Sponsored By:

New here

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 09:31 PM
supratreo
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New here

hi, not sure if i missed the introductions section so apologies if this is the wrong section.
I'll start of by saying that I'm def. not a German car fan. I've dealt with a few in the family along the years and even more during my time as a Toyota dealer tech but in Dec. 2021 my wife decided to purchase a Cayenne.
i will say, its a fun car to drive and built pretty well. i was just a little disappointed to see so much plastic on the exterior of such an expensive car.
this weekend hit 30k miles and its due for another oil change.
the first one was on Porsche. For the second, she took it back but after seeing the cost of basically an oil change and brake flush i decided i would be taking over from here on.
I'm trying to soak up as much as i can here but it seems like there aren't too many DIY people. any recommendation for parts sources? mainly for maintenance items.
I used to use ECS for BMW parts but it seems like they're not up to date on Porsche parts and with so many sub-models and changes throughout the years i don't want to risk assuming that parts cross over.
appreciate you taking the time to read.
The following 3 users liked this post by supratreo:
chassis (03-02-2023), George from MD (03-03-2023), Needsdecaf (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 09:53 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. You came to the right place for questions about your Cayenne. We have our share of DIY folks who generously shared their experiences.

Here’s a good thread on changing the oil on a V-6:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ne-s-2-9l.html

If you have a V-8, drcollie just posted a great tutorial here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...s-cayenne.html

@celiawessen also posted a great tutorial on V8 oil change on this website:
https://www.celiamania.com
However, the site has been down for a while so I attached a PDF capture of that web page, below.
(If that is against your website’s policy, celiawessen, please let me know and I’ll delete it.)

The 30K service is the same as the 10K oil service with the addition of spark plug replacement. Here are some good threads on changing the plugs on a V6. (You didn’t specify your engine type). The first thread below details the special thin-wall socket you’ll need.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ug-change.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1267889-half-assed-plug-replacement.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ark-plugs.html

Here’s a thread on resetting the service light:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ication-5.html

See attached for the Cayenne maintenance booklet which prescribes the scheduled maintenance items.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2020 Maintenance Booklet.pdf (3.13 MB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf
Turbo Oil Change.pdf (5.78 MB, 44 views)

Last edited by Schnave; 03-01-2023 at 10:19 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (03-02-2023), LDT (03-02-2023), Needsdecaf (03-01-2023), supershaft (03-02-2023), supratreo (03-02-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 10:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Welcome! Many more DIY-ers than you think. But this model is newer so not as many subjects. Plus…the damn cars keep getting so complex. I just saw that thread on the GTS oil change, and you have to remove the whole air box, the engine trim, AND a crossmember just to get to the top mounted oil filter. Sheesh.

But this is Porsches, who, in the 991, decided that on order to change the engine air filters, it would be easiest just to remove the rear bumper cap. Serious.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
chassis (03-02-2023), supratreo (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 12:19 AM
supratreo
Track Day

thank you all for the welcome.
it has the base 3.0 v6. i did see the various writeups but wasn't going to bet on any of them being the same as this vehicle. oil change is simple enough, just dont want to run into any surprises that will keep the car down longer than it needs to be.
i've read that some require you to suck the oil out of the dipstick tube. others say there is a plastic drain plug that can be removed.....
thank you for the heads up on the spark plugs, had no idea theyre required so soon. just about every thing these days is 90k+ lol. hopefully this uses the same socket BMW uses since i have one already.

i've seen a lot of german cars with body panels off and it amazed me how much crap they jam in those tight spaces. sucks for the guys having to work on them.

also, while searching for parts for a 9Y0, they also brought up 9YA and 9YB which i've never seen before. what are those?
is there a specific chassis code i can use for my specific vehicle? i believe 9Y0 covers all trims of 19+ Cayennes?
any trusted vendors for these parts? otherwise i'll be going to rockauto for a MANN filter, mobil 1 and Bosch plugs.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 12:45 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I’ve been happy with FCP Euro for parts. They have free shipping on orders over $49 and lifetime replacement guarantee — even on consumables such as brake pads, spark plugs, filters and windshield wipers.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

9Y0 (zero, not Oh) denotes any model of the 3rd generation Cayenne.
9YA denotes the 3rd generation SUV.
9YB denotes the 3rd generation Coupé.

Last edited by Schnave; 03-02-2023 at 12:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (03-02-2023), supratreo (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 571 Posts

So if you don't like German cars what do you like?
Old 03-02-2023, 09:57 AM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

Welcome. www.suncoastparts.com is a good resource

Last edited by LDT; 03-02-2023 at 10:37 AM.
supratreo (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 11:55 AM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

The oil change itself isn't as straightforward as older cars back then (need to take off air filter, some engine covers, brace, etc. which is extra 10-20 minutes) but it is still pretty simple. The hardest part for me is to get a computer to reset the oil change / inspection service. That's why I ended up doing the oil change at Porsche Indy shop which has PIWIS III computer to do the reset. There are some threads that talk about devices that can reset so you may also want to look into it if you want to do it yourself.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:28 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,453 Likes on 1,554 Posts

I use Pelican Parts in California for my three Porsches, they always have Porsche OEM and usually a same-supplier part for less, and other options. They will usually tell you want parts you need if you key in the year and model as well, such as needing a replacement plastic drain plug and O-Ring for the 992 changes. And they give you a 10% discount if you are a PCA Member.

When asking for tech advice here, be sure to include the model, because Base and "S" use V6 engines, the GTS and Turbos are V8's and then there are the Hybrids as well. Porsche is not set up for Extractor changes like Mercedes and Audi are, they want you to drain from the pan. Buy new crush washers, too, they're inexpensive.

Resetting the maintenance reminders requires scanners. Many of use here own them and if you put your location in your profile, we can see that and can say "stop over by my house and I can reset that for you". I've got most resets down to less than 5 minutes now with my Autocomm unit.

Last edited by drcollie; 03-02-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:01 PM
supratreo
Track Day

thanks all.
glad to hear that nothing special other than a scanner is needed. with any newer car i already expect to take half of it apart just to do anything haha.

what is a decent scanner that works with these cars? looks like Autocom has the Icon and Classic only? Not looking to sell this ever so I'm sure a good scanner will come in handy in the future. Even better if it will work with my moms Q5.
I've had Pelican Parts come up a ton of times in the past when looking for BMW parts but their site looked a little iffy so i stuck with ECS. good to know they're legit because they have a good selection of parts.

as far as what cars i do like. my family has always owned Toyotas and that's what what i stuck with.
i have a couple Supras, my daily is a 06 highlander that just hit 400k. I also have a 2000 ram 2500 diesel and a 91 Mazda b2600. I'm not too into luxury or anything. each vehicle has its purpose and i love the simplicity and reliability. my lowest mileage vehicle is the Dodge with 198k.
Looking to replace the Highlander with a Rav4 hybrid once the dealer has stock and would like to add a 2nd gen viper to the collection as soon as the home shop is done.

Last edited by supratreo; 03-02-2023 at 01:02 PM.
LDT (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 01:53 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The 3.0 (the 2.9 is slightly different) is one of the easiest vehicles I have owned to change the oil, especially if you do it from the dipstick tube on top. The only thing you need to remove is the air cleaner cover. Then undo the screw clamp holding the center snorkel to the turbo and the two air intake snorkels, wiggle the whole unit up and pull forward. No need to remove side or front panels. You don’t need to remove the strut cross bar above the oil filter housing, just pinch and pop off the vacuum line to the right of it (don’t forget to put it back on) and there is plenty of room to remove the oil filter and its cover. It took me a little over an hour the first time as I was being extra careful, but next time not much over 1/2hour. Watch a selection of videos available before starting and take your time.
supratreo (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 11:36 PM
supratreo
Track Day

i dont mind crawling under the car to drain the oil. i prefer that over sucking it out because if you have moisture/water or heavy metals in the oil they will sink to the bottom and you may never know. if you drain into a pan you can see what comes out to see how your motor is running.
Needsdecaf (03-02-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 12:45 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

I get your point and each to his own, but I know in many cases the dealer lets the car sit for hours on the lot before somebody drives it in and drains the oil cold, especially in cold climates. I take it into my garage after a drive and draw the oil out right away. I’ve done it that way on all my Mercedes for over 20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles. I’ve measured the amount of oil left behind and its never more that 100ml. and that’s about 1%. I change the oil more often as well. But at the end of the day we the owner have to feel comfortable especially when you plan to keep it a long time. Welcome to the club, there’s lots of experience here.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:11 PM
supratreo
Track Day

not gonna lie, i may or may not be taking naps under the car wile changing the oil...
Needsdecaf (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:32 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Now there’s another benefit I hadn’t considered. I just might have to reconsider the procedure. Enjoy the Cayenne, but I must admit I’m a Toyota fan as well.

Quick Reply: New here