Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
The sound seems to be of a different pitch which is making me think it's a turbo. Also I think in the F1 days when Senna was racing and such I don't think I recall seeing videos where I could hear the turbos cause the motor was just so loud in general. That's what this reminds me of. I actually like this sound but I like the sound of my Spyder better. Seems somehow rather unrestricted - more angrier sounding. This sounds the business but somehow it sounds a bit more like the sound is coming from the exhaust and not really the motor? Make sense? More farty sounding I guess.
The sound is definitely not 981 like but that could be due to the noise regulations.

When we hear the RSR going by which is turbo, we clearly hear the turbo.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Turbo, NA, flux capacitor, whatever. Can we all agree though that it sounds awful, whatever it is?
Old 04-28-2018, 02:07 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

The Drive is leaning towards turbo in their take

Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 04-28-2018, 02:48 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tone has none of the harmonics or resonance of the flat 6 - NA or turbo. I've heard alot of Porsche street and racing motors and [to me] all the flat 6's retained that distinctive ''brapp'' or whatever you want to call it.

I just don't get that here at all. It doesn't really sound Porsche-like IMO.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So many competing views on what it is - can't wait to find out.

It's definitely a 6 - not based on my hearing, but those guys in the UK that actually ran the Spyder sound through a digital sound analyzer. It's posted on here somewhere - you can visually see it.

As to turbo or NA. I swore it was turbo from the Spyder videos (and maybe the Spyder could be different to the GT4) - but am now second guessing myself. Could be 981 engine bored to 4.0L with a bunch of inhibiting equipment on it, making it sound crap. And I tend to believe in those in the know (Whoopsy and CJ).

Time will tell - or until someone snaps that "upskirt" for us.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
I mean the GT4 is a street car but I digress. I hope you're right the production version of GT4 does not have it.
The race car and street car will have different wings as always.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
I liked the second car.

The GT4(RS?) was not revving that high, despite high load and there was a hint of flow noise (as indication of turbo), but clearly 6-cyl at least.
no hint of flow noise....
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I kinda of asked the question up top but I feel I need to ask it again. Is there a reason or a regulation that would require making the Club Sport version SOUND inhibited? I would have thought that the race car would have more latitude in terms of how they implement the exhaust and cats in order to maximum performance. In the more recent videos showing 2 GT4 Club Sports testing at the track, the exhaust signature sounds to be like an octave lower than the equivalent 981 Club Sport track test video from back in 2016.

Fine, I get that the road going version of the 718 GT4 might need to comply with stricter sound and emissions regulations that might result in a completely different sounding flat 6.

My point is that even on the track only Club Sport, which may not even be running the following items listed below, the engine sounds an octave lower and lacks the scream of most contemporary high output NA engines.
  1. Road going exhaust (Why the hell would they need a butterfly valve? Wouldn't higher decibels be allowed on the race car?)
  2. Road going cat (Are they permitted to run a homologated higher flowing cat?)
  3. Particulate filter (No idea if this is required to be preserved in the CS)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
From the muffler, that 911 is a NA car.

The full race cage, the slicks and the wing means it's a race car.

It lacks the aero bits to be a new GT3R. Or RSR for that matters.

Current Cup car is 2 years old, don't think they will change it.

That leaves few alternatives. Could be a new car that Porsche will be using to compete in the GT4 class,
It must be a test mule of some sorts.
Most likely a cup tub with RS panels, GT2RS or GTS motor and some additional aero.

Me thinks it is too early to be developing a GT4 911 to replace the Cayman GT4 for racing... The 718 GT4 has 2019 and 2020 race season before a replacement would come along. And they are still testing the 718 GT4 CS for 2019.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
That's something I can't figure out yet.

Cayman GT4 is just a street car.

Cayman GT4CS is the race car that can compete in the GT4 class. Doesn't seem to be too competitive vs the McLaren's and AMG GTs though.

2 more weeks until I am at Weissach to get some real answers.

The evo package has made the 981 GT4 somewhat competitive this year with a pro driver. With a bump from 375hp to 420hp for 2019, it will be able to hold its own against the McLarens', Benzs', audis' and mustangs etc...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
Does anyone know if the Club-sport (i.e. non street car) seen and heard in these latest videos are required to conform to the same stricter sound and emissions regulations as the euro road going versions? They definitely lack the sonorous scream of most race bread NA engines being driven in anger. I would have thought that race/track only cars might be exempt from one or both of the sound / emissions regulations since they are off road competition only.

If they are indeed exempt, why would they sound so vastly different than all the other Porsche NA engines? I'm not pretending to know the answer. I'm serious when I say that have no idea what configuration or regulations apply to a FIA GT4 classed vehicle as far as emissions and sound restrictions are concerned.
The Clubsports came with full exhaust and 200 cell cats. That is how they are run in GT4 racing. The MR also runs this full exhaust and cats as per the rules.
In PCA Trophy East and Pirelli Trophy West we ran into problems with the cats and Porsche issued 100 cell replacement cats that we were allowed to upgrade. (essentially cat-less).

(Given the exhaust plumbing and muffler, the 3.8L of the GT4 sounds different from the 991.1 Carrera 3.8L. So do not expect the 781 GT4 to sound like a GT3..)

In our experience, the MR cats only last a few races and have to be replaced. it is annoying and costly.
My guess is the 781GT4 CS is working on a better exhaust/cat system to finally correct this and the sound will be different again as result.

The fact is the 981 GT4 was quiet and never really made much noise.
The 718 GT4 will also be quiet but with a different sound again..

Last edited by tcsracing1; 04-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by bccars
Clearly 6 cylinder turbo car like I have suspected all along !
step away from the glue
Old 04-28-2018, 06:10 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Why do I think it's a 4 cylinder? It has a lot of Subaru in the sound.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:14 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I like the GT4 but I never really care for the Clubsport version. If I was going to be racing in the GT4 class and wanted to win I would go with the AMG or the McLaren product offering even if I was a Porsche fan simply because their cars are just more powerful and more capable. And those cars are turbocharged. And producing a lot of power. If Porsche had any hope of competing it would make sense to me that they went turbocharged as well. Disclaimer - I honestly do not know how well the 981 GT4 CS has done in competitive racing where the other GT4 class cars are competing.
This year Porsche issued an "EVO" package for the MR. It is carbon front fenders, bumpers and light weight headlights/battery. It helped the car be competitive again in GT4 however BoP decided to add weight back to the car...So now it is not as competitive as it should. The 718 GT4 hp will fix this.
The McLarens were not without fault. They are detuned. Some had extreme heat issues and fire.

The mid engine platform of the GT4 and massive brakes makes it a very balanced to car to drive. I enjoy racing it over front engine designed cars.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?