Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018 | 07:32 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You do realize Porsche have had every single engine they made fitted to the Cayman/Boxster body to try out. All the way from the turbo 4 to turbo 6 to NA 6. Any video is useless if there is no date included. They even had the GT2RS engine inside a mule, but that version is definitely NOT going into production,
Thanks for the response. Your comment on the GT2RS engine is interesting considering Porsche claimed a two turbo flat 6 won’t fit in the 982 chasis... also seems late in the game for a mule with a flat 4 in a mule, as that was only a few weeks ago. You stated things change, so Maybe that means the decision isn’t made yet?
Old 04-11-2018 | 07:34 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

You do realize Porsche have had every single engine they made fitted to the Cayman/Boxster body to try out. All the way from the turbo 4 to turbo 6 to NA 6. Any video is useless if there is no date included. They even had the GT2RS engine inside a mule, but that version is definitely NOT going into production,
What about all the naysayers who say the flat 6 turbo doesn't fit in the cayman chassis? I still think that is what was on that video
Old 04-11-2018 | 07:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Thanks for the response. Your comment on the GT2RS engine is interesting considering Porsche claimed a two turbo flat 6 won’t fit in the 982 chasis... also seems late in the game for a mule with a flat 4 in a mule, as that was only a few weeks ago. You stated things change, so Maybe that means the decision isn’t made yet?
Who is to say that PAG doesn't have multiple variation running around at the same time?

And fit can mean a number of things: like thermal, projected reliability, etc, etc
Old 04-11-2018 | 07:41 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Who is to say that PAG doesn't have multiple variation running around at the same time?

And fit can mean a number of things: like thermal, projected reliability, etc, etc
PAG can have a flux capacitor in a mule at their own discretion, but certainly wouldn’t make any sense. If the GT4 engine selection is as concrete as some say it is, then Curious why they would.
Old 04-11-2018 | 08:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free
PAG can have a flux capacitor in a mule at their own discretion, but certainly wouldn’t make any sense. If the GT4 engine selection is as concrete as some say it is, then Curious why they would.
Maybe they are doing other systems tests. Who knows. Why waste a good test mule just because it doesn't have the engine everybody expects.
Old 04-11-2018 | 08:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bk_911
What about all the naysayers who say the flat 6 turbo doesn't fit in the cayman chassis? I still think that is what was on that video
it dosnt fit.
Old 04-11-2018 | 08:21 PM
VLJ
Pro

Maybe not without modification. IIRC modifications were made to the current GT4 engine to make it fit, also.
Old 04-11-2018 | 08:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VLJ
Maybe not without modification. IIRC modifications were made to the current GT4 engine to make it fit, also.
Air intake, oil filter and exhaust IIRC. Moving around 2 turbos might be a completely different story as tcsracing1 has previously posted.
Old 04-11-2018 | 08:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
So this is how Porsche is going to amortize the cost of the GT3 4.0L NA H6... 911 Speedster anyone? Perhaps it too will be detuned to the same extent of the 718 GT4 to preserve the hierarchy.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/po...st-hurrah-991/
I heard that the Speedster might get the full 520hp from the RS (or more than 500 anyways).

As far as preserving the hierarchy, the Speedster is going to be expensive (price beginning with a 2 - maybe close to a 3). No worry about stepping on toes at that level...And it’s a numbered limited edition.
Old 04-11-2018 | 09:11 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

That would be some beast of a convertible and a non GT dept product at that!
Old 04-11-2018 | 09:50 PM
otisdog
Pro

Ignore...aka "delete"
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:00 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

You do realize Porsche have had every single engine they made fitted to the Cayman/Boxster body to try out. All the way from the turbo 4 to turbo 6 to NA 6. Any video is useless if there is no date included.
They even had the GT2RS engine inside a mule, but that version is definitely NOT going into production,

I would love to get a ride in the mule
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VLJ

They might have fitted a flat six with turbos (for what ever reason?)... but it wasnt the configuration of the 991.2 Carrera S motor as it would have the turbos in the driver and passenger compartment given the length.
They would have to relocate the turbos etc to shoehorn the engine in the chassis which would be a waste of time IMO.

Kinda like putting a square block in a triangle. You would have to cut open the triangle or stack everything on top of the triangle....
Old 04-12-2018 | 03:26 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

I realize this is take-it-or-leave-it info without a warranty, but I don't buy it. Manufacturers don't waste resources like that. Trying out two different concepts on the road would be unusual, but possible. But engines that clearly don't fit while having no possible use in this platform? No way. They know pretty much exactly how the cars will perform (in all aspects) even before they put an actual engine in them. By the time it gets to extensive road testing like we've seen them do we are really talking about calibration and final evaluation plus the obvious reliability testing in different climates. A GT2 RS engined mule sounds like pure pub talk and makes no sense on any level.
Old 04-12-2018 | 09:17 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by JCviggen
I realize this is take-it-or-leave-it info without a warranty, but I don't buy it. Manufacturers don't waste resources like that. Trying out two different concepts on the road would be unusual, but possible. But engines that clearly don't fit while having no possible use in this platform? No way. They know pretty much exactly how the cars will perform (in all aspects) even before they put an actual engine in them. By the time it gets to extensive road testing like we've seen them do we are really talking about calibration and final evaluation plus the obvious reliability testing in different climates. A GT2 RS engined mule sounds like pure pub talk and makes no sense on any level.
Don't get too hung up on the GT2 comment. Has anyone even remotely spied one doing actual road testing? You and I don't know what Porsche does and doesn't do and why. Never underestimate a bored engineer with nothing else to do on a Saturday night and blessings from management. I know I've done some weird stuff programming that's now widely used at my company because I was bored and wondered "what if?"

It's entirely plausible that the video surfaced of the flat 4 but all the actual spy shot times the mule was running around with the 4.0. Those are more secluded from the average joe and thus Porsche can control it easier. Besides, all those times were in extreme weather (snow/ice).

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?