Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 PM
loxner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun stuff, good racing there for a bit Justin, before I pushed it too hard and went off. More seat time in the car should help that. Which config of Watkins Glen are we running next week?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I think we should do "boot"... the one with the chicane.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

The boot is the way to go. That layout is what all the road groups run. It's a little tricky for braking marks, but is the best and most exciting layout of that track.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
I think we should do "boot"... the one with the chicane.
With the Chicane
I like the classic boot. I love diving into T5 from the back stretch, but will do the chicane.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
It really was an interesting race for me because I dumped it on lap 1 and fell into the clutches of loxner, but got back into 3rd a lap later 5 seconds back from you two. I was stuck watching you guys hoping that your infighting would let me catch the draft again. When Sean spun and Jim lost the draft I figured that was my opportunity, but Jim's consistency was better than mine and I only caught a bit of a draft on the last lap about 2.8s behind. I went all out for the last 2 laps because I knew I was in good shape for second, but lost 1 second because of a bobble before the carousel.
Definitely a legitimate strategy. I'm trying to participate regularly in the Grand-Am series this winter and whenever I get into a race where there are 2 or more guys WAY faster than me... I usually just sit back and wait. Inevitably at least one of them crashes out, or bobbles consistently enough, that I pick up a couple spots without having to really work for it.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:25 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Sorry for the newbie question, and I did see some info in the beginning of this thread but was dated as tech always is outdated as you buy it. Wanted to make sure the video card I picked up would work, it is a XFX Radeon HD 7870 2gb. I looking to have 3 24in monitors. I just received my wheel and pedal today, and hooked it up to the macbook air, while it worked, I forgot my cable to hook it up to the 24in monitor, and even then on the small screen it only was maybe 2/3rds of the screen. So I already went out and picked up most of the parts to build new machine, i7-4770 8gb mem, Asus Z87-k ATX motherboard. Just wanted to make sure the video card would work before I opened it.
Just practiced a little bit on the small screen, I clearly need a lot of practice :-)
Thanks
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That card will work well, doing a quick search it seems that if you plan to run all three monitors on one card you need to use the display port for one of them.

Practice, practice, and more practice. What really helps is watching youtube tutorials and ghosting sessions to see how others are running a track. I have been doing the mazda cup series and after a month I'm finally confident enough to run against other people.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a reminder that practice will be moved to 7-9 est. starting tonight.
The Glen boot password is spyder
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Which car? Being that I'm going to have to buy the Glen what other tracks or cars you guys normally run?
I will warn you now, iracing rookie here, today was the first day that I got everything together to even get some seat time with iRacing. I plan on joining this week but if I become a moving chicane please let me know and I will be happy to drop out until I get some more seat time.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Right now we're running the McLaren and/or Ford GT, when the Ruf comes out we'll all be switching to that.

It took me about a month to get to the point where I can run consistent laps and stay on track. No worries on being in the way, everyone is very understanding and with the field size we usually get well spaced out.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 AM
loxner

pmason, biggest piece of advice I can give you is run as many laps as you can. It's all about seat time. When I first started, the hardest part was dealing with the fact that you have no depth perception, and no 'feeling' of what the car is doing. The more time you spend on the sim, the easier all that becomes.

It's also helpful to make sure you have the telemetry readout turned on, so you can see where you are faster/slower each lap in real time. Additionally, try hopping in a practice session and 'riding along' with someone who's setting fast lap times.

But by all means come join us in the Rennlist sessions...the ones I've been in so far have been very friendly and laid back atmospheres. Takes a lot of practice to get fast/consistent. It takes me probably 50+ laps in any given car/track combo before I'm able to run consistently decent laps, and I've been iRacing for 4 years now lol
Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Thanks HoboJoe and Loxner, planning on doing some more laps tonight, last night I quickly made a base for the pedals and seat as the first few times I tried it in an office chair as as soon as I hit the brakes I pushed myself away. I've just been playing with the Mazda at Road America as I know that track, I still hold my breath through the kink just like when I'm there. So I should get a few more hours in before Wed.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

I'm finally used to the Mazda enough that if I start to lose it I can correct the car properly. Before every time I started to lose it I was in the grass. I'm rather proud of the fastest lap I've driven at Lime Rock now, a 1:01.6xx. Took me forever to get out of the 1:03s.

Also, my pedals finally got bad enough that Santa came early. Now I have to get used to the load cell brake pedal.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is almost here!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Nice, see you guys tonight

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread