Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Knolly
Just finished up my second track day with my 981 Cayman S with Deman motor, it was also my first track day with this setup with Apex wheels and proper track rubber.

This machine is mental and an absolute weapon. So much power and performance but so well balanced. Exploring the limits is a joy as it is always perfectly controllable. As silly as it is, there is a fun little satisfaction of hunting down a Mclaren, GT4, GT3, and GT2RS with something that visually looks pretty standard, even if the exhaust note makes it clear it's something very special. My little sleeper Cayman was a hoot, everyone who took it for a spin was blown away.
Have any video??

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 07-19-2022, 01:59 PM
Knolly
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Have any video??
I wish. Unfortunately I lost my Gopro mount and didn't realize it until it was too late. I'll be running with the same group at Mid-Ohio next month and I'll be ready!
Old 07-23-2022, 02:57 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

I was shown this thread by a friend of mine that is considering having this modification done to his 997.2 C2S. I currently own a 997.1 C2S and am aware that the M96/97 is completely different than the 9A1. Does DeMan do anything remotely similar to that power plant? I’ve already invested a lot of money into the car, low mileage and plan to keep for long time (couple k miles ago, had IMS solution done as a preventative measure, etc). I don’t see anything on their website, so I am assuming the answer is, NO.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:01 PM
na4life
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I was shown this thread by a friend of mine that is considering having this modification done to his 997.2 C2S. I currently own a 997.1 C2S and am aware that the M96/97 is completely different than the 9A1. Does DeMan do anything remotely similar to that power plant? I’ve already invested a lot of money into the car, low mileage and plan to keep for long time (couple k miles ago, had IMS solution done as a preventative measure, etc). I don’t see anything on their website, so I am assuming the answer is, NO.
You’ll have to ask Rick but I haven’t heard of them doing M96’ in the same fashion. That said, Sharkwerks has done tons of 4.1L conversions that people rave about.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 PM
boilerup1998
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just spent the last hour reading through this thread. Wondering if somebody can break it down for me and answer some of my questions. I have a stock 981 Spyder but I have no plans of putting on the track on a regular basis. I’m basically looking for a little more power during my weekend sprints. With that in mind, these are my questions.

1. What goes into the “basic“ 4.5 L upgrade? Does this include headers, exhaust, etc.?

2. Is it worth it to just have the 4.5 L engine upgrade done with no changes to the transmission gear ratios and differential? From what I read, I definitely will need a new clutch, but I’m wondering if the stock gears will hold up with this much power?

3. Does anybody have said upgrade that they can comment on question 2. given their personal experience?

3. What is the cost of a “basic“ upgrade like this? 4. What is the current turnaround time?

much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Cyclman (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 05:16 AM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

There is a lot on Rennlist in this section about costs etc. Certainly you can do the engine alone. But best to call Mr Deman for an answer.

Whilst we get Manthey Racing upgrades in Europe over this side of the pond we do wish we had access to Mr Deman or BGB too. Best of luck.

R
aryork (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 07:26 AM
boilerup1998
Advanced

I have already reached out to him directly and I anxiously await his answers. I was informed by another Rennlist member that their prices and leadtime have gone up recently. Was just wondering if anybody had personal experience that has recently gone through the process.

thanks for your feedback
Old 07-25-2022, 09:38 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

1. What goes into the “basic“ 4.5 L upgrade? Block bored out, new pistons, rods, crankshaft, maybe camshafts (you'd think I would know this), fix vario-cam bolts, install coil heat shields, same fuel injectors, and Cobb access port with a tune (probably more I'm leaving out). You will use Motul 300V Power 5W40 oil with the upgrade. Does this include headers, exhaust, etc.? What is "included" is a matter of how you want to package it, but basically its a la carte. You can pick different headers and at least a couple flavors of exhaust.

2. Is it worth it to just have the 4.5 L engine upgrade done with no changes to the transmission gear ratios and differential? From what I read, I definitely will need a new clutch, but I’m wondering if the stock gears will hold up with this much power? Last I heard stock gears are fine and it's not a matter of handling torque - swapping gears achieves more "even" ratios between gears and gets rid of the very long 2nd gear. The new clutch is a non-trivial change - you will get used to it, but don't go to a busy parking lot the first day you get it.

3. Does anybody have said upgrade that they can comment on question 2. given their personal experience? I like the new gear ratios, but I might like my $8k more If you have the extra money, do it. If not, IMO it would be fine to keep same gears. The new ones make a bit of a whining noise (which might reduce over time).
Rick DeMan (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 09:12 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by boilerup1998
I just spent the last hour reading through this thread. Wondering if somebody can break it down for me and answer some of my questions. I have a stock 981 Spyder but I have no plans of putting on the track on a regular basis. I’m basically looking for a little more power during my weekend sprints. With that in mind, these are my questions.

1. What goes into the “basic“ 4.5 L upgrade? Does this include headers, exhaust, etc.?

2. Is it worth it to just have the 4.5 L engine upgrade done with no changes to the transmission gear ratios and differential? From what I read, I definitely will need a new clutch, but I’m wondering if the stock gears will hold up with this much power?

3. Does anybody have said upgrade that they can comment on question 2. given their personal experience?

3. What is the cost of a “basic“ upgrade like this? 4. What is the current turnaround time?

much appreciated.
On #2 do the gears, it's 100% worth while.

On #3 it's worth every penny.
Rick DeMan (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 09:22 PM
SLATETT
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 92 Posts

I echo BealeAss - if you are going to do it .. do it all .. worth it!
Rick DeMan (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 10:50 PM
boilerup1998
Advanced

Have most people gone with the catlessheaders or ones with cats? Can anyone comment on the sound? Would it be too loud for driving on the streets without the cats?
The following 2 users liked this post by boilerup1998:
Rick DeMan (07-26-2022), Sim68 (08-04-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 AM
SLATETT
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 92 Posts

I went with catt’d and used my factory PSE . for me the sound is awesome .. I assure you .. the sound is loud enough and if you need to lighten up a bit .. turn off PSE
Rick DeMan (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:15 AM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 101 Posts

Have most people gone with the catlessheaders or ones with cats? Can anyone comment on the sound? Would it be too loud for driving on the streets without the cats?
Originally Posted by SLATETT
I went with catt’d and used my factory PSE . for me the sound is awesome .. I assure you .. the sound is loud enough and if you need to lighten up a bit .. turn off PSE
It's a pretty mixed bag among the owners in terms of setup of catted vs catless. I had catless then switched to catted, Rick makes his own headers so the power loss between the two is non-existant. I also agree with @SLATETT it's plenty loud catted w/ PSE. The 981's also use the x-pipe for a little more juice. Admittedly the catless was fun as heck for a bit, straight up cup car feel and sound, but the smell got to me after awhile.
Rick DeMan (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:55 PM
xller8
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know the general thinking on this, but I love the catless sound. On the streets, you could keep the valves 'off' but why deprive the masses of this amazing sound? Actually, it's not too loud unless you are aggressive.
Rick DeMan (08-02-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BealeAss
It's a pretty mixed bag among the owners in terms of setup of catted vs catless. I had catless then switched to catted, Rick makes his own headers so the power loss between the two is non-existant. I also agree with @SLATETT it's plenty loud catted w/ PSE. The 981's also use the x-pipe for a little more juice. Admittedly the catless was fun as heck for a bit, straight up cup car feel and sound, but the smell got to me after awhile.
I assume Rick supplies all upgrades tuned to 98 octane. I didn't ask for anything specific and that's what I got. So you need to add Boostane if you use pump gas. The bottle (or a really bad app) tells you how much to use - I believe it's about 5 oz per tank (14 gal) if you have the small tank in the 981 and start with 93. This boostane and no cats does not smell good. OTOH 98 Sunoco race gas smells delightful without cats (no kidding). I always make sure to fill up at the track before coming home so I get at least a tank of nice smell.

IMO the sound is no problem at all w/o cats if valves are closed (I have stock exhaust). It's very tame.

Here's a dyno pull video. I hope the tech had the valves open, but standing behind it is very loud - almost deafening to be honest once it gets to about 6k rpm...
The following 3 users liked this post by aryork:
BealeAss (08-02-2022), EvilTuna7 (08-02-2022), Rick DeMan (08-02-2022)

Quick Reply: 4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport