Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2024 Ugly Rear Skirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 05:05 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

I think having the shop paint the parts should be ok since it’s a new car but paint on plastic will always look slightly off from paint on metal. During manufacturing they must do something to make it look as close as possible but if you look super close it’s slightly off. You can see the difference clearly in photos but in real life it’s less noticeable.

Honestly the grey and the black even the dark blue with black looks OK. But front fascia on those would probably be the best choice. With the light colors that you really should be opting for full SPD.

Having some PTs fun last night

Old 05-05-2024, 09:00 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Front bumpers are probably same type of plastic as these lower facias, and they paint match well with the fenders and hood. I think, since the bumpers are so close, that these parts are all painted at the same time. My wife's Dolomite silver 2019 Pana is not quite the same color as the 2023 Cayenne Base that sits next to it in the garage. Both cars are never left outside.

So the facias we are talking about aren't most likely pre-painted and pulled off the shelf by part #/paint code # during initial assembly. Thats too much to stock. They are painted with the rest of the surfaces for the piece parts (trunk hatch/doors/hood/bumpers) during the original painting phase of construction.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:39 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

The solution for those who want to spend the money is to buy a primed fascia and have a shop paint it. It will look showroom new.

Painting a black plastic part will not look good - the black plastic fascia has texture which cannot be removed without paying more in fill/sand labor than a new primed-then-painted fascia.

The true solution is to order SportDesign, or buy a pre-owned car with SportDesign.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
ambitin (05-06-2024), mdrobc1213 (06-10-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 12:09 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 277 Posts

all this talk about the rear end. there is a carbon fiber bumper. does anyone know what parts would be carbon fiber in the case of the carbon fiber bumper option? I am semi assuming it comes with the light weight package.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:06 AM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Isn’t the CF just the little center pc which is high gloss black. The whole bumper is not CF
Old 05-07-2024, 01:16 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mgx1020
Isn’t the CF just the little center pc which is high gloss black. The whole bumper is not CF
yeah i didn’t think it was the whole bumper. just the rear diffuser was my assumption. would be curious to see a pic.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:24 AM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts
Default current status

I've been working with a body shop but I'm not 100% confident that they're ordering the right parts. I tell them what I need (complete with powerpoint showing specific parts, warning about confusion with other Porsche packages) and then hear back a slightly different rendition. I'm pretty sure that the distinction between these is confusing them:
  • rear bumper and wheel arch trim from SportDesign Front Fascia package <<<<<< this is what I need
  • rear bumper from SportDesign Package <<<<<<< pretty sure this is what he thinks I need
Porsche naming is certainly the confusing part, as it he nuance that I want a rear bumper from a package labeled "Front Fascia".

Now that some 2024 Cayennes are sitting on dealer lots (sales slowing down??? or maybe people wisely waiting for 2025s?) I was able to find three in-stock models in Houston that all have the SportDesign Front Fascia.

Can I send the VIN number for those cars and ask the guy to look them up and make sure the rear bumper and wheel trim he's ordering are a match for those cars? Would that be a way to sanity check what he's ordering to confirm he's getting the right parts for my car?

Thanks for any thoughts on whether this would work.

Last edited by ambitin; 06-09-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 11:26 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
I've been working with a body shop but I'm not 100% confident that they're ordering the right parts. I tell them what I need (complete with powerpoint showing specific parts, warning about confusion with other Porsche packages) and then hear back a slightly different rendition. I'm pretty sure that the distinction between:
  • rear bumper and wheel arch trim from SportDesign Front Fascia package <<<<<< this is what I need
  • rear bumper from SportDesign Package <<<<<<< pretty sure this is what he thinks I need
Porsche naming is certainly the confusing part, as it he nuance that I want a rear bumper from a package labeled "Front Fascia".

Now that some 2024 Cayennes are sitting on dealer lots (sales slowing down??? or maybe people wisely waiting for 2025s?) I was able to find three in-stock models in Houston that all have the SportDesign Front Fascia.

Can I send the VIN number for those cars and ask the guy to look them up and make sure the rear bumper and wheel trim he's ordering are a match for those cars? Would that be a way to sanity check what he's ordering to confirm he's getting the right parts for my car?

Thanks for any thoughts on whether this would work.
Yes, get the VIN from the cayenne you want and call Porsche parts and get the part# for the pieces you need

The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-09-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 12:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jo2134
Looks great. Exact same boat as you Quartzite Grey and all. I am very relieved I ended up adding it.

That being said I kind of wish I paid the extra $3k for the full Sport Design package
My Quartzite Gray w/Sport Design rear...glad I did my research and took a look at pics and added it. Took delivery 29 May 2024 and most Cayennes I saw had the upgraded rear at my dealer.

Sport Design Rear side oblique view

Sport Design Rear full on view
Old 06-10-2024, 10:14 AM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
My Quartzite Gray w/Sport Design rear...glad I did my research and took a look at pics and added it. Took delivery 29 May 2024 and most Cayennes I saw had the upgraded rear at my dealer.
My 2019 eHybrid is Quartzite Gray: love that color. Looks awesome. Glad you avoided this whole mess. I was surprised to find multiple Cayennes on the lot that had the basic rear end (same as my wife's 2024 S). Then again, maybe that's why they are sitting on the lot!
Old 06-10-2024, 11:15 AM
AVUS
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Nothing ugly about this rear skirt! Or the rear in general! … if you pick the sports design package.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 11:16 AM
AVUS
Intermediate

I see quite a few base models on the local Porsche lots. A few loaded Turbo GT as well. Not much in between. Anything else requires a custom build, which gives you exactly what you want.
Old 06-10-2024, 11:20 AM
AVUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ambitin
My 2019 eHybrid is Quartzite Gray: love that color. Looks awesome.
I love Quartzite Gray too! Looks great all the time (even when slightly dirty).

Quick Reply: 2024 Ugly Rear Skirt