Notices
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Porsche?
Porsh
19.57%
Porsha
80.43%
Voters: 695. You may not vote on this poll

How do you pronounce Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tippy
That is the English version I believe, the German is slurred like Rishter, but yes, that is how we pronounce.

I'd say Low - c
There is no "s" sound in Richter, trust me. The German "ch" sound is hard to describe. More like a soft version of a cat hiss.

This thread is silly

Stefan (Richter)
Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

On second thought, this thread reminds me of a Saturday Night skit, where the newsanchor attempted to pronounce all foreign words in proper accent (best Spanish version of Puerto Rico, Russian of Moscow, German, ok Austrian of Wien). Sounded ridiculous.

My kids call my car "Sally", as in the "holy porsh" from the Disney movie Cars. I avoid saying Porsche for all the above reasons, and call the car a 911.

Stefan
Old 02-08-2008, 04:06 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooverwi
+1 on Porsh-uh. I think the San Diego parade committee could probably sall a bunch more of their "Porsch-UH" shirts! Looks great in Bright Yellow!

I enjoyed the thread - and the humor of Howard the dUck??? That must be what he meant......
Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I had a great day driving in my Porsche.

I saw a guy behind me taking pics of the back end of the car on his cell phone at a light.

Being a cool Porsche owner, I pressed the button and raised the Rear spoiler for him and then lowered it.
He responded with a Big Thumbs Up.

Then, I was out buying a Special Tire Plug Kit for all three of my cars, especially for the Porsche and I ended up talking to a bunch of guys about the car, they were doing construction at the stoor next to the one I was at.

No matter how you say it, if you are a cool Porsche, people know it.

I love my Porsh

Howard
Old 02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

P-CAR yoooooo

and if its a Volkswagen with a Porsche Engine, its VORSCHE!!!

and if you dont like Porsche's "Hey looks its a really expensive Volkswagen"

and i think its PORSCHA!!

and if your dumb "PORCHHE!!"
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My father-in-law calls it:
"One of those fancy race cars"
Old 02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I'd never correct someone for mispronouncing the word. It's kind of rude to walk around telling people that they're pronouncing words incorrectly, even if that's what they're doing.
Especially if they KNOW it's the wrong way. Don't you think? I mean, to me it's always been Porsh. I like the way it sounds and that's that!
Old 02-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefan Richter
There is no "s" sound in Richter, trust me. The German "ch" sound is hard to describe. More like a soft version of a cat hiss.

This thread is silly

Stefan (Richter)
Learn something everyday.......
Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is silly

Stefan (Richter)
You're right, in most places there's no "s" in Richter, but have you ever been in Dresden, Leipzig or Chemnitz? In Saxony people say "Rischter" and as there's one great Porsche factory in Leipzig, local people also call it: Poorschä.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Originally Posted by hwk72
You're right, in most places there's no "s" in Richter, but have you ever been in Dresden, Leipzig or Chemnitz? In Saxony people say "Rischter" and as there's one great Porsche factory in Leipzig, local people also call it: Poorschä.
Not to hijack this thread, but i was born in Munich, brought up to believe that if it's not in Bavaria, it's not relevant So, if some northerner wishes to mispronounce my name ... . Hmmmm, if someone mispronounces my name, and I can't hear it, has that person really said anything?

Happy Friday

Stefan (don't try to pronounce that either)
Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UFO007
That's not true. In France I am Daveed, yet here I am just David. As has already been mentioned: In France it's Paree, but it's Paris to the rest of us. I hate to talk so much about the French. How do you pronounce Nordschleife? Nordshlife or Nordshleaf? Americans speak English, so why do you call it Aluminum when the English dictionary states it's Aluminium? What if my name is Anthony and I insist on you pronouncing it Anthony and not Antony? Am I wrong? Caff or Caffee or Caf-a? English speaking people call the country E-raq yet Americans call it I-raq. The list is endless.

Yeah, I call my car a Porsh and my shoes Nike.

We're introspective, politically correct, self-critical Americans, and we're always wrong!

My last name, in my forefather's land, would be pronounced Chi-rillo (begins with "Ci"). But those letters are pronounced "Si-rillo" in English. I'll answer to the Italian pronunciation, and find it fun; but I would never insist on it, nor do I take offense to an American pronunciation.

So, could it be said that taking offense to the US pronunciation of Porsche is evidence of the very snobbery that makes it so hard for some of us to say it in the German pronunciation?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stefan (don't try to pronounce that either)
Yea, how do you get Steven out of Stephan?

Or, kernel out of Colonel?

Cohm out of comb.........stupid English, made to be read and written by the Aristocrats only.....there is where the issue lies.....
Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
vyper340
Pro

For those of you who know German... it is prounounced more like Poor-shza
Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
steve germany
Instructor

Here in Germany I don't hear too many mispronounciations of "POOR SHA" except by my American Co-workers. I've made sure that upon indocternation the correct pronunciation is part of the things they learn to protect us from the ignorant American syndrome.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My smartass friends say Porsheee
Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that in the US. Many Americans can't roll Porsh-eh off their tongues without sounding like a kid in first year German/French/Spanish simply because many of us only speak English. We are not used to pronouncing foreign names and words correctly! In Europe, almost everyone is bi-lingual, and are able to correctly pronounce foreign words!

In a nutshell, it's pronounced Porsh-eh, with a tiny "eh" forming the second syllable. Saying "Poorsh" is wrong.

For the record, I say Porsh-eh / Owdie!

Quick Reply: How do you pronounce Porsche?