Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 40 years of Porsche fascination, the 992.1 may be the last 911 generation I buy

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,241 Likes on 1,860 Posts
Default After 40 years of Porsche fascination, the 992.1 may be the last 911 generation I buy

Perhaps for those new to the brand,
Those who see it as just another luxury item,
Who know little to nothing about Porsche's history...

Perhaps changes like the new cluster are fine for them.
But for this increasingly old goat, it's nothing short of blasphemy.
Transitioning from air to water and from NA to turbo were unsettling changes, but understandable, just like going hybrid in the .2.
But to jump on the bandwagon of the screen takeover in the 911 is unforgivable.
Fine on a Mercedes or BMW. Even fine on a Cayenne or Panamera. Not ok on a 911.
Not only is it sacrilege, it's also a huge missed opportunity.

In an age overrun by screens, there's an opportunity to position sports cars, especially ICE ones, as the place where you go escape them.
I'm currently seeking a SRS allocation and if I secure one, I will be doing PCM delete.
I appreciate the PCM on my 992.1, I used to daily 911s, and understand the convenience of having it.
But surely even someone who choses a 911 to daily is looking for an experience that is different from what every other s*it can has to offer.
And no, toggling to the digital rev counter is not enough.

The combination of analog rev counter with the digital display and PCM in the center console is perfection.
I'll lever understand why Porsche had to go mess with it. Add the change to the start button you find in every Honda, and it feels wrong to the 911 faithful.

This all boils down to the lamentable transition from art to commerce.
Decisions increasingly made not by engineers or car enthusiasts but by executive officers with a fiduciary responsibly to create shareholder value.
I apologize in advance for waxing philosophical rant.
It's exciting seeing cars like the SRS being made as swan songs to an epic era.
It's utterly sad to look forward and see nothing but the sterile regression of what a sports car is.

/rant
The following 14 users liked this post by Wilder:
2thHappy (Today), B194HR (Today), bboerit (Today), bradthe (Today), Butzi (Today), Dezeinstein (Today), Garrettwilly (Today), InfiniteSmiles (Today), Kevin_ (Today), McNamara (Today), PhilH930 (Today), Rezolution (Today), Scoots (Today), TRIPLEBLK1 (Today) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Today, 01:34 PM
Shem_one
Advanced

Received 167 Likes on 44 Posts

Completely understood and my GTS's will probably be my last (new) 911's as well. Let's see what they do with the GT3 but I've been told that the screen will not change and there will not be an on/off button.

With that said, I am looking forward to my GT3!
Old Today, 02:24 PM
Nhat_911_GTS
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

All manufacturers are going digital including the exotic ones like Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and McLarens just like Artificial Intelligence are going to take over our lives.
The following users liked this post:
Risky_Business (Today)
Old Today, 02:28 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 333 Posts

Funny.

I was just talking to guy today. he waxed poetic about how each 911 generation of 911 just gets better. They took an bad platform and turned it into a perfect driving car.

Another fellow was amazed at how recognizable the 911 form is and how each refinement adds to the lore and mystique of the 911.

Name another car this good that has been true to form since 1963.

​​​​The move to turbo was brilliant. As was the switch to water. Now largely turbo. I think they did hybrid in a sublime way.

Technical innovation wrapped in 1960s design aesthetic. Don't forget Ferdinand Porsche designed the first-ever hybrid car.

I love it.

I think they've reached perfection. The turbo engine shines at 10,000' where I frequently drive. The screen is well integrated. Buttons are well placed. As a daily it is docile when needed and an absolutely German scalpel when desired.

My 992.1 may be my last new 911. But fo different reasons than yours.
The following 2 users liked this post by dudeoverthere:
Haros (Today), Risky_Business (Today)
Old Today, 02:48 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,145 Posts

The 992.1 is the last new, 911 I buy. Not because of the tech, but because of the cost. 😬
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Risky_Business (Today), silverscooby27 (Today), Sully819 (Today), Wilder (Today)
Old Today, 02:55 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Funny.

I was just talking to guy today. he waxed poetic about how each 911 generation of 911 just gets better. They took an bad platform and turned it into a perfect driving car.

Another fellow was amazed at how recognizable the 911 form is and how each refinement adds to the lore and mystique of the 911.

Name another car this good that has been true to form since 1963.

​​​​The move to turbo was brilliant. As was the switch to water. Now largely turbo. I think they did hybrid in a sublime way.

Technical innovation wrapped in 1960s design aesthetic. Don't forget Ferdinand Porsche designed the first-ever hybrid car.

I love it.

I think they've reached perfection. The turbo engine shines at 10,000' where I frequently drive. The screen is well integrated. Buttons are well placed. As a daily it is docile when needed and an absolutely German scalpel when desired.

My 992.1 may be my last new 911. But fo different reasons than yours.
I didn't read into Wilder's post downplaying the advances in engine technology, in fact he stated they were "understandable".
It's the interior design and extensive use of screens he was pointing out, and I think most of us agree with him.
Call me a luddite. I grew up in the center of tech, but I would prefer limits to its ubiquity in everything we do.
I'm so over tech & am a certified pain-in-the-a$$, I no longer take meetings with people with Apple watch notifications turned on. Take it off or wear a mechanical if you're serious about doing business.

I'm just glad there is a used market so that I can buy, or mod, any version of a 911 to my liking.
The following 3 users liked this post by Butzi:
2thHappy (Today), Kevin_ (Today), Wilder (Today)
Old Today, 02:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,145 Posts

So now I have to buy a Casio?
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Butzi (Today), Gus22 (Today)
Old Today, 03:00 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
So now I have to buy a Casio?
🤣
I don't eat shrimp. hahaha
Old Today, 03:22 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 73 Posts

Old Today, 04:08 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shem_one
Completely understood and my GTS's will probably be my last (new) 911's as well. Let's see what they do with the GT3 but I've been told that the screen will not change and there will not be an on/off button.

With that said, I am looking forward to my GT3!
Fingers crossed GT cars keep the analog tach and the start ****.

Originally Posted by Nhat_911_GTS
All manufacturers are going digital including the exotic ones like Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and McLarens just like Artificial Intelligence are going to take over our lives.
Doing what everyone else is doing has never been a way to achieve excellence.

Originally Posted by Butzi
I didn't read into Wilder's post downplaying the advances in engine technology, in fact he stated they were "understandable".
It's the interior design and extensive use of screens he was pointing out, and I think most of us agree with him.
Call me a luddite. I grew up in the center of tech, but I would prefer limits to its ubiquity in everything we do.
I'm so over tech & am a certified pain-in-the-a$$, I no longer take meetings with people with Apple watch notifications turned on. Take it off or wear a mechanical if you're serious about doing business.

I'm just glad there is a used market so that I can buy, or mod, any version of a 911 to my liking.
Correct.

There is continuous and never ending improvement, which includes the use of tech, and then there's use of tech to suck the soul out of things.
Water, turbos, better aero, PCM, even some nannies, and very specifically, the use of modern materials to reduce weight, I'm all for.
I don't see replacing the start key with the push button ubiquitous in every tincan as an improvement.
I don't see the use replacement of the iconic analogue rev counter with a digital map display in the cluster as seen on every EV as an improvement.
Adding to those two items I originally took issue with, I also don't see adding fake engine sounds piped into the interior of the .2 GTS or quieting down the cabin as improvements either.

@Zoomnbyu do you have the capacity to produce an intelligent thought you can contribute, or is presumptive memes at the limit of your intellect?
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Butzi (Today), HudsonOH992GTS (Today)
Old Today, 04:41 PM
Maskman
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

well in August i picked up my 992.1 S cabriolet. This is my 4th Porsche. 1969 911 s; 2008 RS 60 Boxster; 2017 991.2 S Cab and now the 992.1. I waited and got an allocation and ordered the car with everything i wanted on it including the main reason a manual transmission. I truly loved the 991.2 with PDK and the analog gauges ….yet thought this could be my last chance to build a manual.
It does a wonderful job of checking all the boxes and am thrilled with this model. Sure that Porsche will continue to be the absolute best and am forever grateful for the wonderful memories!

The following 3 users liked this post by Maskman:
2thHappy (Today), Just J (Today), Wilder (Today)
Old Today, 04:54 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 367 Likes on 193 Posts

In almost all cases, car manufacturers switch to screens not because they're better, but because they're cheaper.
The following 2 users liked this post by mthreat:
Butzi (Today), InfiniteSmiles (Today)
Old Today, 05:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mthreat
In almost all cases, car manufacturers switch to screens not because they're better, but because they're cheaper.
Indeed, and that's my peeve: they cut costs, raise prices, and squeeze decades of value, all in the name of shareholder value.
The irony of it all is that the stock is near IPO values right now for unrelated reasons. Seems like their efforts have mostly gone to waste.
Old Today, 05:32 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Indeed, and that's my peeve: they cut costs, raise prices, and squeeze decades of value, all in the name of shareholder value.
The irony of it all is that the stock is near IPO values right now for unrelated reasons. Seems like their efforts have mostly gone to waste.
Sadly it's not just Porsche and it's not just cars. Everything is more expensive and lesser quality. Maybe it was Covid or maybe it's something else. I don't mind paying more for something but it should at least be quality. Just look at what the boys and gals at Mercedes are putting out.
Old Today, 05:33 PM
HudsonOH992GTS
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskman
well in August i picked up my 992.1 S cabriolet. This is my 4th Porsche. 1969 911 s; 2008 RS 60 Boxster; 2017 991.2 S Cab and now the 992.1. I waited and got an allocation and ordered the car with everything i wanted on it including the main reason a manual transmission. I truly loved the 991.2 with PDK and the analog gauges ….yet thought this could be my last chance to build a manual.
It does a wonderful job of checking all the boxes and am thrilled with this model. Sure that Porsche will continue to be the absolute best and am forever grateful for the wonderful memories!
what a beautiful spec. I love my MT GTS 992.1

Quick Reply: After 40 years of Porsche fascination, the 992.1 may be the last 911 generation I buy