Notices

Michigan Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by antraslh
Anyone going to cars and coffee at M1 this weekend?
Id love to but porsche is down with the swap till spring and my audi went up in a ball of flames on I-75 about a month and half ago... so ya im done with fun stuff for a while.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM
hitthecones
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a chance that anyone would have a 996 or 997 shifter alignment tool?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I would be but I am out of town again
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 AM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthecones
Is there a chance that anyone would have a 996 or 997 shifter alignment tool?

Thanks in advance!!
Let me check. I had one as well as an entire shifter somewhere.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:59 AM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I can try but I have to detail 6 cars for a fund raiser on Sunday. Also, need to clean out my office since I start a new job on Monday...… Would bring the new GT3 since my minor damage Cayman turned out to be a new motor. Is anyone doing the Grattan event?
Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 PM
antraslh
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jorligan
I can try but I have to detail 6 cars for a fund raiser on Sunday. Also, need to clean out my office since I start a new job on Monday...… Would bring the new GT3 since my minor damage Cayman turned out to be a new motor. Is anyone doing the Grattan event?
Sounds like a busy weekend, but I think a new GT3 deserves to be taken out! If you do decide to go, shoot me an email at lantrassian@gmail and hopefully we can meet up.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought I'd bump this. Michigan gets kinda dead when it gets cold and all the pretty cars disappear. No longer have a Porsche, but did "acquire" my father's C5 'vette for the winter. He needed a place to store it. I decided to detail it. After 13 hours spread across 3 days it looks pretty good, but there are still some scratches and swirls too deep for me to correct. I went through 3 different pad / compound combinations before I found something that worked to get even some of the scratches and swirls out.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHCNquJ

15 years of scratching and swirling

New hotness

Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 AM
tekkie
Pro

looks good, want to do mine
Old 12-02-2019, 11:39 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

wow ya looks good, nice work. I'm knee deep in my engine swap and interior build but looking forward to getting it done by summer and enjoy my lambaporsche lol Any plans on getting another Porsche anytime soon or perhaps another ride?

Be nice Tekkie .. its my party and I'll change it if I want to lolol Tekkie can you share some pics of you new toy on this thread?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Originally Posted by tekkie
looks good, want to do mine
I'm more than happy to assist. I have the tools and product and will help a friend for pizza, beer, and minor reimbursement of product costs. If you want to drop it off and pick it up another day I probably spent $1000 worth of my time and detailing products on the Corvette...most of that being time. Probably only $100 worth of product.

Originally Posted by ttt123
wow ya looks good, nice work. I'm knee deep in my engine swap and interior build but looking forward to getting it done by summer and enjoy my lambaporsche lol Any plans on getting another Porsche anytime soon or perhaps another ride?

Be nice Tekkie .. its my party and I'll change it if I want to lolol Tekkie can you share some pics of you new toy on this thread?
No immediate plans for another vehicle. Still have my Jeep lease until early 2021. Also need a few months of sanity to make sure my post-divorce planned and actual monthly budgets are in line and I know what excess I have to put in the bank and play with later. I might pick up something cheap to play with next summer, like an old Miata. Long term I'm debating whether I get a cheap daily and stuff another Cayman into the garage, or find something which can pull dual-duty. The new Audi RS6 Avant should haul my bicycle, skis, and it's own *** around a race track.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:15 PM
tekkie
Pro

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I'm more than happy to assist. I have the tools and product and will help a friend for pizza, beer, and minor reimbursement of product costs. If you want to drop it off and pick it up another day I probably spent $1000 worth of my time and detailing products on the Corvette...most of that being time. Probably only $100 worth of product.

No immediate plans for another vehicle. Still have my Jeep lease until early 2021. Also need a few months of sanity to make sure my post-divorce planned and actual monthly budgets are in line and I know what excess I have to put in the bank and play with later. I might pick up something cheap to play with next summer, like an old Miata. Long term I'm debating whether I get a cheap daily and stuff another Cayman into the garage, or find something which can pull dual-duty. The new Audi RS6 Avant should haul my bicycle, skis, and it's own *** around a race track.
LOL i have all the products / tools as well, its a lot of darn work i did it once to my S4 a few years ago.... not sure i will ever do that again.

The RS6 is crazy expensive, absurdly expensive even for my everyday dream car.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 PM
tekkie
Pro

Originally Posted by ttt123

nothing special, 2001 turbo 28k miles, 6 speed of course, it has an exhaust and i just put a tune on it so its around 500hp now

the powerband is so different than the NA, the thing is fast but it doesn't sound nearly as good and i miss the high rpms

needs more low! so coilovers are a must

Old 12-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Scooby921
Racer

That sounds like fun! I recall a friend having an issue with the car staying in 2nd gear in his 996 turbo manual. I think there is a fix out there. Don't know if your car has the fix or has / will have that issue with the transmission.

Bring car and products over when the weather gets warm. I enjoy detailing. Hard work and long hours to get it done right, but the end result is worth it! If we're going to be polishing then I'm not too worried about water spots from washing / drying in the sun. I usually wait until 5pm to start a wash (garage casts a shadow on the driveway), but then I'm not done detailing until 10 or 11 pm. So an earlier start to the day would be nice .
Old 12-03-2019, 05:00 PM
tekkie
Pro

Originally Posted by Scooby921
That sounds like fun! I recall a friend having an issue with the car staying in 2nd gear in his 996 turbo manual. I think there is a fix out there. Don't know if your car has the fix or has / will have that issue with the transmission.

Bring car and products over when the weather gets warm. I enjoy detailing. Hard work and long hours to get it done right, but the end result is worth it! If we're going to be polishing then I'm not too worried about water spots from washing / drying in the sun. I usually wait until 5pm to start a wash (garage casts a shadow on the driveway), but then I'm not done detailing until 10 or 11 pm. So an earlier start to the day would be nice .
so far i have not had the 2nd gear pop out but yeah there are some fixes for it, not sure if its done or not

for the detailing you are crazy if you enjoy that but i may take you up on that some day, I am guessing doing it is a bad idea before wrapping it though right?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:14 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tekkie
nothing special, 2001 turbo 28k miles, 6 speed of course, it has an exhaust and i just put a tune on it so its around 500hp now

the powerband is so different than the NA, the thing is fast but it doesn't sound nearly as good and i miss the high rpms

needs more low! so coilovers are a must

nice!!

Quick Reply: Michigan Social Thread