Notices

AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Which problem are you speaking of? Getting information through CAN from the GT4 or information through the OBD-II from the GT4? Fairly sure we have multiple reports from the west coast (plus Eric's data) that indicate the latter is not possible, and definitely not in the short term.

Here at Sebring with a good chance to test the former, however, over the next few days. I think Joe Hullett may have already done that, but in any case, there are tons of folks here to pool information.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Which problem are you speaking of? Getting information through CAN from the GT4 or information through the OBD-II from the GT4? Fairly sure we have multiple reports from the west coast (plus Eric's data) that indicate the latter is not possible, and definitely not in the short term.

Here at Sebring with a good chance to test the former, however, over the next few days. I think Joe Hullett may have already done that, but in any case, there are tons of folks here to pool information.
Getting all we can from CAN. Agreed that OBD2 is a dead end currently, until Porsche opens up some PID mapping or we change ECUs. So its likely that all of us will need to go with a CAN tap. I think many of us are looking for some verification of which wires, where to tap, how to best do this tap and then what comes of it in the AIM software once its all wired in. I didn't even think about the fact that Sebring was happening...if you do get it all dialed in and documented, please let us know. I expect it will trigger a bunch of business for those of us without the AIM solution. Best of luck and thanks...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Absolutely! Thanks.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:22 PM
katmeho
Pro

Any updates from Sebring?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

katmeho, The data screen shot I used in the discussion of GT4 aero on the GT4 forum was data from an AiM Solo, not a Solo DL. Look at Long G and you can see that a careful study of Long G can give similar info as brake pressure.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 PM
katmeho
Pro

Cool, Ill take a closer look at that...

Still...us GT4 people really should be able to get the real data off the car. Could we be in a situation where we will never be able to access this? Makes me want to hack the Porsche app
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by katmeho
Any updates from Sebring?
I have confirmed that the direct CAN connection on a GT4 981, as outlined in and using the same color code as the 991_911 protocol, will yield:

PSH RPM
PSH VEH SPEED
All four PSH WHEEL SPEEDs
PSH PPS
PSH BRAKE SW
PSH BRK PR4
PSH STEER POSH STEER SPD
PSH ECT
PSH IAT
PSH MAP
PSH LAT ACC

Notes:

PSH GEAR does not work with a manual transmission car
PSH MODE TYPE does not work
PSH SW SUSP does not work

So, brake pressures, steering, throttle alre all read! Good news.

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-29-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I have confirmed that the direct CAN connection on a GT4 981 ... brake pressures, steering, throttle alre all read! Good news.
Where can I find CAN attachment instructions? Is there a plug option or do wires need to be spliced?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
katmeho
Pro

^ This

Im hoping to make this clean, easy and back outable...Maybe using Positap units?

For Positap reference and comments from this group...
Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Where can I find CAN attachment instructions? Is there a plug option or do wires need to be spliced?
No plug-in option at this time. I prefer splicing. There is no reason to cut ANY wires, merely soften the insulation with some heat after separating the twisted pair for a short distance, pull the insulation back, tin and solder the leads from the CAN+/CAN- from the Solo DL to the appropriate pair near the fuse box, and tape it up.

Attach your power leads to ground and the switched power add-a-fuse pigtail and you're done!

Originally Posted by katmeho
^ This

Im hoping to make this clean, easy and back outable...Maybe using Positap units?

For Positap reference and comments from this group...
Yuk. Those things look bulky and not positive to me, but I haven't used them.

Will try and post a photo tour the next install I do this month.

This is the type of connection I made on greenfrog's 987.2

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1_dscf8138.jpg
Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 PM
e46mike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been working with M-World here in Houston to develop a plug and play CAN harness for my GT4. This morning we tested the new harness with the 991_911 protocol and voila, we got channels including brake pressure, brake switch, steering speed and individual wheel speeds.

M-World is finalizing the development and there will be absolutely no cutting or splicing. The installation took less than 15 minutes. Here are some pictures.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:02 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by e46mike
I've been working with M-World here in Houston to develop a plug and play CAN harness for my GT4. This morning we tested the new harness with the 991_911 protocol and voila, we got channels including brake pressure, brake switch, steering speed and individual wheel speeds.

M-World is finalizing the development and there will be absolutely no cutting or splicing. The installation took less than 15 minutes. Here are some pictures.

Looks really clean. Any details on when this would be documented and details made available?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do they still make and sell the SOLO DL unit?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

They still make and sell the Solo DL. It is a current offering from AiM with no pending update.

M-World makes a nice harness for many of their installs for ~$110 (last one I bought for a 135i, anyway). Jerry and I can offer this too, however I do like a simple splice...
Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Here are the color codes and location. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...11_104_eng.pdf

You can see the connector for A10 and A20 in e46mike's photo plugged into the underside of the gateway connector.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981