Notices
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Porsche?
Porsh
19.57%
Porsha
80.43%
Voters: 695. You may not vote on this poll

How do you pronounce Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsch? Ugh, that makes my soul cry.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see now, the Frenchman by the name of Chevrolet somehow got his name on a car. His name is pronounced chev-row-lay but lets call his car chev-row-let. Makes sense to me. Go ahead and ignore the surname of the fking founder!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche is a 2 syllable word. It's a man's name for the love of God--there is only one way to pronounce it. The posers say "Porsh", those in the know say "Porsche". Quite honestly if you own one of these cars and can't pronounce the name, you don't deserve to drive it. Sorry, just how I feel.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

+1 on Porsh-uh. I think the San Diego parade committee could probably sall a bunch more of their "Porsch-UH" shirts! Looks great in Bright Yellow!

I enjoyed the thread - and the humor of Howard the dUck??? That must be what he meant......
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Umm - I am a bit surprised. Given my car, as clearly seen in my avatar, no one has yet to correct me:

"Z-man, the correct way to pronounce your car's name is: Wolks-vag-on."

Happy Friday,
-Z
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I think this thread has become hilarious. First off, it kills me how so many self-righteous P-owners wants to tell everyone the correct way to say it, as I doubt there is one person on this entire board that does NOT know it's correct pronunciation is Porsha (uh). So, anyone trying to "educate" anyone else here on how to "say it" is most likely wasting their precious time.

The main question was simply how do YOU, as a Porsche owner say it. That's it!! I didn't realize how offended or affected so many people would become. It does, however; look as if about 20% of us, or one in five of us pronounce it wrong, and are (probably) "ok" with that fact.

Point is, who cares, there are two ways in which it happens to be pronounced. One right, and one...not so right, but "ok" nonetheless. I simply think people here need to realize many people say it Porsh and that's that. The number of "PORSH-owners flaming and getting upset about such an insignificant thing makes me giggle. I mean, acceptance people, get over it!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Lets see now, the Frenchman by the name of Chevrolet somehow got his name on a car. His name is pronounced chev-row-lay but lets call his car chev-row-let. Makes sense to me. Go ahead and ignore the surname of the fking founder!
I didn't realize some people pronounce it "chev-row-let."
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by arr0gant
I think this thread is hillarious. First off, it kills me how everyone wants to tell everyone the correct way to spell it, as I doubt there is one person on this entire board that does NOT know it's pronounced Porsha (uh). So, anyone trying to educate anyone else here on how to "say it" is most likely wasting their precious time.

The main question was simply how do YOU, as a Porsche owner say it. That's it!! I didn't realize how offended or affected so many people would become. It does, however; look as if about 20% of us, or one in five of us pronounce it wrong, and are (probably) "ok" with that fact.

Point is, who cares, there are two ways in which it happens to be pronounced. I simply think people here need to realize many people say it call it Porsh and that's that. The number of "PORSH-owners flaming and getting upset about such an insignificant thing makes me giggle. I mean, acceptance people, get over it!
I think it's a light-hearted thread... YOU may just be taking it too seriously.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

totally dude it's like a wtf kinda thread
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArneeA
I think it's a light-hearted thread... YOU may just be taking it too seriously.
Right on, and I agree. It's just that some of the responses are trying to tell others the correct pronounciation when my initial intent was just to see how many people said it as it is intended and how many say it the "bastardized" way!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:51 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Right on, and I agree. It's just that some of the responses are trying to tell others the correct pronounciation when my initial intent was just to see how many people said it as it is intended and how many say it the "bastardized" way!
Have a beer mate, it's Friday!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Have a beer mate, it's Friday!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Slakr
Intermediate

Default and for all you coupe drivers....

How do you pronounce that?? Porsche videos on the website pronounce coup-aye......or is it Coupe, like Loop???
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Not so with people's names though.
Correct way to pronounce names are the way they are pronounced by the people who's name they are. Whether it's a Finnish name like mine which would be difficult to Americans but still the correct way to pronounce it is to pronounce it the way I do it.
That's not true. In France I am Daveed, yet here I am just David. As has already been mentioned: In France it's Paree, but it's Paris to the rest of us. I hate to talk so much about the French. How do you pronounce Nordschleife? Nordshlife or Nordshleaf? Americans speak English, so why do you call it Aluminum when the English dictionary states it's Aluminium? What if my name is Anthony and I insist on you pronouncing it Anthony and not Antony? Am I wrong? Caff or Caffee or Caf-a? English speaking people call the country E-raq yet Americans call it I-raq. The list is endless.

Yeah, I call my car a Porsh and my shoes Nike.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by UFO007
That's not true. In France I am Daveed, yet here I am just David. As has already been mentioned: In France it's Paree, but it's Paris to the rest of us. I hate to talk so much about the French. How do you pronounce Nordschleife? Nordshlife or Nordshleaf? Americans speak English, so why do you call it Aluminum when the English dictionary states it's Aluminium? What if my name is Anthony and I insist on you pronouncing it Anthony and not Antony? Am I wrong? Caff or Caffee or Caf-a? English speaking people call the country E-raq yet Americans call it I-raq. The list is endless.

Yeah, I call my car a Porsh and my shoes Nike.
Word up, my brutha!

Quick Reply: How do you pronounce Porsche?