Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do with your cayenne today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 11:21 AM
importtuner
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wageslave
You guys power wash your cars? Are these very low pressure washers?
I have never used anything other than standard hose pressure, when I do a traditional wash. My car never gets used enough for dirt and grime to embed, and if it does, I use a clay towel with good lubrication. The last time I did a mitt wash was about two months ago. Right now its just weekly maintenance washes using rinseless. Im a huge convert to this method. I literally use a gallon of distilled water for the entire car. the solvent is super slick, which minimizes any type of scratching, then top off with some gloss enhancers while drying. My towels are always damp. No other method has made my car shine as much.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:27 PM
gatorfast
Burning Brakes

Received 467 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by importtuner
Full front end ppf, partial roof, a&b-pillar, door caps, and partial rear bumper on my S. Ceramic tint all around including pano and windshield. Spent most of saturday washing and detailing it. The color pops under sunlight and this is without any paint correction. Im contemplating a ceramic coat, but I dont think I need it yet as I do regular washes. Im considering painting some of the trim a gloss black like the window trim, just for cosmetic reasons, however the running boards are textured so im better off keeping it, as thats better for any gravel and other debris.
Beautiful! I love the color.

As for not needing ceramic as you do regular washes - IMO that is all the more reason to get ceramic! It makes washing your car soooo much easier as typical bugs, debris, etc wipe off incredibly easy. I had my prior 718 ceramic coated and now my Cayenne is as well and I am a convert for life.

p.s. I also started dabbling with rinseless wash
Old 07-03-2023, 12:40 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 183 Posts

I unlocked it and then the car died completely; no electrics. Another LiPO4 battery bites the dust.....
Old 07-03-2023, 02:05 PM
importtuner
Racer

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Beautiful! I love the color.

As for not needing ceramic as you do regular washes - IMO that is all the more reason to get ceramic! It makes washing your car soooo much easier as typical bugs, debris, etc wipe off incredibly easy. I had my prior 718 ceramic coated and now my Cayenne is as well and I am a convert for life.

p.s. I also started dabbling with rinseless wash
Thanks brotha! Which brand did you go with for the ceramic? There are plenty to choose from. Local detailer is charging me $2800 and that would include decon, paint correction, etc. That's a bit steep. Its reassuring to hear you having a positive experience, though.

Rinseless is the way to go, lol! I look forward to washing every week and the best part is that the car is in the garage when I do! Do you use the towel or sponge method?
Old 07-03-2023, 02:06 PM
importtuner
Racer

Originally Posted by matthewr87
I unlocked it and then the car died completely; no electrics. Another LiPO4 battery bites the dust.....
Sorry to hear Matthew. Is this covered under the warranty?
Old 07-03-2023, 03:12 PM
gatorfast
Burning Brakes

Received 467 Likes on 265 Posts

Thanks brotha! Which brand did you go with for the ceramic? There are plenty to choose from. Local detailer is charging me $2800 and that would include decon, paint correction, etc. That's a bit steep. Its reassuring to hear you having a positive experience, though.

Rinseless is the way to go, lol! I look forward to washing every week and the best part is that the car is in the garage when I do! Do you use the towel or sponge method?
My detailer used Gtechniq ceramic. $2,800 is pretty steep but I dont think too far off base for a really good quality paint correction and coating. I was a skeptic, especially for the price, but after I bit the bullet on my previous car and saw the results I was all-in. A simple blast from a hose can get the car 95% clean as the ceramic does such a good job of repelling dirt.

I am in South Florida so washing in the garage, especially this time of year, is a huge win. I started using ONR with the big red sponge. I have only done it once so far but it was very easy and I will keep using it to get better and more efficient. I also used a spray bottle to do a bit of a presoak before going at it with the sponge. This is where I also think you will see a huge difference with the ceramic coating applied, as the ceramic surface is already much more slick than uncoated paint. Not sure if I will convert 100% to rinseless, but I could definitely see doing 2-3 rinseless washes for every 1 full soap/bucket wash.
The following users liked this post:
LDT (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 03:45 PM
importtuner
Racer

Nice! I like your routine! I use ONR as well and fill up a sprayer from the same solution for the presoak. My sponge should be coming in this week and I think it would be easier than what Im currently doing, which is using using a microfiber towel per panel. Im experimenting with the gloss enhancers. This current one is the P&S bead maker, which I’ve used as a drying agent and layered as a paint sealant on top of Meguiars spray ceramic wax and should be good for a few months. Im just waiting on Wolfgang’s inventory to replenish to use one of their rinseless products as a quick detailer for the in betweens. If I really need a shine on a night out, the P&S dreammaker is on the shortlist next to the Meguiars and Chemical bros. Still experimenting and yes im a little OCD!
Old 07-03-2023, 05:15 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 183 Posts

Sorry to hear Matthew. Is this covered under the warranty?
It definitely should be. Car gets driven every day and doesn't sit around. Drove close to 50 miles yesterday. Must be a defective battery or bcm.
chassis (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 07:43 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 570 Posts

Nice! I like your routine! I use ONR as well and fill up a sprayer from the same solution for the presoak. My sponge should be coming in this week and I think it would be easier than what Im currently doing, which is using using a microfiber towel per panel. Im experimenting with the gloss enhancers. This current one is the P&S bead maker, which I’ve used as a drying agent and layered as a paint sealant on top of Meguiars spray ceramic wax and should be good for a few months. Im just waiting on Wolfgang’s inventory to replenish to use one of their rinseless products as a quick detailer for the in betweens. If I really need a shine on a night out, the P&S dreammaker is on the shortlist next to the Meguiars and Chemical bros. Still experimenting and yes im a little OCD!
Personally I use Adam's graphene Shampoo in a foam cannon, and then Turtle wax Graphene Flex wax as a drying aid. As for tire shine I am using Turtle Wax Graphene Acrylic. It protects the tires and doesn't need to be done after every wash.
I found this combo to be the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shuga:
chassis (07-03-2023), Nanteos (01-01-2024)
Old 07-03-2023, 08:58 PM
Palantir
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Hardwired the dash cam
Made sure that the cam turns off with the ignition...this time around....no dead batteries, so far.
thanks, Schnave:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-location.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Palantir:
chassis (07-03-2023), Schnave (07-03-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 09:41 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Roof rack system. I re-used the crossbars, fairing and bike carriers from my previous MB GLE. New feet and fit kit were needed for the Cayenne.

Note plenty of clearance to the liftgate. Sliding roof tilt feature is usable with zero concern. Sliding roof would function 100% perfectly if I did not use the fairing. The fairing looks good and reduces wind noise, so I will accept the tilt-only condition. The door dynamic lip seal does wrap over the metal bracket. IMO there is a risk of permanent set, and water leaks, if the crossbars were left on the vehicle indefinitely. I install and remove the crossbars before and after every trip, which is 3 times per year maximum.

I have put thousands of miles on this rack system, from the midwest to the east coast, Florida, Colorado and Arizona.

All 8 locks keyed to the same key: crossbars (4), bike racks (2 each).

Apologies for the filthy car! Needs a wash.

Confirmed fit with:

Thule Fit Kit 145350 - Cayenne 9Y0 without roof rails
Thule Clamp Evo feet 710501 - compatible with WingBar Evo and Fit Kit 145350
Thule WingBar Evo - roof cross bars
Thule ProRide - bike carrers
Thule AirScreen XT fairing

Last edited by chassis; 07-07-2023 at 10:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by chassis:
bobblehead (07-10-2023), dalves11 (07-10-2023), LDT (07-07-2023), Schnave (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 09:53 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,434 Posts

^^^ Just remember not to pull into your garage with the bikes mounted! I once pulled into our garage with a Christmas tree on the roof rack. It sheared off most of the branches on one side. We had to put that side of the tree against the wall. 🤪

Last edited by Schnave; 07-07-2023 at 09:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (07-07-2023), jonwb (09-07-2023), SilverSteel (07-16-2023), Turrrbo (07-11-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 10:00 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
^^^ Just remember not to pull into your garage with the bikes mounted! I once pulled into our garage with a Christmas tree on the roof rack. It sheared off most of the branches on one side. We had to put that side of the tree against the wall. 🤪
Exactly! I drove into a Subway drivethrough with the bikes on the MB. Thankfully there was a (yellow) plastic crossbar with plastic chains guarding the awning at the window. The plastic crossbar left a yellow rub mark on my bike, which is now a war wound and badge of honor! If I had driven into the awning at the window it would have been ugly.
Schnave (07-07-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 09:06 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Cleaned the wheels. The brake dust was beyond the pale. Meguiar's Ultimate Wheel Cleaner is amazing stuff. For the fronts I sprayed cleaner on dry wheels, let it turn purple, then hosed it off. Then sprayed again, wiped with a wet microfiber, then hosed off. Rears I sprayed with cleaner, wiped with the microfiber, then hosed off. The wheels look great.

Wash day tomorrow evening if schedule permits.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:48 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Wash day! And measured the oil level with a dipstick. VW service tool required.

MY2020 9Y0.1 Cayenne S 2.9TT; 31,000 miles; oil changed at 29,000 miles

Oil fill volume with new filter: 7.6 qts

VW tool T40178, $18 on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Set adjustable **** to 76 for 2.9TT. Each engine has a different setpoint for the adjustable **** as indicated in PCSS.
Remove engine cover
Remove air filter and housing
Remove two turbo inlet ducts
Remove oil dipstick plug with hook tool
Insert dipstick from in front of the chassis cross brace, remove and note oil level
Repeat level measurement several times to confirm a consistent reading was achieved
Reassemble induction components

I achieved an average reading of 8-9. The photo shows 10; the reason for this is I had difficulty getting a somewhat focused photo holding the wobbly dipstick in one hand and the phone in the other, so the oil weeped down the dipstick.

Note PCM oil level. I assume I burned ~0.5 qts in 2,000 miles. When I filled with 7.6 qts, the PCM indicated about 2/3 above the min level.

Turrrbo (07-11-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your cayenne today?