AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Do you have to splice with AIM's CAN solution? Vbox uses this, so I'm wondering if AIM has something similar:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/usastore/...te-and-VBOX-HD
No, no inductive pickup for AiM.

VVB released, then dropped, then rereleased the clip-on pickup. They haven't made a run of them for some time. I stock a few and even built a RS-232/power supply adapter to take the signal from the clip-on to see if I could log it via RS-232 on a Solo DL or EVO4. No dice. AiM would have to write a protocol for this device!

The CAN protocol is quite limited in the VVB. There is currently a protocol for the 987.2 cars, but not yet for the 981 cars. There is one for the 991 cars, but all it gets is RPM, throttle pedal position, brake pedal position and PDK (if equipped) gear. The manual cars don't feed gear info over that bus.

So everything is a compromise. Having made up this guide for wiring in your own CAN connection on a variety of different Porsches, talking through countless shops and doing it myself for local buyers and at the track, it's not a deal-breaker for me, but I understand it may be for others.

The problem is simple in that the information presented at the OBD-II, for all cars, is different (more limited) and sampled at a lesser rate than the information on the CANbus between the powertrain ECU, instrument cluster and the stability control/ABS ECU's. Just the way it is...

So people understand, the AiM Solo DL and logger protocol over OBD-II for the current GT4 DOES include many valuable measures, specifically RPM, steering angle, throttle pedal position, so all is not lost! For years, we used LongG to gauge brake pressure. If everything is working, it correlates quite well!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Eric, I had a chance to go to the dealer and test several cars, gathering information in November and December. I did aslo forward yours along.

It's in the Italian's hands now...
Good idea, thanks for doing that Peter!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=

So people understand, the AiM Solo DL and logger protocol over OBD-II for the current GT4 DOES include many valuable measures, specifically RPM, steering angle, throttle pedal position, so all is not lost! For years, we used LongG to gauge brake pressure. If everything is working, it correlates quite well! [/QUOTE]

Agreed, the list is actually pretty good (at least compared to my E36, haha). Question; on steering angle, is there an overlay item on the Smartycam HD? In all the gadgets and dashes, I didn't see any steering wheel type image similar to what you get on the Porsche app. I would think steering angle might be helpful when reviewing the videos. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Agreed, the list is actually pretty good (at least compared to my E36, haha). Question; on steering angle, is there an overlay item on the Smartycam HD? In all the gadgets and dashes, I didn't see any steering wheel type image similar to what you get on the Porsche app. I would think steering angle might be helpful when reviewing the videos. Thanks.
No, what I do is to add a small measures box (number) or "bar" (progressively lights up with greater measure) and then a text box (description, "St Ang") next to it. Then you can see it. No "MoTeC" steering wheel icon, I'm afraid.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

No, what I do is to add a small measures box (number) or "bar" (progressively lights up with greater measure) and then a text box (description, "St Ang") next to it. Then you can see it. No "MoTeC" steering wheel icon, I'm afraid.
Ok, thanks!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Peter, I went out and did some recon laps this past weekend and it seems we are getting even less data than expected. No throttle pressure, no oil temp, and the gear indicator has a mind of its own.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:46 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Peter, I went out and did some recon laps this past weekend and it seems we are getting even less data than expected. No throttle pressure, no oil temp, and the gear indicator has a mind of its own.

GT4 HPR 1 23 16 Cust Appr Day - YouTube
Ugh; bummer. This is via OBD only, right?
Old 01-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FergusH
Ugh; bummer. This is via OBD only, right?
Yeah, obd only. Sent to AiM to make sure I didn't do something wrong.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Eric, this is the problem with trying to muddle through on your own. You should be getting (or have gotten) substantially more support from your dealer, initially.

The data file you sent me has COOLANT TEMP and TPS (throttle position) working correctly, which means if set up correctly, these will show on the video.

The OBDII protocol that you are using does NOT show OIL TEMP or GEAR as available channels that even exist, so there is no way to visualize them on the video.

Your problem is that the output channels to the SmartyCam have not been set up correctly in the Solo DL configuration you have sent to the camera AND/OR the icons on the SmartyManager2 config that you have sent to the camera are not associated with the correct channel assignments (that should match) coming from the Solo DL.

So, you should, with both configs set up properly, see a green bar for the throttle position and a temp reading for COOLANT temp only.

On the gear, since there is nothing outputted from the car through the OBDII (that can be read) for that information, your Solo DL config relies on "Calculated Gear," which requires a one-time setup procedure outlined in AiM's support literature. THEN, the gear will read correctly. Right now, it doesn't know what revs equate to what speeds in order to calculate what gear you're in.

The sky is not falling...
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Eric, this is the problem with trying to muddle through on your own. You should be getting (or have gotten) substantially more support from your dealer, initially.

The data file you sent me has COOLANT TEMP and TPS (throttle position) working correctly, which means if set up correctly, these will show on the video.

The OBDII protocol that you are using does NOT show OIL TEMP or GEAR as available channels that even exist, so there is no way to visualize them on the video.

Your problem is that the output channels to the SmartyCam have not been set up correctly in the Solo DL configuration you have sent to the camera AND/OR the icons on the SmartyManager2 config that you have sent to the camera are not associated with the correct channel assignments (that should match) coming from the Solo DL.

So, you should, with both configs set up properly, see a green bar for the throttle position and a temp reading for COOLANT temp only.

On the gear, since there is nothing outputted from the car through the OBDII (that can be read) for that information, your Solo DL config relies on "Calculated Gear," which requires a one-time setup procedure outlined in AiM's support literature. THEN, the gear will read correctly. Right now, it doesn't know what revs equate to what speeds in order to calculate what gear you're in.

The sky is not falling...
Peter,

I must have written that poorly as I am not upset in any way, nor do I think the sky is falling. I didn't have the car at the time of purchase (10 months ago) and these signals were not available on my E36 OBD. My apologies, and thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Peter,

I must have written that poorly as I am not upset in any way, nor do I think the sky is falling.
That's why there IS a smiley-face at the end, Eric!

All good, just with a few clicks in the config(s) and sending those corrected config(s) to the devices, you can get what you need to show up on the video, that's all.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Here's a document for the gear calc http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_108_eng.pdf

Feel free to contact me if you need more help or have any problems. matt @ trailbrake.net. I can also shoot you my cell if phone is easy.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

That's why there IS a smiley-face at the end, Eric!

All good, just with a few clicks in the config(s) and sending those corrected config(s) to the devices, you can get what you need to show up on the video, that's all.
Understood. Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Here's a document for the gear calc http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_108_eng.pdf

Feel free to contact me if you need more help or have any problems. matt @ trailbrake.net. I can also shoot you my cell if phone is easy.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally bumming that we cant get a GT4 into the hands of the people that can help solve this problem for GT4 owners and AIM.

Peter, any thoughts on how to tackle this with a non local to you GT4?

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981