Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:23 PM
ciscostud
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
My dealer's cleaning lady's dog said similar. Gives me plenty of time to have fun, track a few more times, then trade or sell for the incoming 991.2 6mt GT3 in Aug.

<breathing easier>

Then the cycle may start all over again.

BTW,... dealer currently has 2 GT4s for sale, both listed for over MSRP.
Funny thing.. my SoCal dealer just told me the same thing.... well into next year for the GT4/Spyder to arrive...
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andial
Most of BMW's models aren't sports cars anymore. M2 and Comp aren't sold w/ ADM. It isn't special long term either. Lexus are making better driving cars now too, like the LC and F cars. Fun > fast for sure.
BMW doesn't make sports cars anymore and lexus is making better drivers cars... HAHAHA
Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
SoCal is a unique case. I would think M2 -> M2C, M4 -> M4CS.
It was. But there were plenty of other places in the country with 5-15k ADMs. As for the progression, that would be true if the M4CS wasn't 100k. That's not a lot of car for 100k. Lots of better options in the price range. Most enthusiasts over on bimmerpost want the M2C coming from the M4 because it's the M4 just in a smaller package that doesn't feel like a land boat.

I digress.

LAte next year would be good. Since I'm just a peasant maybe that means spring 2020 delivery which could mean positives in the European Delivery department!
Old 06-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by getoffmylawn
BMW doesn't make sports cars anymore and lexus is making better drivers cars... HAHAHA
Don't you think the current Lexus range is better driving than what they had 10 years ago? What sports cars does BMW make?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:30 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ciscostud
Funny thing.. my SoCal dealer just told me the same thing.... well into next year for the GT4/Spyder to arrive...
I really hope its announced at the LA auto show in November with them shipping to the US in Q1 2019
Old 06-05-2018, 11:24 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
It was. But there were plenty of other places in the country with 5-15k ADMs. As for the progression, that would be true if the M4CS wasn't 100k. That's not a lot of car for 100k. Lots of better options in the price range. Most enthusiasts over on bimmerpost want the M2C coming from the M4 because it's the M4 just in a smaller package that doesn't feel like a land boat.

I digress.

LAte next year would be good. Since I'm just a peasant maybe that means spring 2020 delivery which could mean positives in the European Delivery department!
I’m sure there are people over on bimmerpost who also want to talk about bmw’s...
Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

This same side topic is on the Yugo forum. There are a surprising number of BMW fans on that forum.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Guys would this be a reasonable synopsis of the last 153 pages

(1) . GT4 RS is a possibility and not a probability - if it eventuates it will have PDK-S and NA 4l GT3 engine (450 to 500HP)
(2) . GT4 CS is a reality - it has PDK and a stroked 4l from 3.8l NA power kit like engine (420HP to 450HP)
(3) . GT4 is a reality - it has manual and a 4 stroked 4l from 3.8l NA power kit like engine (420HP) and will not have PDK as an option

Out side of the current GT3 which other Porsche engines have been 4l e.g. 997 GT3 RS 4l - nice engine, in fact way better than nice , 991.1/.2 GT3 RS anything else???

Are we likely to see any improvements e.g. compression ratio, oiling, perhaps 2 flap resonant intakes to deliver more low-end torque????
ClubSport has the exact same engine as the street car, so 420HP.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,015 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
This same side topic is on the Yugo forum. There are a surprising number of BMW fans on that forum.
Apparently, on the Yugo forum, the Y2K is going to be the next big thing...............I have heard that before........somewhere

Last edited by groundhog; 06-06-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,015 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
ClubSport has the exact same engine as the street car, so 420HP.
thanks your comments have been very helpful

would you have some educated guesses/insights to potential changes to the front and rear suspension set up?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM
snowmants
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hams955
I think the point being conveyed is that it would appear the forthcoming GT4 is questionable as to whether or not it will jump a performance gap enough to compel present GT4 owners to trade up. Personally speaking, the current rumor mill doesn't excite me enough to make me want to jump. I'd rather mod my current GT4 to bring it up to current standards and keep what I have.

One that hasn't been discussed really is chassis/suspension tweaks. We won't know anything about that until official unveiling. This conjecture was similar with the new 991.2 3RS. Again, the power numbers and body restyling didn't persuade me on paper to make the jump from my .1 to the .2. The unveiling revealed a lot of changes under the chassis which, when coupled with the newer N2 SC2's, yields a MUCH faster car overall. For this I made the jump to the .2

It remains to be seen what other tweaks we can expect to see on the new car. I, for one, hope they worked on dialing out the toe changes to the rear suspension. I hope the curve has been reduced somewhat. This hasn't been discussed much as we just won't know until the car is unveiled officially.

- Chris.
My guess is another part of the equation will be Porsche getting the gear ratios right this time around with the manual box. if there was one pervasive complaint from most auto journalists who reviewed the car, it was the gearing. Surely Porsche has received this message loud and clear and will fix it this time around. That, paired with the uprated motor, and suspension tweaks, and interior improvement, could be enough to sway current GT4 owners to trade up to the newer model. Porsche is pretty good at extracting money from customers with incremental increases that are JUST significant enough to bring out the checkbooks.....
Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmants
My guess is another part of the equation will be Porsche getting the gear ratios right this time around with the manual box. if there was one pervasive complaint from most auto journalists who reviewed the car, it was the gearing. Surely Porsche has received this message loud and clear and will fix it this time around. That, paired with the uprated motor, and suspension tweaks, and interior improvement, could be enough to sway current GT4 owners to trade up to the newer model. Porsche is pretty good at extracting money from customers with incremental increases that are JUST significant enough to bring out the checkbooks.....
Gearing won't improve without a higher redline. No Porsche is geared without its top Autobahn speed in mind. 718 GT4's top speed will be faster than 981 GT4, so no way to lower gearing without a higher redline.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,131 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe

BTW,... dealer currently has 2 GT4s for sale, both listed for over MSRP.
Yup.
San Diego has 2 yellow GT4's.
Both are around $96 - $97,000
One has 5200 miles and the other has 14,100
Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmants
Nope, one is still stuck with that anaemic 2nd gear
Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Nope, one is still stuck with that anaemic 2nd gear
That doesn’t surprise me as I don’t think Porsche believes they got it wrong in the first place. The gearing was as they intended.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?