Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
I always go slow into T1 on a start. I lift very early, cover the brake early, brake early but lightly to warn behind me and then roll through the apex probably at 8/10ths so I can avoid wrecks/mistakes. I've never won a race on lap 1 but I have lost many that way before I got much more conservative.
Yeah my goals are 1. survive 2. don't lose too many places. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get dropped out of the draft, so I just chilled out behind Tony for the first bit. I know I'm unsettled driving watching my mirrors on the first lap, so I really try to just hit the marks and calm myself down before I go on the attack.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 PM
carmad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were missed Julian. We had a fair sized field too.

Two spins and a win shows you how rusty we all were. I was just lucky my car never took any damage.
Sounds like I missed a good race, love Watkins Glen. Got my issue resolved by Susan at iracing, had Internet Explorer problem, working fine now. See you on Sunday for practice.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM
loxner

I always go slow into T1 on a start. I lift very early, cover the brake early, brake early but lightly to warn behind me and then roll through the apex probably at 8/10ths so I can avoid wrecks/mistakes. I've never won a race on lap 1 but I have lost many that way before I got much more conservative.
Originally Posted by JustinL
Yeah my goals are 1. survive 2. don't lose too many places. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get dropped out of the draft, so I just chilled out behind Tony for the first bit. I know I'm unsettled driving watching my mirrors on the first lap, so I really try to just hit the marks and calm myself down before I go on the attack.
Agree on both counts when it comes to iRacing. Mistakes on the start can also screw up a lot of other peoples' races as well as your own due to the close proximity. Starts/passing are particularly hard for me since I'm not yet running the triple screen setup. That's part of why I braked early and fell back in behind Justin on the start, rather than stay alongside and go 3 wide into T1. Risky move in general, and especially so when you effectively have blinders on from the A-pillars back.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by loxner
Agree on both counts when it comes to iRacing. Mistakes on the start can also screw up a lot of other peoples' races as well as your own due to the close proximity. Starts/passing are particularly hard for me since I'm not yet running the triple screen setup. That's part of why I braked early and fell back in behind Justin on the start, rather than stay alongside and go 3 wide into T1. Risky move in general, and especially so when you effectively have blinders on from the A-pillars back.
Yeah I generally go SUPER conservative on starts. Leave a big enough gap to the car in front of me that if he stabs the brakes, I have time and space to react. Generally brake earlier than necessary, while watching mirrors, so that if it's obvious the guy behind me didn't expect me to hit the brakes, I can move forward to get out of his way.

The only "moves" I take are ones where it's VERY obvious I can complete it WHILE maintaining the same buffer I mentioned previously. i.e. guy stalls it at the start in a standing start, and I can cleanly get 100% around him. Otherwise I'll just try to maintain the position I'm in and not really fight anyone. Too big of a risk.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:36 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by loxner
That's part of why I braked early and fell back in behind Justin on the start, rather than stay alongside and go 3 wide into T1.
I saw you sniffing around and tried to position myself to dissuade you from trying that without giving up too much exit speed to Tony.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:16 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So maybe you guys all know each other because you've been racing together for decades, but as the new guy I'm struggling to put handles to names, so here's a quick mapping for my own benefit if no one else's...
  1. Tom R. - abqautoxer
  2. Allen B. - Burkey
  3. Philip M. - pmason
  4. Luke O. - loxner
  5. James P. - OmniGLH
  6. Justin L. - JustinL
  7. George B. - George_B
  8. Stephane S. - Sysgen
  9. Ben L. - 87944turbo
  10. Andrew C. - Gator_86_951
  11. Glenn M. - ?
  12. Stephane V. - StefVanasse
  13. Sean M. - Indy Rev
  14. Bobby C. - HoBoJoe
  15. Charles T. - Charles A. Toupin
  16. Scott B. - sbelles
  17. Anthony N. - Anthony Nguyen
  18. Stephen H. - PedalFaster
  19. John K. - ny991

Last edited by PedalFaster; 10-30-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Good reminder to submit your alias and iracing name to the rennlist league admins so your name will appear in iRacing showing your Real first name and your rennlist alias. Tom (Abqautoxer) for example is mine.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey guys how would one get in on this? I have an iRacing account that I mainly do MX5 cup with but I'd love to join in on this as well.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:46 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Just send a $200 monthly membership fee to me and I'll take care of the rest.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Hey guys how would one get in on this? I have an iRacing account that I mainly do MX5 cup with but I'd love to join in on this as well.
If you PM me your iracing name, I'll add you to our league. That will give you access to all the league sessions. There's lots of people of all speeds to race and the only rules are that you have to be nice and try hard.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:26 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I liked the rolling starts.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Handyman_321
Intermediate

Glenn McKinnon - Handyman_321

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
So maybe you guys all know each other because you've been racing together for decades, but as the new guy I'm struggling to put handles to names, so here's a quick mapping for my own benefit if no one else's...
  1. Tom R. - abqautoxer
  2. Allen B. - Burkey
  3. Philip M. - pmason
  4. Luke O. - loxner
  5. James P. - OmniGLH
  6. Justin L. - JustinL
  7. George B. - George_B
  8. Stephane S. - Sysgen
  9. Ben L. - 87944turbo
  11. Glenn M. - ?
  13. Sean M. - Indy Rev
  14. Bobby C. - HoBoJoe
  16. Scott B. - sbelles
  19. John K. - ny991
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Handyman_321
Intermediate

Had a blast racing with you guys... I also prefer the rolling starts... Qualified 11 and finished 11... good fun..
Old 10-30-2014, 06:05 PM
carmad
Advanced

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
  1. Tom R. - abqautoxer
  2. Allen B. - Burkey
  3. Philip M. - pmason
  4. Luke O. - loxner
  5. James P. - OmniGLH
  6. Justin L. - JustinL
  7. George B. - George_B
  8. Stephane S. - Sysgen
  9. Ben L. - 87944turbo
  11. Glenn M. - ?
  13. Sean M. - Indy Rev
  14. Bobby C. - HoBoJoe
  16. Scott B. - sbelles
  19. John K. - ny991
Julian W - carmad
Old 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by Handyman_321
Qualified 11 and finished 11...
You must have that "consistency" thing I've read about. I qualified ninth, moved up to sixth after three laps, crashed while attempting a pass for fourth, then quit and finished eighteenth.

In other news, I tried Mosport for the first time for a few minutes in the Skip Barber car. Two thoughts:
  1. It's an itty, bitty, narrow track with a lot of sudden elevation change. I predict that his week's spin-fest is going to look positively relaxed compared to next week's race.

2. The Skip Barber car (which I'd also never driven before) is a hell of a lot of fun -- it reacts to every little mistake you make, yet is very forgiving. As a result, you end up doing lurid four wheel drifts everywhere, compared to the Ruf which (at least for me) sticks and sticks until it lets go and shoots you straight into the nearest wall.

It's probably sacrilegious to say this on a Porsche board, but perhaps the Skip Barber's better suited to our collectively hamfisted racing skills...

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread