Notices
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Porsche?
Porsh
19.57%
Porsha
80.43%
Voters: 695. You may not vote on this poll

How do you pronounce Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008 | 04:25 AM
Nightfly
Reanimator
Rennlist Member

My dad was german, and pronounced it porsch, with just a very slight tailing end e on it so you knew the word didn't end with the 'sh'. Too many people pronounce it por-sha, which just sounds weird, or por-sheh, or por-shuh. I don't think it should be two syllables.
Old 02-08-2008 | 04:26 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

You pronounce the "E" in German. "Poorsh" and "Poor-sha" are wrong. The correct way is "Poorsh-uh"... As above comment, a slight "uh" at the end. I must admit, if I am around people that will think I'm just trying to sound uppity...I say it wrong. I don't want the looks or comments.
Old 02-08-2008 | 04:39 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When I'm trying to deliberately sound inconspicuous or humble I'll say "porsh", otherwise it's "porsha".
Old 02-08-2008 | 07:38 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

As a NEW Porsche owner I'll give my take on things.

Keep in mind, I am a typical American Muscle Car Guy, Vettes, Vipers, and Mustangs are my usuals.

I know the proper pronunciation, but I say it as "PORSH".

The reason is simple, believe it or not, to the average person out there Porsche drivers are perceived to be snobs or snooty.

Saying "PORSHUH" just sounds popmpous to the average person here in the USA.

It also depends where you live.
If I am in my neighborhood, a nice neighborhood, but not $1,000,000+ homes in 2008 values, I am not going to say "PORSHUH".

If somebody said to me nice "PORSH" and I corrected them and told them the actual pronunciation is PORSHUH, I would expect them to say kind of like you are an ***, pronounced as "-sshole".

Now, if you are having wine and cheese at the Country Club and want to say "PORSHUH" you really are pompous and it would be OK to pronounce it that way.

Just my take on things.

For example, I have a Doctorate in Pharmacy, but I don't use Doctor in front of my name, that would just be pompous. Especially while putting my name in at a restaurant, what if somebody keels over and they ask if there is a doctor in the house and somebody points to me and I have to say, "Well, I am not a Medical Doctor, sorry".

I f any of the chiropractors I know call themselves "Doctor" I always remind them they are just Massage Therapists without the Happy Ending
Funny, some of them drive "PORSHUHS"

Please, I hope nobody took offense to my rants, I am just trying to be funny and yes, I am a d-ck.

Howard

P.S. Obviously I voted "PORSH"
Old 02-08-2008 | 07:47 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Neither...it's PORSH-uh

Hear it for yourself:
http://german.about.com/library/media/sound/words_a.mp3

Last edited by cabrio993; 02-08-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2008 | 07:50 AM
Woody
Racer

22.99%> Porsh- Who let all the unwashed masses buy these cars
70.01%> Porsche (Porsch-uh) A bunch of stuck up so and so and sos
Poorsh-uh> After owning 3 of them, I do identify with the Poor part

Whatever you call it, Drive the thing and have fun
Woody
Old 02-08-2008 | 07:59 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

I think it's pronounced "en-zo"...
Old 02-08-2008 | 08:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arr0gant
...Is it pronounced Missouree or Missoura? The answer is what part of Missouri you're from!!
Not so with people's names though.
Correct way to pronounce names are the way they are pronounced by the people who's name they are. Whether it's a Finnish name like mine which would be difficult to Americans but still the correct way to pronounce it is to pronounce it the way I do it.

Same thing with Porsche, listen how the man himself pronounces it and that's the only correct way.

I agree with others that Enzo is by far better way to pronounce Porsche than Porsch.
Old 02-08-2008 | 08:56 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

How Do You Say “Porsche”?
Pronouncing German Words in English

"What is the correct pronunciation of Porsche? While the “proper” way to pronounce some German terms in English may be debatable, this isn't one of them. Porsche is a family name, and the family members pronounce their surname PORSH-uh, not PORSH! Same for the car. You don't say NYKE for Nike, so don't be lazy and leave off the e in Porsche! Porsche's U.S. TV commercials pronounce the name correctly and so should you."

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa020401b.htm

Nuff said, case closed.

Last edited by Jenner; 02-08-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: bold
Old 02-08-2008 | 09:10 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nightfly
My dad was german, and pronounced it porsch, with just a very slight tailing end e on it so you knew the word didn't end with the 'sh'. Too many people pronounce it por-sha, which just sounds weird, or por-sheh, or por-shuh. I don't think it should be two syllables.
That's what I'm trying to do. This way, noobs who pronounce it "Porsh" will just detect a little hesitation after I say it, and experts will hear the delay as the proper pronunciation. It's a tough transition. Anyone who thinks I'm being a snob just has to see my Porsch-uh.

Does anyone say Aw-dee for Audi?
Old 02-08-2008 | 09:58 AM
Blackness
Pro

More like Porsh-uh. But not too much emphasis on the "uh". Kinda like just letting your breath out.

I'm a bit self concious driving the car from time-to-time (see the "guilt" thread), but I make sure I pronounce the name correctly. Like the t-shirt says, it's a two syllable word.
Old 02-08-2008 | 10:09 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

You can slurp, slurp, slurp your soup loudly with your hand over the top of the handle on your spoon and successfully eat but when you realize it is not proper you should try to have a few manners and change your ways young man. - Momma to me at about 10 years of age

Porsche(uh)
Old 02-08-2008 | 10:13 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

In Singapore they say Porsh-AYY. I love it.

J
Old 02-08-2008 | 10:21 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I go both ways. Wow, that sounds bad.
Old 02-08-2008 | 10:21 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

"porch"

Quick Reply: How do you pronounce Porsche?