Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Aquaman1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
GT3 Manual? You mean it will come with a 6-speed manual....unless you plan to swap 180 deg the whole drivetrain.
If they do the 4L expect the same 6-speed we have now...nice way of keeping the lap times below the GT3.
Also.....the GT3 engine is dry-sump and would like to know how they plan to address the packaging on a smaller space.
Another area they may save some $$$ and keep performance down by reverting to a semi or wet sump system.
I really hope the 4.0L is the engine choice as I will definitely buy one....but there's still a 50/50 chance it can go either way.
We need more info or photos.......
Agreed— same rumours been doing the rounds for over a year now.... 🙄 Without any definitive proof/links/test mules, we are still non the wiser really... 😖
Old 04-10-2018, 09:13 AM
4nroots
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Detuned GT3 4.0L engine. Final HP figures have yet to be set, 425-450hp is possible, all depends on where they set the redline.

Will also have the GT3's 6 speed manual.

Coupe and Spyder versions.
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Cats out of the bag!
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
An educated guess makes sense only if it's an informed education. Let's just say I had a chat with a special cleaning lady to whom I asked direct questions and received indirect answers that were intended to provide directional confirmation without actually confirming anything in particular. I also almost worked for the CIA. Really.
Hope you all are right!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

GT3 Manual? You mean it will come with a 6-speed manual....unless you plan to swap 180 deg the whole drivetrain.
If they do the 4L expect the same 6-speed we have now...nice way of keeping the lap times below the GT3.
Also.....the GT3 engine is dry-sump and would like to know how they plan to address the packaging on a smaller space.
Another area they may save some $$$ and keep performance down by reverting to a semi or wet sump system.
I really hope the 4.0L is the engine choice as I will definitely buy one....but there's still a 50/50 chance it can go either way.
My guess is that they take the existing GT4 engine and smplely make it a 4.0L (unless they figure out a sump system that will fit.)
Expect to see heads, cams and throttle body like that of the X51 package without the intake.

420hp or 430hp will be the number.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Detuned GT3 4.0L engine. Final HP figures have yet to be set, 425-450hp is possible, all depends on where they set the redline.

Will also have the GT3's 6 speed manual.

Coupe and Spyder versions.
Any idea if the PDK-S will be offered as an option?

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie

Oh in all my excitement, I forgot to ask ....
Any chance of an RS version ?
thx in advance
Ed
Maybe there is room for both with that HP spread?

You probably mean the existing gear ratios. Not sure that the existing manual is strong enough to handle the power of the 4.0
Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Yes...existing gear ratios plus same model of transmission. If they do go with more power I think by now gear issues should have been addressed.
Anyway, there are various X51 4.0L already running around with very few issues so the potential for the same transmission to handle that kind of power is there.
Ohhh forgot...we will get a detuned engine!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the GT4 will be manual only. They aim this car at the "purist". It would also keep it from being too close in perfomance to the 911 GT3 Touring.

Personally, i would rather a PDK as i would use the car as a track rat with a license plate.
They might very well offer it as an option. Jury is still out as far as im concerned.

I still say no RS model.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:27 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

My guess is that they take the existing GT4 engine and smplely make it a 4.0L (unless they figure out a sump system that will fit.)
Expect to see heads, cams and throttle body like that of the X51 package without the intake.

420hp or 430hp will be the number.
If our 9A1 engine was still used this would be the logical path.....I wonder how close related are the current turbo and N/A 9A1 engines in terms of internal specs so they could revert back to N/A with +3.8L if needed for special projects.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:28 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I think the GT4 will be manual only. They aim this car at the "purist". It would also keep it from being too close in perfomance to the 911 GT3 Touring.

Personally, i would rather a PDK as i would use the car as a track rat with a license plate.
They might very well offer it as an option. Jury is still out as far as im concerned.

I still say no RS model.
100% agree with you.....I would also go with PDK this time if the option was offered.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I am new to this forum but from the reaction on the previous page I take it that when Whoopsy talks, we should listen. Would that be correct?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Not sure if I would agree here as I see the Touring more of a DD, C&C, wannabe R, etc purchase.

+1

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
I am new to this forum but from the reaction on the previous page I take it that when Whoopsy talks, we should listen. Would that be correct?
There are several members on here that have insight. You will get to know who they are the more you hang around on here.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Yes...existing gear ratios plus same model of transmission. If they do go with more power I think by now gear issues should have been addressed.
Anyway, there are various X51 4.0L already running around with very few issues so the potential for the same transmission to handle that kind of power is there.
Ohhh forgot...we will get a detuned engine!!!!!!
Agreed that they are in the wild. But PAG has concerns that aftermarket tuners don't have. PAG issues a lot longer warranty, has the distribution, has to be concerned about reliability, builds 1000s of the model, etc. The potential is there but when you take all of that into consideration you are playing in a different ballpark.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Agreed that they are in the wild. But PAG has concerns that aftermarket tuners don't have. PAG issues a lot longer warranty, has the distribution, has to be concerned about reliability, builds 1000s of the model, etc. The potential is there but when you take all of that into consideration you are playing in a different ballpark.
Correct and agree with you! But if having a special engine just for the car (either 4.0 L from GT3 or a 9A1 variant) is right now an issue imagine just making a special transmission just for the Spyder and GT4... this will definitely drive the cost up...more......I could see a reworked transmission like the one we have now or PDK. The current 718 GTS makes 309 ft-lb from 1900 rpms with a Manual transmission which is the same our stock GT4s make between 4750-6000 rpms....I think PAG did some homework when they switched to the 718 to handle that torque so low as we all know there are some "issue" with the GT4 transmission. Maybe they gave GT Gears a call!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Professor_Gascan
Track Day

Isn't a Cayman with a flat-6 basically a 911 powertrain spun around 180°? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Professor_Gascan
Isn't a Cayman with a flat-6 basically a 911 powertrain spun around 180°? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, from the outside...but you still need to change the transmission internals unless you want 6 (or 7) reverse gears! The manual transmission for the 981/718 is a different model/design from the 991.1/.2.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:21 AM
992mkim
AutoX

Yes, from the outside...but you still need to change the transmission internals unless you want 6 (or 7) reverse gears! The manual transmission for the 981/718 is a different model/design from the 991.1/.2.
im game if they can get the sky high ratios into a more useable form.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?