Notices

AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Headed home from Sebring after a successful week and weekend.

The install is very simple and not fraught with risk. I'll edit the pictures and post the guide tomorrow.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-06-2016, 10:32 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome thanks!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by katmeho
Many of us are still waiting to see how the install goes on the GT4 before jumping in on a solution...and some are waiting to see what VBOX comes up with in "early 2016".
I'll start with the VBOX question first. The new HD2, which had a "soft reveal" at the Cologne Motorsports Expo last year, then in the flesh with demo video at the Autosport Show in the UK a few months ago. I do NOT YET have my prototype demo unit yet, so I do not see this being released until the mid-May to mid-June timeframe. Also, CAN protocol support is spotty on these units. I'm struggling with a 987.2 right now, and shouldn't be...

As for the former, I'll show you tomorrow. It works great and does not require anything more than a few tools and the cable that comes with every CAN (as opposed to OBD-II) Solo DL sold...
Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 PM
katmeho
Pro

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'll start with the VBOX question first. The new HD2, which had a "soft reveal" at the Cologne Motorsports Expo last year, then in the flesh with demo video at the Autosport Show in the UK a few months ago. I do NOT YET have my prototype demo unit yet, so I do not see this being released until the mid-May to mid-June timeframe. Also, CAN protocol support is spotty on these units. I'm struggling with a 987.2 right now, and shouldn't be...

As for the former, I'll show you tomorrow. It works great and does not require anything more than a few tools and the cable that comes with every CAN (as opposed to OBD-II) Solo DL sold...
First real feedback we have heard in the vbox thanks. Sounds like it's really something for the future if no demo units are out there being tested.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

First real feedback we have heard in the vbox thanks. Sounds like it's really something for the future if no demo units are out there being tested.
Yes, very good to know. Not surprising since Racelogic seems to have a bit of a history of big gaps between announcement and release. Doesn't seem like a good business practice: I probably would have bought a Vbox HD if I hadn't read the announcement of the HD2. But the HD2 is months away and, at the same price as the HD2, there's no incentive to buy the current HD.

I'm looking forward to seeing your guide, Peter. The AiM Solo DL / Smartcam combo is still appealing.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A few mock-up prototypes using the current single-camera HD unit (with the new processor and board to write the info to the video real-time, a la SmartyCam HD, plus picture in picture are being tested in the UK.

There are several hard core dealers that are at the track nearly every weekend that can accumulate MANY more "bug fix" requests, in a much shorter period of time than even the factory can.

I'm excited about the HD2, as I am excited about the Race-Keeper HDX. I love ALL this stuff, but both manufacturers and a few zealous dealers promise releases that they don't know when will occur.

Sometimes, manufacturers release stuff that has been in the works a long time without even telling the importer and countrywide distributors until it ships! Lots of examples in other technologies, I am sure!

For serious analysis, without going the MoTeC route, AiM is the only other thing remotely close for the track day/DE and Club level racer.

While the VVBOX HD2 and R-K HDX are very powerful tools, if used properly, the lack of much more than a basic CAN protocol and no real flexibility in configuring the display of the limited information they DO log is a non-starter for many.

It's all about what you're used to, too. Those that use the VVBOX (both standard def and single camera HD) REALLY like it, and I have said here and many other places that when I work with a driver one on one, I supply one to augment and supplement whatever they have.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

...and I have said here and many other places that when I work with a driver one on one, I supply one to augment and supplement whatever they have.
Peter, I've been meaning to ask you about this, as you've mentioned it a couple of times. What about the Vbox means you chose it for one on one coaching?
Old 03-07-2016, 02:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FergusH
Peter, I've been meaning to ask you about this, as you've mentioned it a couple of times. What about the Vbox means you chose it for one on one coaching?
Pros: Speed. Also, comparison of video and data segments to quickest lap. Lots to be learned there. AiM has a split time report, this does too but allows you to SEE the difference.

Bottom line? I can see and validate potential areas for improvement very quickly.

Cons: No "numbers" that are more than basic measures. No way to manipulate or create those. Also, if you lose GPS signal, the lap is not able to be compared.

More fragile when moved frequently from car to car.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Cons: No "numbers" that are more than basic measures. No way to manipulate or create those. Also, if you lose GPS signal, the lap is not able to be compared.

More fragile when moved frequently from car to car.
Agreed on fragile, it also has hiccups with SD cards occasionally.

What do you mean by the comment "No numbers". I'm interest to learn about the other tricks you use when coaching!
Old 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
katmeho
Pro

Any update on the install photos?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Agreed on fragile, it also has hiccups with SD cards occasionally.

What do you mean by the comment "No numbers". I'm interest to learn about the other tricks you use when coaching!
First, SD cards are regular replacement items, they have a finite connection and read/write cycle life. Especially the less expensive ones.

Second, I believe video is the most powerful and expedient tool to coach with, but ONLY if accompanied by synched data in another window OR, better yet, the measures on the video itself.

Only two systems write the info to the video real-time, VVB and AiM SmartyCam HD. MoTeC, Race-Keeper, Traqmate, Race Technology all combine the video with the data in the software and display in separate windows (well, the Race Technology Video4 does write info to the video, but I find the software incomprehensible).

By "no numbers," I mean that for serious, hair-splitting analysis, particularly for front running and high performing drivers, I need MUCH more capability in a) what can be measured and b) how that information can be displayed.

The two systems that do that for me are AiM and MoTeC, among others.

Having access to now, almost 6 Terabytes of video and data from entry level drivers to pros that are winning currently, I find that dissecting VVB video (along with the audio) and side-by-side with better segment study, is really one of the quickest ways obvious coaching paths JUMP out at me.

The workflow I use for the SmartyCam is a little different in that I review the fast lap, then open the fast lap in RSA. Then I construct a segment analysis in RSA, then go back to the relevant SC video lap that that data comes from.

Things I can do in RSA that I can't do in Circuit Tools are a) colored GPS maps according to channel values, including synthetic or leveraged values (math channels), b) construct valuable comparative strip, scatter and lap reports on any channel (or any mix of channels), c) construct gear charts and the list goes on and on.

The most serious deficit for me with the GPS-derived and calculated LongG and LatG measures is that I can't plot accurate, extremely detailed and repeatable rise-time, decay-time numbers to "grade" braking efficiency.

But, as long as you're comparing a .vbo to a .vbo, it can tell you gross differences and show improvement or loss...
Old 03-11-2016, 03:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Any update on the install photos?
Working on it today.

The Englishman teased a little with the VVB connection in the GT4 forum, but I will offer ONLY for the VVBox people an inductive pickup, if they wish. Not much more money than Richard's plug-and-play harness.

I still think for 98% of the folks that wish to do this, all they need is a soldering iron, rosin core solder, some heat-shrink and/or tape, an Add-a-Fuse for power and an eyelet crimp connector for the ground. And about an hour, hour and a half to do it really nicely. And not much money...
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

First, SD cards are regular replacement items, they have a finite connection and read/write cycle life. Especially the less expensive ones.

Second, I believe video is the most powerful and expedient tool to coach with, but ONLY if accompanied by synched data in another window OR, better yet, the measures on the video itself.

Only two systems write the info to the video real-time, VVB and AiM SmartyCam HD. MoTeC, Race-Keeper, Traqmate, Race Technology all combine the video with the data in the software and display in separate windows (well, the Race Technology Video4 does write info to the video, but I find the software incomprehensible).

By "no numbers," I mean that for serious, hair-splitting analysis, particularly for front running and high performing drivers, I need MUCH more capability in a) what can be measured and b) how that information can be displayed.

The two systems that do that for me are AiM and MoTeC, among others.

Having access to now, almost 6 Terabytes of video and data from entry level drivers to pros that are winning currently, I find that dissecting VVB video (along with the audio) and side-by-side with better segment study, is really one of the quickest ways obvious coaching paths JUMP out at me.

The workflow I use for the SmartyCam is a little different in that I review the fast lap, then open the fast lap in RSA. Then I construct a segment analysis in RSA, then go back to the relevant SC video lap that that data comes from.

Things I can do in RSA that I can't do in Circuit Tools are a) colored GPS maps according to channel values, including synthetic or leveraged values (math channels), b) construct valuable comparative strip, scatter and lap reports on any channel (or any mix of channels), c) construct gear charts and the list goes on and on.

The most serious deficit for me with the GPS-derived and calculated LongG and LatG measures is that I can't plot accurate, extremely detailed and repeatable rise-time, decay-time numbers to "grade" braking efficiency.

But, as long as you're comparing a .vbo to a .vbo, it can tell you gross differences and show improvement or loss...
+1 on everything you state. Now you know why I wanted to move to the Vbox

SD card wise, it's not that they wear out, there is something about the SD card format that gets screwed up - if I reformat, everything is fine. It's happened to TexasRS and I a couple times now.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+1 on everything you state. Now you know why I wanted to move to the Vbox

SD card wise, it's not that they wear out, there is something about the SD card format that gets screwed up - if I reformat, everything is fine. It's happened to TexasRS and I a couple times now.
Hahahaha!

It's NOT a "race" between these systems. Each does what they do quite well. I have many serious track day and club racing guys that run both.

On the SD card screw ups, I have that happen with AiM sometimes. Rarely on the demo VVBL and never on the VVB HD I use. When I do, they come back in and nothing is in the media folder.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I have that happen with AiM sometimes. Rarely on the demo VVBL and never on the VVB HD I use.
If you're not wearing it out, you must not be moving data fast enough

j/k

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981