Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

track, car, for tomor,,, i don't race oval and will need seat time
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN

How about 2.4's (Miata, Solstice, Jetta) at either Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, Laguna, or Barber? Some of us newbies to Iracing would like to get into the fun
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

^^^
Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this week, for the Daytonner 500 we're doing the Class A Impala (aka Sprint Cup car) at Daytona, under the lights; using the fixed setup.

the car almost drives itself when you're on track alone, but with the draft it's a real cluster.

we'll have an extended 80 minute practice session, then 10 minutes/4 laps for qualifying, 20 lap race. the goal for the extended practice session is to get a lot of pack racing practice, and/or get all of the crashes out of the way

duly noted on the Roar before the 2.4 cars. I did that race, and besides it sounding like a lawnmower race and my Jetta having terminal understeer, it was a fun event. wouldn't have guessed that the Jetta was the top speed champ on the banks.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

^^ OK,,, i'll try to stay awake Wife beater shirt, work boots, case of piels, i'm ready.....Name:  aFu_BangingYourHead1.gif
Views: 70
Size:  22.8 KB

Last edited by 4WHLDRFTN; 02-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
duly noted on the Roar before the 2.4 cars. I did that race, and besides it sounding like a lawnmower race and my Jetta having terminal understeer, it was a fun event. wouldn't have guessed that the Jetta was the top speed champ on the banks.
I ran a few of these races in the past, Jetta SKUNKS the rest of them in a straight line. On a road course like Summit in the Miata you get stormed by the Jetta down the straight then get frustrated for the remainder of the lap because you're held up but can never quite manage to get back around (cleanly that is). Only to watch it drive away down the straight on the next lap.

you guys are going to make me buy that darn sprint cup car for tonight...I hate to say it but it sounds like alot of fun.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
mnurnbe
Intermediate

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of setting up a system. So far I have the G27 and a chassis but need the monitors and computer next. I am planning on a 3 monitor setup so please tell me which monitors you guys are using, what video card you are using and where did you get your computer.

thanks, marc
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

this is what i use,,,http://youtu.be/BDFqA3_ryxM
Old 02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I ran a few of these races in the past, Jetta SKUNKS the rest of them in a straight line. On a road course like Summit in the Miata you get stormed by the Jetta down the straight then get frustrated for the remainder of the lap because you're held up but can never quite manage to get back around (cleanly that is). Only to watch it drive away down the straight on the next lap.
now you know what it's like to be driving an Elise on track with a bunch of GT3s and Z06's

you guys are going to make me buy that darn sprint cup car for tonight...I hate to say it but it sounds like alot of fun.
it will be a lot of fun!

a few notes:

slightly different format, 80 minutes practice/4lap qualifying/20 lap race.

practice and race start at the usual times (7:30EST/9:00EST, respectively)

password is mrroblay, since that seems to be a weekly issue

the race will be rolling start, since you can't do standing starts on an oval, which would be a disaster I'm sure

keep in mind the stagger built into the car, especially coming off the corners/onto the straights.

also the car has a tendency to "flop" into the corners with minimal steering input.

these last two pieces of advice will be important when racing in the pack

see everyone tonight!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

this is what i use,,,http://youtu.be/BDFqA3_ryxM
nice rig!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin135
Hey Dave,
Yes, you have to do some sim time before going to a new track. The pros do it, so why shouldn't us weekend warriors do it? Yes, I work for iRacing but I really am a believer in sims. I ran hundreds of iRacing laps in the Solstice before my first trip to VIR and I was way ahead of the curve when I unloaded off the trailer.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Nice to see you.
I'm up an running although I'm still trying to just keep the car on the track. Perhaps I'll see you this season with NCR.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

Well, that was a blast...and an exercise in truly appreciating superspeedway stock car drivers.

Ran near the top in practice (though still amazed at Terry and Patrick's 45.8s!) and took P2 in Qualifying.

Dropped into 4th or 5th after the start, and was creeping back when we had our version of the "big one." Managed to drive back to the pits, fresh tires and repairs (13.9 seconds), then back to the chase. Terry, Patrick, Bryan (and Chas?) and I hooked up and chased down Andrew who had a 8-10 second lead. We ran him down with 2 to go then it was every man for himself. I found myself on the outside and was settling for 3rd when Bryan and Terry tangled going into the tri-oval. They skidded to the outside, I blinked and took the checkered...a lucky win.

Great times...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

see?!?! told ya stock cars can be fun

I also think that was the first league race we've done where everyone crashed at least once.

hopefully Gator captured some good stuff on the replay...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

I saved the replay...I also have FRAPS full, so I may have a crack at a highlight video.

Tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Basically, I suck at life or something. I bought the car and the track after coming in hot from my cave at work. I felt OK in the draft, but I just don't know the dimensions of the car that well, so I checked up on Patrick #4 (I am #8) in this video hard. First part of video relates to incredulous cat.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread