Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018 | 10:40 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by otisdog
Your arguments are rather specious...how do you get to a $350K Cayman? Then you say that the two cars have a price that is either the same or $5K difference? A GT3 , or even a GT3 RS doesn't cost $350K. You can have it one way or the other, but not both. Then consider this...by the time a GT4 RS would hit the market there would be no GT3 models for sale - they'll be out of production. So, actually, there would be no "competition" between the two model ranges. The GT3 boys will already be salivating over the new 992 GT3, which, I think, won't be a very slow car. How is a rear multilink 'a must'? You work at Weissach? Have you driven a 500HP cayman? Okay, so how hard would that GT4 multilink be to come up with? The RSR has got a cayman bulkhead. It's also got a multilink suspension bolted to that bulkhead - not really that much of the stretch that you claim...
You, and a couple of other people on this forum are adamant that a GT4 RS is not coming, and your arguments are more emotional than factual.
Can I remind you everything on this thread is not factual.....If you do only 500 like the previous poster mentioned guess what will happen...can you say 9111R hysteria again? Then I mention about taking the limited production out and you can bet the price would be close to a GT3. Is that too wild of a guess to understand? I'm not emotional so not sure where you come from on that...just voicing my opinion on what after many years working on the auto industry can guess...and I stress "guess" here...could happen. If you read my posts you will see I'm good with a RS but the reality is that there are a lot of people that take some comment and forget how a business works. I have seen far more science fiction posts on this thread that mine without a reaction like yours which is the one pretty much emotional.....but we will see next year what will happen, I'll buy you a round of drinks if the RS happens how about that?
Old 06-13-2018 | 10:44 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Wouldn't have matter if the other one is already out of production.

Plus, the HP rating would be different simply because of different intake and exhaust configuration.
Great points
Old 06-13-2018 | 10:48 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by GAZZ
At the same time by not having a high end mid engine platform they are missing out on my business and many others who simply do not want the inferior driving dynamics of a rear engine car. Even if the GT3 had an 18,000 RPM engine and I dont care that much about the price, I just dont want a car that suffers from lift off oversteer at the limit. I want it to do what I tell it to do, not the other way around.
Gazz a stroked 4l with X51 cams and porting will make a big difference to the GT4 - if it comes with that, it will perform in a very similar manner to the current GT3 engine right up to the redline @ 7800 rpm - keep in mind although the higher red line of the GT3 delivers higher AFW HP the RWHP suffers disproportionately higher losses.

The current GT cars and indeed the Carreras (S and above) have rear axle steering as standard (or option in the case of the carreras) and this delivers a very balanced handling experience e.g.during high speed cornering the wheelbase from a dynamics POV is extended by 20 inches. Thus delivering a mid-engined like feel - the bigger problem with these cars is the lack of wheel and tire choice due to the rear axle steering rams (e.g. need to be 20 inch with a specific offset and barrel design to allow the rams to move unhindered - I believe in the US there a some boutique 19 inch solutions).

I track my GTS spec car regularly and the only thing that holds it back is tires e.g. corner speed is limited by grip

Last edited by groundhog; 06-13-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2018 | 11:38 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

My Son found these photos posted today on the net. Looks pretty 718 GT4 like.. They were hanging with that preproduction 911.

Old 06-13-2018 | 11:52 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Thanks for posting, but those are a few months old.
Old 06-14-2018 | 12:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

yawn....
Old 06-14-2018 | 03:25 AM
Gatte
Instructor

Wow. Look at everything Whoopsy caused.
I kid of course.

On a serious note, when has porsche really gone and put completely different engines in their GT and RS models ??
If the GT4 is getting a non GT engine stroked to 4L and the GT4 RS gets the GT3 engine, I am fairly certain a lot of GT4 buyers will be extremely unhappy.

I really don't care for the "Buy the GT4 RS" argument because the GT4 RS will not come with a manual transmission.
Old 06-14-2018 | 04:41 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GAZZ
At the same time by not having a high end mid engine platform they are missing out on my business and many others who simply do not want the inferior driving dynamics of a rear engine car. Even if the GT3 had an 18,000 RPM engine and I dont care that much about the price, I just dont want a car that suffers from lift off oversteer at the limit. I want it to do what I tell it to do, not the other way around.
But that's the fun and the challenge that makes it so.

At this point, I am reading this thread for the pictures... Let me know when PAG says something.
Old 06-14-2018 | 07:04 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

I personally think the GT4 RS is vaporware, even if a test mule exists.
​​​​​​
Has Porsche ever offered two RS trims in two separate model lines simultaneously? I don't believe so...
Old 06-14-2018 | 07:11 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
​​​​​​
Has Porsche ever offered two RS trims in two separate model lines simultaneously? I don't believe so...
Agreed, I wouldn't put the chances of it ever seeing the light of day at greater than 1 in 5. And only because the glorious NA engines are relatively close to being history, so they might possibly do it as a last hurrah kind of thing.
Old 06-14-2018 | 08:38 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don’t think that’s a fair comparison though.

Like it or not, the Ring is the only one that matters. Firstly for the reasons you mentioned. It’s just so massive and diverse that it tests all facets of a car’s capabilities.

Just as important though is the fact that the world has sort of decided it is and therefore it’s the only place that everyone goes to make their name.

I think GM just recently set a record at VIR with the new Corvette. So what? Porsche isn’t gonna send their A team there to beat it with the GT2RS. Why would they? Nobody cares.
They claim to have set a track record at Road Atlanta with the new 'vette. This is 8 secs faster than my GT4... and that's a lot. Just wondering how many laps they could do like this.
Prob just the one before it breaks.

Old 06-14-2018 | 08:42 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

​​​​​​
I'm agnostic as to the existence of a GT4RS, but your reasoning is weak. Before 2016 had Porsche ever offered a Cayman GT car? And then they did.
Old 06-14-2018 | 08:49 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gatte
On a serious note, when has porsche really gone and put completely different engines in their GT and RS models ??
If the GT4 is getting a non GT engine stroked to 4L and the GT4 RS gets the GT3 engine, I am fairly certain a lot of GT4 buyers will be extremely unhappy.
Umm... 991.1? I know they're quite similar but they're not as similar as say the GT4 and 991.1 911 engines. Different displacement and all. The 4.0L was very much made just for the RS and different from the non-RS. They were far more different than the 991.2 cars are from one another.

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
They claim to have set a track record at Road Atlanta with the new 'vette. This is 8 secs faster than my GT4... and that's a lot. Just wondering how many laps they could do like this.
Prob just the one before it breaks.
Maybe that's the one I was thinking of rather than VIR. I knew it was some American track that Porsche has no reason to care about.

I mean... can you imagine if everyone felt the need to go and beat everyone else's track records at every random track around the world??
Old 06-14-2018 | 09:13 AM
VLJ
Pro

​​​​​​
Three years ago Porsche had never offered a GT car that wasn't a 911.

Things happen.
Old 06-14-2018 | 09:47 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VLJ
Three years ago Porsche had never offered a GT car that wasn't a 911.

Things happen.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/...sche-gt-cars#6

​​​​​​You sure?

Nothing is impossible, but I think highly unlikely. Porsche has offered a "GT" version of many model lines. My logic is that the RennSport designation will remain singular.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?