Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I was referring to the intel about the 4.0L and manual/pdk.
Please reread Whoopsy's post. IMHO he said what he could say and explained why in his post. That is very open and is more than you get from other sources.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
They cannot lower the gearing, if they are going with a 6spd (instead of 7) and will not raise the redline well above 8,000 rpm. With more power, the car is capable of higher top speed which means gearing needs to be even slightly taller (if power peak still comes around 7,400 rpm). If they let power peak come closer to 8k with 8,500 rpm redline then gearing can be improved (but then how do you lose 75hp from GT3/RS)? Maybe having an intake that is too small or a throttle butterfly that doesn't open all the way?

I think Porsche may also want to lower redline, so they can exchange the expensive Titanium conrods for steel units. Not sure how much lower redline needs to be before this is reasonable.
Yes and no. Porsche can change the gearing if they want to. The question will be if it will appease the trackrat or the autobahn driver. And who is to say that they couldn't change the final drive to go along with a gearing change to stay within boundaries. We all know that PAG is good at getting into someone's wallet as well as positioning within a hierachy.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 2,836 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Porsche can change the gearing if they want to. The question will be if it will appease the trackrat or the autobahn driver.
I am not aware of any instance in recent history (or ever with GT cars) where Porsche geared a sports car, so that Vmax was significantly lower than its theoretical maximum. And they are very careful to engineer the gearing spread for good high speed acceleration (i.e. they would never pack gears 1st through 5th closely and then tack on 6th gear for Vmax).

In that context, there is very little room for creative modification of the GT4 gearing without some increase to redline beyond 8k.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:25 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

It's definitely interesting to think what they set red line to. 8k should be easy with aluminum (assuming) rods. BMW did it in their S54 and post 2003 (when they fixed the bearings) didn't have any issues.

However, going off of a GT3 dyno, 8k might make too much power without additional restrictions. If they are restricting anyway, they could rev it past 8k (8200ish?) and market it heavily. Even keeping the existing red line of 7600, it's going to make more than 450 if they left everything alone on the inside/intake/heads/etc. At that point, the GT3 is making ~440 at the wheels. Maybe if you consider some additional drivetrain loss from being mid engined but that would mean it would put down ~420. there's no way porsche markets it at 450 with those kinds of numbers at the wheels, IMO. They could gimp it with a tune. I hope they do set the red line above 8 and gimp it in other ways like they did the existing one. That motor deserves to sing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...pd-manual.html
Old 04-11-2018, 04:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
You say it with such certainty like you have inside information
he does. one of the few.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

I am not aware of any instance in recent history (or ever with GT cars) where Porsche geared a sports car, so that Vmax was significantly lower than its theoretical maximum. And they are very careful to engineer the gearing spread for good high speed acceleration (i.e. they would never pack gears 1st through 5th closely and then tack on 6th gear for Vmax).

In that context, there is very little room for creative modification of the GT4 gearing without some increase to redline beyond 8k.

This. They are geared to work on track, even if the track has straights like the nurburgring. Honestly, I like it this way because the gear to gear spacing is always consistent, even if a bit wide. On the GT4 I don't think much performance on track is gained at all with shorter gears, it would just feel more punchy.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I am not THAT good.

It's true I have access to Zuffenhausen and Weissach personal in addition to local HQs, And there are some really really certain and juicy information that I simply cannot post, cause someone will lose their job for the leak. Some stuff I posted are with the blessing from Porsche, others I sort of push the boundary a little bit, especially when someone else leaked it first, then I can sort fo add to the leak, but there are some that they specifically said I cannot disclose no matter what.

At times the information I get will not be the production ones as they do change their plans, and they have plenty of those and many factors will cause them to change their mind, suppliers, accountants, marketing, etc.

There are a few others that get their information from different sources and when all the information backed up each other then one can assumed something will be correct.

As a parting gift, next month I will be visiting Weissach and will be the first people outside of Porsche personal to drive something special
so why does the spyder mule caught on video sound like a turbo 4?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Nimche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

I have a 718 Boxster S and I wish it sounded like this. It sounds more like 991.2 S
Old 04-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Don't look any farther than the current GT4. In manual or the PDK version as in the GT4CS. 2nd gear can be quite a bit shorter if I were in charge. Some corners I really would want to take in 2nd gear but I have to be in 1st gear simply because if gearing.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:53 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

So this is how Porsche is going to amortize the cost of the GT3 4.0L NA H6... 911 Speedster anyone? Perhaps it too will be detuned to the same extent of the 718 GT4 to preserve the hierarchy.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/po...st-hurrah-991/
Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
he does. one of the few.
Only at times when they don't change their mind from the tine I talked to people and the time they actually release the cars.

I will know more about the GT4 next month when I am actually inside Weissach facility. Actually my focus will be on the race car version but.

But baring any surprises, I am quite sure of what I had posted already. anyways as a 'racer' for them now, I get to access a different set of people.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 2,836 Posts

Don't look any farther than the current GT4. In manual or the PDK version as in the GT4CS. 2nd gear can be quite a bit shorter if I were in charge. Some corners I really would want to take in 2nd gear but I have to be in 1st gear simply because if gearing.
I agree and I wish the gearing would have been both lower overall and closer spaced ratios in the GT4. But with gearing, you can't have your cake and eat it too - it's all about compromise. If you shorten 2nd gear, then you have to shorten the rest of the gears or increase the spacing among them (already too wide, imo).

But...If I made a custom gear set for myself (for mostly local track use), the top speed would end up being about 30mph slower than how Porsche geared it (and ratios much closer together). Porsche wouldn't do that, because they wanted that car to go 183 mph (and it was nice to have that capability on the Autobahn and Nordschleife when I was there). But in Denver, 153 mph is more than enough (including local track). By spacing the gears more closely, the car would really rip! But, then the car would also be pretty buzzy on the highway and get worse fuel mileage.

I would like to think the perfect answer would be to offer standard gearing and an optional "Sport" gearing (if Sport includes Nurburgring runs where the redline in 6th gear is your limiting factor). But that would never work - since Porsche is already struggling with emissions and consumption issues with its NA motors and lower gearing would make matters worse.

Maybe Porsche will surprise us and make the redline at least 8,500 rpm which will give them the room to make the gearing a bit better. Then they'll have to be creative in how they bleed off >75hp (since the GT3 RS makes 520 hp at lower revs than this).
Old 04-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free

You do realize Porsche have had every single engine they made fitted to the Cayman/Boxster body to try out. All the way from the turbo 4 to turbo 6 to NA 6. Any video is useless if there is no date included. They even had the GT2RS engine inside a mule, but that version is definitely NOT going into production,
Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You do realize Porsche have had every single engine they made fitted to the Cayman/Boxster body to try out. All the way from the turbo 4 to turbo 6 to NA 6. Any video is useless if there is no date included. They even had the GT2RS engine inside a mule, but that version is definitely NOT going into production,
This is interesting if true. Makes perfect sense, actually.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

..... anyways as a 'racer' for them now, .....
Congrats

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?