Notices

Michigan Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
so far i have not had the 2nd gear pop out but yeah there are some fixes for it, not sure if its done or not

for the detailing you are crazy if you enjoy that but i may take you up on that some day, I am guessing doing it is a bad idea before wrapping it though right?
I enjoy the feeling I get after completing the job and looking at the car. The reflections of the trees and clouds in the Corvette are raw, unedited, and absolutely glorious. The time and work made me sore, and the need to try multiple compounds and pads and effectively correct the car twice was certainly annoying, but the appearance at the end is pride at a job well done.

Detailing before a wrap is good idea. If you're doing a vinyl wrap a clean, smooth paint surface will improve film adhesion. Fewer peaks and valleys in the clear is more surface area to stick to. If you're doing a paint protection film then you absolutely want to detail first so you're protecting as perfect a finish as you can create. Just don't apply a ceramic top coat under a film. They are so slick they can prevent the film from sticking properly. At the very least I'd give it a good wash to get any chemicals off the paint and then a clay bar to get the debris out before a vinyl wrap.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:18 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I enjoy the feeling I get after completing the job and looking at the car. The reflections of the trees and clouds in the Corvette are raw, unedited, and absolutely glorious. The time and work made me sore, and the need to try multiple compounds and pads and effectively correct the car twice was certainly annoying, but the appearance at the end is pride at a job well done.

Detailing before a wrap is good idea. If you're doing a vinyl wrap a clean, smooth paint surface will improve film adhesion. Fewer peaks and valleys in the clear is more surface area to stick to. If you're doing a paint protection film then you absolutely want to detail first so you're protecting as perfect a finish as you can create. Just don't apply a ceramic top coat under a film. They are so slick they can prevent the film from sticking properly. At the very least I'd give it a good wash to get any chemicals off the paint and then a clay bar to get the debris out before a vinyl wrap.
those are good points, probably if you have a good coat it will help removing it after to instead of being stuck to the paint and making it peel
Old 12-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Scooby921
Racer

If removed properly there should never be issues with sticking to paint and peeling. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm quite certain the professional installers know the right tricks to get the job done quickly. I suspect that a little heat to make vinyl more stretchy and pliable again makes it less likely to tear. And possibly getting an edge up and spraying some water under will create steam to help negate whatever minor adhesive made it stick in the first place.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:09 PM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
nothing special, 2001 turbo 28k miles, 6 speed of course, it has an exhaust and i just put a tune on it so its around 500hp now

the powerband is so different than the NA, the thing is fast but it doesn't sound nearly as good and i miss the high rpms

needs more low! so coilovers are a must

Looks great. Had an 05 Turbo S Cab. Great car and can be an absolute beast. Never had issues with second gear issues but the numeric short throw is phenomenal and greatly improves feel. I might have some adjustable dogbones around - necessary if you lower the car for alignment. PM me your information if you want them.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:18 PM
jorligan
Instructor

Got your PM but your box is full. Here are some pictures. $250 for the entire set.

Unknown brand and used.

Agency Power Rear Adjustable Toe Link Kit - 05-09 Porsche 996 Turbo 01-05 - Brand new
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jorligan
Got your PM but your box is full. Here are some pictures. $250 for the entire set.

Unknown brand and used.

Agency Power Rear Adjustable Toe Link Kit - 05-09 Porsche 996 Turbo 01-05 - Brand new
sold, where are you? i am in clarkston / auburn hills, i could pick them up this weekend
Old 12-09-2019, 09:52 PM
jorligan
Instructor

I am in Dexter which is just west of Ann Arbor. Also, what size tires are you running. I have some leftovers which you can have for free. This weekend works for me.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jorligan
I am in Dexter which is just west of Ann Arbor. Also, what size tires are you running. I have some leftovers which you can have for free. This weekend works for me.
they are the stock turbo ones 225/40/80 and 295/35/18 I believe

i could use some especially the fronts because the ones that came on it are dry rotted.... which of course was not visible in the pictures when I got the car

Old 12-11-2019, 09:29 PM
jorligan
Instructor

Unfortunately, they are 19, 225/35/19 and 245/35/19. PM me your phone number and we can setup a time
Old 12-14-2019, 09:42 AM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

would anyone locally, be interested in a front aerokit front bumper for a 997.1? i was going to ship it out of state a couple of times, but shipping is stupid expensive due to the size. it does need a small repair, which i will do if there is interest. i was planning on keeping it for a spare, but have decided to put the car up for sale.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:25 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Anybody else have any fun Porsche projects going on this winter? I am having a blast with my engine swap and interior build but I'm missing driving it already.

With last year being the first time I've taken a car to a track that wasn't a straight line. I'm anxious to get it done this winter and do a lot more track days next summer.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
Anybody else have any fun Porsche projects going on this winter? I am having a blast with my engine swap and interior build but I'm missing driving it already.

With last year being the first time I've taken a car to a track that wasn't a straight line. I'm anxious to get it done this winter and do a lot more track days next summer.
Happy 2020 to you all!

Well I just took mine in to the shop for the final suspension and related modifications from my 996 track mod dream list:
*Motorsports Tie Rod Ends
*Tarett Rear Tuning Fork Arms
*Proper Track alignment (mixed road use)
*Headers
*Underdrive Pulley
*Brake pads, rotors, SS brake lines

Looking forward to more track days in 2020! Just need to work more on the driver’s skills...

As for my home projects, just the switch from Halogen to the Litronics for the 996.1. I think I have all the parts, just need to make it happen.

Last edited by Ratchet1025; 01-02-2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Happy 2020 to you all!

Well I just took mine in to the shop for the final suspension and related modifications from my 996 track mod dream list:
*Motorsports Tie Rod Ends
*Tarett Rear Tuning Fork Arms
*Proper Track alignment (mixed road use)
*Headers
*Underdrive Pulley
*Brake pads, rotors, SS brake lines

Looking forward to more track days in 2020! Just need to work more on the driver’s skills...

As for my home projects, just the switch from Halogen to the Litronics for the 996.1. I think I have all the parts, just need to make it happen.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Scooby921
Racer

My only Porsche project is researching whether or not I can put a roof rack on a 911, and then figuring out whether or not a 991 4S fits into the budget...for 2021.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:24 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scooby921
My only Porsche project is researching whether or not I can put a roof rack on a 911, and then figuring out whether or not a 991 4S fits into the budget...for 2021.
Easiest thing to make and made for very little $. I'm going to be making one for a TT for a friend (might make two so I can have one for my TT as well) and going to make one for a 2017 kia sportage I just bought... new fan of kia, love this sportage.
I'm not that far from you and a roof rack can be made in a couple hours and have it look classy

Quick Reply: Michigan Social Thread