Here's my setup when I was using the smaller bottles for 93 (
Amazon Amazon
. These fit perfect in the fillup: just take a can of Boostane and fill 6 of them to the same level. I pour the Boostane first so that the fuel fillup mixes it in the tank.

And here's my current setup for the half a can for 91:

In both cases I carry bottles for 2 fillups.

16oz with 91 puts you between 99.6 calculated octane with 10 gallons fillup and 98.4 with a 15 gallon fillup; the 5oz with 93 puts you between 99.1 calculated octane with 10 gallons fillup and 98.1 with a 15 gallon fillup.

On the street this is plenty enough and anything more complicated is, in my experience, just a waste of time.

When I go to the track, I have a bunch of 5 gallons fuel jugs I fill up from outside the gas stations and add 1/2 a bottle: that gets me right around 100 to 101 and the car basically pulls zero timing regardless how hard you push it.

Here's the google sheet if you guys want to play around with it --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=285129957

Last edited by Luca Paindelli; 08-06-2022 at 12:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Luca Paindelli:
ClausMontoya (04-25-2023), ealingj (08-10-2022), MNW (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 04:04 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

I put in boostane at home then drive to gas station, less mess and fiddling at the gas station
Old 08-06-2022, 08:46 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 102 Posts

I roll with the pair of Pyrex 250mlwith the OEM Mobil 1 bag from Suncoast, works awesome. Stays velcro'd under the hood and good for a few fill ups (partials) handy at all times.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKM1OB.html

Last edited by BealeAss; 08-06-2022 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rick DeMan (08-19-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:30 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice work Luca! I've seen meth labs with less attention to detail! (Not really, but I did watch Breaking Bad!)
The following 3 users liked this post by Rob Wolford:
Rick DeMan (08-19-2022), RobC4sX51 (08-20-2022), SFZ GT3 (11-21-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 07:02 PM
sbrsport
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Considering buying used Deman 4.5

Hi all:

Currently have a 2016 Spyder (previously had a 2011). Was considering a new Porsche, probably a GT3. Drove one and liked it, but didn't love it like I love the Spyder. I just really like small cars. Then I read about the DeMan 4.5 conversion. Spoke with Rick and he explained the process and am still considering it. But, in the meantime, there is a local conversion that is being sold used. It is a 2016 Spyder that has 48k miles on it - a lot of miles I know. But, there have only been 4k or so miles put on the car since the conversion. The conversion is everything - engine, gearing, brakes, slip. Total spent was 65k (I saw the paperwork).

I drove the car and loved it. Incredible car. Liked it more than the GT3. Just so much fun.

Here is my question: What is maintenance like? And, for those of you who have had their conversions for a lengthy period, how has the reliability been? Any concerns I should look out for? Since the engine was rebuilt only 4k miles ago, to some extent it is not like I am getting a car with 48k miles on it, but a much newer car for the expensive, most breakable parts. But, am still concerned since it is obviously out of warranty. And, while I willing to take a reasonable chance because I know that nothing is bulletproof, I don't want to buy the car then have to dump 25k in it right away.

I really appreciate any advise you all may have.

Thanks

Jonathan
Old 08-19-2022, 10:30 AM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrsport
Hi all:

Currently have a 2016 Spyder (previously had a 2011). Was considering a new Porsche, probably a GT3. Drove one and liked it, but didn't love it like I love the Spyder. I just really like small cars. Then I read about the DeMan 4.5 conversion. Spoke with Rick and he explained the process and am still considering it. But, in the meantime, there is a local conversion that is being sold used. It is a 2016 Spyder that has 48k miles on it - a lot of miles I know. But, there have only been 4k or so miles put on the car since the conversion. The conversion is everything - engine, gearing, brakes, slip. Total spent was 65k (I saw the paperwork).

I drove the car and loved it. Incredible car. Liked it more than the GT3. Just so much fun.

Here is my question: What is maintenance like? And, for those of you who have had their conversions for a lengthy period, how has the reliability been? Any concerns I should look out for? Since the engine was rebuilt only 4k miles ago, to some extent it is not like I am getting a car with 48k miles on it, but a much newer car for the expensive, most breakable parts. But, am still concerned since it is obviously out of warranty. And, while I willing to take a reasonable chance because I know that nothing is bulletproof, I don't want to buy the car then have to dump 25k in it right away.

I really appreciate any advise you all may have.

Thanks

Jonathan
Hey Jonathan,

Had my conversion for several k miles now. There's really nothing different maintenance wise, just the usual oil changes, filters etc. Anytime I have @Rick DeMan do a check I also have him check plugs too but that's just a while it's there kinda deal. Plus anytime you've got questions Rick is always there to help.
The following 2 users liked this post by BealeAss:
Rick DeMan (08-19-2022), user1029 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I very recently bought a 2016 981 converted by DeMan in late 2020. I've had only issue with the engine. The fault code for the engine fans had been suppressed from showing up in the multi-function display, but was discoverable with the PIWIS scanning tool. Turns out both engine fans had been fouled by track debris, and were not working. They have been replaced with new fans, and I've installed mesh intake screens in the side scoops.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:52 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I very recently bought a 2016 981 converted by DeMan in late 2020. I've had only issue with the engine. The fault code for the engine fans had been suppressed from showing up in the multi-function display, but was discoverable with the PIWIS scanning tool. Turns out both engine fans had been fouled by track debris, and were not working. They have been replaced with new fans, and I've installed mesh intake screens in the side scoops.
Scott, what does "I've had only issue with the engine" mean?

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 08-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

My post is self explanatory. I've had no other issues with the engine beside the intake fans, which were not the fault of the conversion. Other than that the engine has performed as intended and required no special maintenance issues.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:30 PM
taylormetric
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Been following these forums and this thread quietly for years, and decided to pay a surprise visit to Rick's shop last fall. Ended up getting lucky and finding a pre-built 4.25L 2016 DeMan GT4 on his showroom floor that one of his friends had on consignment with him. I bought it immediately, and had Rick and his team upgrade it to all the most modern internals and gearing. It's mint with only 11,xxx miles on it... maybe 500 of which are responsible track miles that I put on it myself at Monticello & Spring Mountain. It's been stored with Rick otherwise.

Anyway, it's unfortunately time I parted with her (already), as I'm hoping to consolidate my assets a bit while the markets are taking a dive, and I'm likely going to get into some sort of spec race car next so I can have fun competing, now that I have more experience.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where I should put her up for sale? I've already got her listed on the MMC classifieds, and privately with Rick. Thinking about taking out an ad here on Rennlist if y'all think it's worth it. Otherwise, anywhere else DeMan fans hangout?

My 2016 DeMan GT4 4.25L
The following 2 users liked this post by taylormetric:
Rick DeMan (08-20-2022), SFZ GT3 (11-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 10:25 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by taylormetric
Been following these forums and this thread quietly for years, and decided to pay a surprise visit to Rick's shop last fall. Ended up getting lucky and finding a pre-built 4.25L 2016 DeMan GT4 on his showroom floor that one of his friends had on consignment with him. I bought it immediately, and had Rick and his team upgrade it to all the most modern internals and gearing. It's mint with only 11,xxx miles on it... maybe 500 of which are responsible track miles that I put on it myself at Monticello & Spring Mountain. It's been stored with Rick otherwise.

Anyway, it's unfortunately time I parted with her (already), as I'm hoping to consolidate my assets a bit while the markets are taking a dive, and I'm likely going to get into some sort of spec race car next so I can have fun competing, now that I have more experience.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where I should put her up for sale? I've already got her listed on the MMC classifieds, and privately with Rick. Thinking about taking out an ad here on Rennlist if y'all think it's worth it. Otherwise, anywhere else DeMan fans hangout?

My 2016 DeMan GT4 4.25L
Is this a 4.25 or a 4.5? Shoot me a PM with details and maybe we can work out a deal.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:51 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 45 Posts

Lovely car Taylor Metric!

That is also exactly how I acquired my 4.5L beast - made a timely call to Rick and he just happened to have a freshly built 4.5L kicking around. I saved a lot of time AND money!

Jonathon, my car has been bullet proof. I have only put about 2K miles on the freshly built motor, but no issues whatsoever. In fact, my immediate comment to Rick was that everything is so thoughtfully engineered and built that the car feels like a factory GT Porsche.

I'm actually going to sell my AMG GTR now because it is actually kind of boring compared to my DMS GT4. The AMG is way faster, but now it falls short on the fun to drive scale compared to the GT4.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rob Wolford:
Rick DeMan (08-22-2022), sbrsport (08-27-2022), user1029 (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 06:35 PM
Knolly
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Some brief video from Mid-Ohio. Cayman S with 4.5L motor and a schmuck at the wheel doing his best. It was my first time at the track and was still getting a feel for the place:

Apologies for the wobbliness, I accidentally left on motion smoothness from a previous GoPro use and didn't notice until it was too late.

I have a clear lap then catch up to a GT2RS and try my best to stick with him. After he pulls off I eventually caught up to a GT3. Chasing both cars on the back straight really shows the strength of the motor. The GT2RS understandably walks away, the GT3, not so much - I was clocking 155 mph by the end of the straight which is the fastest this Cayman has ever seen. My A052 tires were really letting go towards the end of this but I'll be damned if this wasn't the most fun session I've ever had on track.
The following 7 users liked this post by Knolly:
Brainofjjj (09-21-2022), ealingj (08-23-2022), feirfiez (08-22-2022), JAhmed (08-30-2022), Rick DeMan (08-22-2022), Scott O'Connor (08-22-2022), SLATETT (08-23-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-2022, 07:15 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 319 Posts

Must have surprised the GT3 to see a GT4 keeping up in the rearview! What a car.
The following users liked this post:
Rick DeMan (08-26-2022)

Quick Reply: 4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport