Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do with your cayenne today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 05:12 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Obviously I seem to be in the minority with my views on this topic, which I admit I find very strange. Yall are quibbling over a miniscule amount of oil when the car is still reading that the oil level is in the correct acceptable range. You really think there is some nefarious conspiracy at your Porsche dealer to screw oil change customers out of an extra $5 of oil? Come on...

I am all for calling out poor or insufficient work but this is certainly not the case here. You pay the dealer for an oil service and when you get your car back the oil level is reading in the acceptable range...hard to argue there is any issue with that.
It's more about Porsche dealerships doing correct work ... and I don't regard underfilling a crankcase by just under a quart as "miniscule". Look a few posts up in this thread and you will find information about the correct procedure. No one else has ever underfilled the oil level in 57 years of car ownership - not once. When my usual Porsche dealership told me that is "the Porsche way", he didn't have an answer when I asked why my Cayenne was delivered to me with the oil filled exactly to the Max mark if an underfill is really "the Porsche way". And he didn't have an answer when I asked him why a well known independent Porsche garage filled the oil exactly to the Max mark at the first oil change which I had done early at 5,000 miles. By the way, the Porsche dealership has been trying to buy that independent Porsche garage for years due to the amount of service business being lost to it.

The same Porsche dealership service writer who argued about the oil fill level is the same one who forcefully argued that it was correct that my Cayenne did not have the Offroad surface selection menu due to it not having the Offroad equipment package. I had to provide this service writer with the Porsche service campaign code, which I found on this forum, to get the problem fixed. Did the service writer apologize? Nope. And then it took two trips to the dealership to get the problem fixed since one of their techs apparently couldn't follow the instructions in the service campaign bulletin. Did the service writer apologize. Nope.

And then there was the trailer hitch installation. My Cayenne was returned to me with the new rear wheel arch extensions improperly installed which was pretty funny since it was so obvious. Back to the service department my Cayenne went but at least they fixed it while I waited. And it looked like the rear valance was trimmed with a butcher knife to make room for the hitch receiver instead of following the procedure specified in the installation instructions. The solution for that should have been an entire new lower valance panel but I told the service writer that I would reshape the opening to at least be symmetrical since I wanted to avoid another trip to the dealership. I did have some fun showing other Porsche owners the "quality" of the dealership's work.

I won't even go into detail about the numerous trips to the dealership about a malfunction with an aspect of InnoDrive. The most recent debacle was about not having windshield washers for a couple of weeks. When I asked that the parts needed for the repair to be sent FedEx overnight I was told "we don't do that". When the parts finally arrived, it was found that more parts were needed. This time I told the service writer that I would pay for FedEx overnight delivery if the Porsche dealership wouldn't. The service writer relented and had the additional parts shipped FedEx overnight. BTW, the Lexus dealership here has always used overnight delivery of parts when a customer car is disassembled waiting for parts. .

It's been an "interesting" 15 months of Porsche ownership. I like my Cayenne a lot but not the Porsche dealership bullsh!t. LOL, I'm old enough to remember when VW dealerships sold and serviced Porsche and Mercedes cars were sold by Studebaker dealerships. .
Old 12-01-2023, 05:55 PM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

My local dealership isn't great either.

- They will auto text me "Were you happy? If not, please email here and I'll be happy to assist".
- I email there, no response.
- I receive that same text again after my follow-up appointment (since they couldn't fix it the first time). Again I email as requested and no reply again.

Finally Porsche sent me the survey and I let them know the issues directly.

Most dealerships will try to "make it right" before the Porsche survey comes. This dealership couldn't be bothered. I can see the bad service starts at the top.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:15 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
It's more about Porsche dealerships doing correct work ... and I don't regard underfilling a crankcase by just under a quart as "miniscule". Look a few posts up in this thread and you will find information about the correct procedure. No one else has ever underfilled the oil level in 57 years of car ownership - not once. When my usual Porsche dealership told me that is "the Porsche way", he didn't have an answer when I asked why my Cayenne was delivered to me with the oil filled exactly to the Max mark if an underfill is really "the Porsche way". And he didn't have an answer when I asked him why a well known independent Porsche garage filled the oil exactly to the Max mark at the first oil change which I had done early at 5,000 miles. By the way, the Porsche dealership has been trying to buy that independent Porsche garage for years due to the amount of service business being lost to it.

The same Porsche dealership service writer who argued about the oil fill level is the same one who forcefully argued that it was correct that my Cayenne did not have the Offroad surface selection menu due to it not having the Offroad equipment package. I had to provide this service writer with the Porsche service campaign code, which I found on this forum, to get the problem fixed. Did the service writer apologize? Nope. And then it took two trips to the dealership to get the problem fixed since one of their techs apparently couldn't follow the instructions in the service campaign bulletin. Did the service writer apologize. Nope.

And then there was the trailer hitch installation. My Cayenne was returned to me with the new rear wheel arch extensions improperly installed which was pretty funny since it was so obvious. Back to the service department my Cayenne went but at least they fixed it while I waited. And it looked like the rear valance was trimmed with a butcher knife to make room for the hitch receiver instead of following the procedure specified in the installation instructions. The solution for that should have been an entire new lower valance panel but I told the service writer that I would reshape the opening to at least be symmetrical since I wanted to avoid another trip to the dealership. I did have some fun showing other Porsche owners the "quality" of the dealership's work.

I won't even go into detail about the numerous trips to the dealership about a malfunction with an aspect of InnoDrive. The most recent debacle was about not having windshield washers for a couple of weeks. When I asked that the parts needed for the repair to be sent FedEx overnight I was told "we don't do that". When the parts finally arrived, it was found that more parts were needed. This time I told the service writer that I would pay for FedEx overnight delivery if the Porsche dealership wouldn't. The service writer relented and had the additional parts shipped FedEx overnight. BTW, the Lexus dealership here has always used overnight delivery of parts when a customer car is disassembled waiting for parts. .

It's been an "interesting" 15 months of Porsche ownership. I like my Cayenne a lot but not the Porsche dealership bullsh!t. LOL, I'm old enough to remember when VW dealerships sold and serviced Porsche and Mercedes cars were sold by Studebaker dealerships. .
It's easy to differentiate posts and answers from real owners, like this one, versus people who work for Porsche or has some vested interest with Porsche.

It's clear that it is not the 1 or two quaters of oil that the Porsche dealer charged but not installed and didn't even follow service check protocols..

There is the $2,200 LiFePO4 highly defective battery, with the $1,000 labor for install it.

Not to mention Porsche's overcharging BMS defects that damage the batteries by over charging them, and they just charge the customer for new batteries and abusive labor..

Or, the often failing water pumps with plastic components that can cost up to $9,000 to repair, etc..etc..

Or, all the well known issues with the transmission, which Porsche never discloses to the buyer until they buy it, and then, they never fix them because, as some Porsche dealer state: "..THEY ARE WELL KNOWN PROBLEMS.. THAT WILL NOT BE FIXED.."

Not a difficult customer or CEO, but I don’t take any bull**** from people who get comfortable doing half-*** jobs and spread toxic incompetence around any company..

In 50 years of vehicle ownership, and working on variuos types of motor/engine vehicles, I seldom have heard people/employees spreading comments where not following guidelines, taking shortcuts, and doing half-*** jobs is now the normal way of doing things and considered by them a well done job..

Again, I hope people in Porsche corporate areas are reading some of thesse posts..

I know they will not be ok with many statements here..

Old 12-01-2023, 06:40 PM
ghasley
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Porsche these days is just another sports vehicle brand, none of its technologies are high-end or unique any more..

Many of today's Porsches are just daily drivers for those that select Porsche between Maserati, Lamborghinim, BMW, Audi, Land Rover, Mercedes, etc..

Companies that become mediocre in technology and customer service do not survive evolving times or just become a shrinking cult of old timers like me..

Fastest technologies and vehicles are EVs now.. period..

Even the new EV Tesla Cybertruck just beat a Porsche 911, while towing a Porsche 911, a day ago..

https://youtu.be/k-8HRFetY_Q?si=mb2ad7pdOQ2QxcD1
This is great info, thanks for posting. If I ever meet someone looking for easily the fugliest vehicle ever made (makes the Pontiac Aztek look like a Pininfarina design), that is fast as heck in bursts like most electric vehicles, that probably corners horribly and stops in a fortnight...then I will know what to recommend. Jokes aside, you seem very angry at Porsche...and you've probably let them know about it...cars are just cars and everyone who posts here probably have only first world problems with which to contend... if you aren't having fun you're most likely doing it wrong.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:52 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

Even the new EV Tesla Cybertruck just beat a Porsche 911, while towing a Porsche 911, a day ago..
These EV drag races are mostly a boneheaded waste of time.

Try comparing similar horsepower vehicles in a drag race and see how things stack up. That instant torque is amazing for sure, the extra weight of a huge battery pack is far less fun.
The following users liked this post:
ghasley (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 07:18 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ghasley
This is great info, thanks for posting. If I ever meet someone looking for easily the fugliest vehicle ever made (makes the Pontiac Aztek look like a Pininfarina design), that is fast as heck in bursts like most electric vehicles, that probably corners horribly and stops in a fortnight...then I will know what to recommend. Jokes aside, you seem very angry at Porsche...and you've probably let them know about it...cars are just cars and everyone who posts here probably have only first world problems with which to contend... if you aren't having fun you're most likely doing it wrong.
Nope, some my posts are more about issues with some people statements that seem to work for Porsche or have some kind of interest in the company/sales/etc., and they just find all kinds of hilarious excuses for Porsche not doing the right thing/work and/or minimizing real customers issues that should be fixed by saying it's just a Porsche thing..
Old 12-01-2023, 08:45 PM
ghasley
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, some my posts are more about issues with some people statements that seem to work for Porsche or have some kind of interest in the company/sales/etc., and they just find all kinds of hilarious excuses for Porsche not doing the right thing/work and/or minimizing real customers issues that should be fixed by saying it's just a Porsche thing..
Its all good but wouldnt you agree that youve warned everyone and vented enough about the quality and price of oil changes at Porsche dealers, the battery issue, the water pump issue, etc. Ive never had a bad service experience at my Porsche dealers in any of the four states in which Ive lived. Come to think of it, Ive only had a couple of bad experiences with service since the early 1980’s…perhaps being empathetic and treating others with respect can bear fruit. I have had, on more than one occasion, dealers who would take care of something after warranty expiration. I guess I just expect good things to happen and they typically do. Perhaps you’ve had a run of bad luck and have experienced negative interactions, which would be unfortunate.

Oil changes are pretty easy to perform if $1,100 (or whatever it is at your local dealer) is bothersome. Ive received more than a few complimentary oil changes and other services and each time I have I have made a donation to a charity supported by the local dealer. Make peace with the fact that Porsches can cost a few bucks to keep it performing at its best.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:27 PM
gatorfast
Burning Brakes

Received 467 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
It's more about Porsche dealerships doing correct work ... and I don't regard underfilling a crankcase by just under a quart as "miniscule". .
Except it was not underfilled...the vehicle readout was showing the oil level was in the acceptable range. You are simply adamant that the only acceptable oil level after an oil change is right at the maximum fill line and anything less means not enough oil was put in and the work is substandard. I take a more rational approach and accept that any oil level above the min and below the max is good to go (your owners manual will also confirm this).
The following 2 users liked this post by gatorfast:
dalves11 (12-04-2023), ghasley (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Except it was not underfilled...the vehicle readout was showing the oil level was in the acceptable range. You are simply adamant that the only acceptable oil level after an oil change is right at the maximum fill line and anything less means not enough oil was put in and the work is substandard. I take a more rational approach and accept that any oil level above the min and below the max is good to go (your owners manual will also confirm this).
Congratulations! You nailed it. The only acceptable oil fill level during an oil change is to the maximum fill line. The crankcase capacity of my 2022 Cayenne V6 is 8 quarts. Using 8 fresh quarts of oil during an oil change brings the oil level exactly to the Max fill line. I watched a tech do it at an independent Porsche workshop. They don't underfill crankcases when they do oil changes. If underfilling crankcases is your thing, then I don't care. It's not OK with me.

Yes, the owners manual says that it is allowable to let the oil level fall to the minimum mark and that the oil level is permissible if it's between the Min and the Max mark. But that has nothing to do with how it's supposed to be done during an oil change.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:26 PM
DubDub12
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Swapped the stock paddle shifters on my ‘24 TGT for the Magnetic Weissach ones - after a few heart attacks it really helped complete the car IMO - even though it’s not a PDK.

Fully assembled

After install on wheel

Original paddles

The following 7 users liked this post by DubDub12:
CayenneFrank (12-03-2023), chassis (12-03-2023), mdrobc1213 (12-03-2023), off (12-05-2023), Palantir (12-04-2023), shadetree_prjct (01-02-2024), ThomasWShea (12-03-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2023, 02:30 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,108 Posts

^looks great^ How does the airbag module come off/out?
Old 12-03-2023, 02:34 PM
DubDub12
Advanced

This video is what I used as my guide and confidence to do it - he did a fantastic job. There are two small holes on the side of each side of the steering wheel that you use a punch tool to depress two springs that are holding the airbag in. In the video he shows what is happening with the punch tool pushing the spring. It took more force than I thought it was going to (which is a good thing I imagine)

The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 03:05 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 469 Likes on 341 Posts

@DubDub12 i see you have the drive mode switch w the red button. Do you know if it is part 992919680D or 992919680E?
Old 12-03-2023, 03:26 PM
DubDub12
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@DubDub12 i see you have the drive mode switch w the red button. Do you know if it is part 992919680D or 992919680E?
I’m honestly not sure. It’s the one that came with the TGT stock and I didn’t pull it off to look earlier. I just looked at other pics I took today and didn’t see either part number near the drive mode switch on the steering wheel. Sorry for not being much help there.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:38 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 469 Likes on 341 Posts

@DubDub12 thanks, and yes i have noticed every turbo gt has the control w the red button. I thought it came w the GT steering wheel, but it doesn’t. I am curious is the coupe turbo has the red button now.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your cayenne today?