Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 AM
George_B
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Sorry i've missed the last couple of races, been under the gun at work trying to get a few projects done by months end. I've had little time to practice and was even further off the pace than usual. Hopefully i'll have more free time soon and am still welcome in the group.

Take care and see you soon ( I Hope )

Regards,

George
Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmason
I'm thinking the same thing, that is pretty damn cool. That car your chasing looks familiar.
Oh, Sean sorry for exiting the pits in front of you, I thought you were going to be further behind, then I was so worried to get out the way I forgot to brake and just ended my session.
No biggie. I was wondering why you just went flying off. By that point I had gotten used to people just flying out of the pits. I seemed to have a lot of lappers decide to get racy last night. I just figured everyone saw it was me and didn't think I could possibly be in the top 5

I finally put it all together last night. I have struggled with this car for some reason, but I think I'm getting closer to figuring it out.

IM COMING FOR YOU JUSTIN
Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
So figure, if the iRacing devs are the first to get their hands on one in early July, it's going to be 12 weeks until the next release before DK2 is supported. For that reason I'm opting NOT to upgrade to DK2.
Jim you have hands on experience with DK1 so can you explain why if DK1 is supported DK2 won't be? I thought they added native OR support to iRacing.

I understand that not every feature(ie the camera and LED tracking) would be working in iRacing but why wouldn't the DK2 function the same as the DK1 just with higher resolution and no motion blur. It has all the same sensors as the DK1.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so bad yesterday ... looking forward another track... I won't have my screen stand and perfect pedal before the end of this season, but once I have all my stuff, Sysgen will come home, help me with the set-up and will watch me to evaluate what I'm doing wrong.

Not sure I'll be buying Auto Club for just one race, but'll be at Sonoma.

Damn I have a hard time driving a 911. The light front end just kills me. I'm always understeering like a mad men. Maybe I try to carry to much speed at turn in... and I just can't hold up myself to do it slower.

One thing encouraging is that I was 5 seconds slower than the leaders, only did 2 laps. That was 1 second faster than usual and I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad at this track...

c.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

It's had to describe via text but the answer to make the 911 in iRacing rotate is trail braking. So I brake hard (though often not in ABS) then just like the textbooks say, lift off some and start to turn in and keep releasing brake pressure. If I didn't do this, I'd have to slow a lot more to make the same corner. If the rear isn't moving around just a bit in this car, its going to be slower.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL

Yeah I had a bad feeling going into that complex. If a lapped guy doesn't let me go on a straight, I assume I'm going to have to fight for it in a corner to both of our peril. #25 made my spidey sense tingle when I showed the inside and he didn't back off so I tucked back in behind to avoid the pinch. Then I saw you coming up the inside even harder and completely bailed out on that corner taking the slow outside. I knew you were going to be in trouble in the next corner pictured above because you were going to have to fight your way past #25. I was just going to chill out and pick up the pieces on the next straight. It was unfortunate that you didn't make it out of the corner though.

I'm a very patient person and racer, but I will take calculated risks with lapped traffic when I'm in a battle for position. There was a fight earlier too that didn't have to happen, but that was an easier pass at the end of the back straight.

Cliff notes: If I'm lapping you with someone close behind me, I will be much more aggressive and put both myself and the lappee in much more danger... but make no mistake I'm coming by.
Hi,

That was me. I am a bit of a nube here, but please give me the lowdown. I must eveidentally have the ediquite wrong.

When you guys came up behind me I slowed early for the corners and gave extra room on the inside (just like this photo shows). I had anticipated an inside pass through the corners or you would hang back and get a run on me down the straight.

This is what I would do when racing my actual race car. This is what I would expect from other drivers in PCA or NASA is to be predictable and the faster car will get around you. Is the expectation here that I would slow down in the straights to give the faster cars a way around ?

I saw that you spun behind me. I was a lap down because I spun in the same spot. I got too excited coming on to the back straight anticipating a pass and got on the throttle too fast. I was in 8th at the time. I was actually just coming back out on track after going into the pits for repairs.

Thanks

Ed
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Ed,

When you went slow/wide in that turn I ran a pinched entry not knowing what you would do but it appeared you were letting us by as you greatly slowied on the corner entry and went way deep. However when I approached the exit, you were parallel to me and I thought we would hit so I pulled my car farther inside causing the spin. I was not behind you. Is it entirely your fault? No I definitely should have been more patient in retrospect but that was the first time I really had a chance to pass Justin and the clock was winding down. But you were easily the 3rd or 4th car Justin and I came across as lapped traffic that seemed to race us into corners despite our closing speeds. This just leads to more likely incidents.

As for passing in iRacing, unlike a real car, most people can't see well out their side windows to run parallel through corners and easily tell who's corner it is. The smarter/easier thing to do would be to allow yourself to be passed on the straight when you are being lapped. This is what I do when I run multi car types and I'm in the slower car. The closing speeds in corners is so great and it's hard to judge distances. It doesn't take much of a throttle lift to ensure the faster car gets by and actually lose less time than fighting them into the corner. While somethings work in real racing, in iRacing it takes two decently talented drivers to run clean through the corners and having a wide FOV (such as 3 monitors) is a huge help.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Jim you have hands on experience with DK1 so can you explain why if DK1 is supported DK2 won't be? I thought they added native OR support to iRacing.

I understand that not every feature(ie the camera and LED tracking) would be working in iRacing but why wouldn't the DK2 function the same as the DK1 just with higher resolution and no motion blur. It has all the same sensors as the DK1.
Big difference between DK1 and DK2, right off the bat, is screen resolution. They hard-coded the resolution in iRacing when using DK1 to 1280x800. DK2 is 1920x1080... so right off the bat, the resolution sent to DK2 would be incorrect. They'll have to alter the code in the system to detect which DK you're running, and send the appropriate resolution.

Then there is the aspect ratio difference between the two screens (.8:1 for DK1, .88:1 for DK2) so they'd have to render the screen differently between the two DK's to keep the image from being distorted.

THEN there is all the other features: the camera, translational tracking, etc.

I think that if you absolutely must have it now, and want it to work right off the bat: get a DK1 on eBay. I wouldn't expect the DK2 to be useful in iRacing until the October 2014 build.

For all the flak DK1 gets for being low resolution, screen-door, and motion blur... once you get used to it, it's fine. The advantages far outweigh the negatives. Being able to look around, being in 3D and able to use your depth perception while driving, totally worth it.

It's kinda like being nearsighted. You can't see clearly very far away, and some details get lost. But you learn to compensate. It's taken me a few weeks to get my legs back under me and relearn some tracks and reference points but once I did I was right back on pace.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ed, simply put hold your line hit your marks then lift off the throttle on a straight so they can pass. If I am able to, I'll hit the voice chat and let the other driver know I'm letting them by.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't realize so much was hardcoded for DK1. I am surprised since it was a given that it was not the final product. I would have expected them to build more growth into it and I was expecting the Rifts resolution to work as a 2nd monitor to Windows/iRacing.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
I didn't realize so much was hardcoded for DK1. I am surprised since it was a given that it was not the final product. I would have expected them to build more growth into it and I was expecting the Rifts resolution to work as a 2nd monitor to Windows/iRacing.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Well to be honest - a lot of the other applications out there that have DK support give (IMO) too much flexibility to the end user. Let users change the field of view, change the resolution, etc... and what you wind up with is a distorted image, and that ultimately screws up the user experience. iRacing hard-coded the resolution, the FOV, etc. so that it's the correct FOV, correct image, etc. What you see (assuming you're using the right IPD and right lenses) in the DK is what you'd actually see in real life, scaled appropriately, etc.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
carmad
Advanced

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
It's had to describe via text but the answer to make the 911 in iRacing rotate is trail braking. So I brake hard (though often not in ABS) then just like the textbooks say, lift off some and start to turn in and keep releasing brake pressure. If I didn't do this, I'd have to slow a lot more to make the same corner. If the rear isn't moving around just a bit in this car, its going to be slower.
Ditto on what Tom says. Like 911 in real life, you can steer them with the throttle and brake. I left foot trail brake too.
My 930 is always trying to kill me.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Thanks Tom, will try that. I'm driving the car just like, hmmm, a normal car

c.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

FWIW Charles, it really is the way the 911's I've driven have wanted to be driven so IMO it's not too far off the real thing.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Hi,
When you guys came up behind me I slowed early for the corners and gave extra room on the inside (just like this photo shows). I had anticipated an inside pass through the corners or you would hang back and get a run on me down the straight.
Hey Ed, It's not specifically you. The trouble with iracing is that there is no point-by unless you use voice chat. On the run down to T6 I was far enough back that I wasn't going to be able to make the pass before we got to the corner unless you lifted. When I saw that not happening I tucked back on to the race line, but that's when you were trying to let me by on the inside of the corner so I had to check my speed. In the real world I'm sure you would have pointed at the corner to let me know it was what you wanted and was safe. But I can only rely on your 'body language' in sim. I misread your language as an inevitable pinch into T6. My choices were back off or divebomb; I made the play that I thought would keep me in one piece until the back straight. That's what gave Tom the opportunity to take the inside, but he had the same thing in T7 and came out of that corner off line and spun. You certainly didn't cause any accidents. It just became a high risk situation with all 3 of us through that section.

When I'm running all alone I'm very patient with lapped traffic and I'll try not to interfere with any battles for position. I've got no problem slowing down a bit and chilling out until someone wants to let me by so they can catch my draft on a straight. When Tom is 1 second behind me fighting for position I will still drive safely, but I need to make the passes happen with a lot more urgency. Likewise Tom will take more risks to not let a lapped car get between us in areas where passing is completely unsafe. (This also happened and let me break the draft earlier in the race)

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread