Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 11:23 PM
TempeAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave, just a random thought about your race condition hypothesis: is it possible to flip the breaker for your outlet to stop the charging, before you disconnect the plug from the charging port? I.e., get the car to realize it's no longer charging, prior to the mechanical disconnection of the plug (and a possible interlock feature). I'm sure it's a long shot, but you never know.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:42 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
interesting thought from a friend of mine - wondering if we can correlate the CEL failures and the charging theory with eHybrids with 3.6 kW vs. 7.2 kW chargers

anyone have failures with the 3.6 kW chargers? all the Turbos are 7.2 kW standard - so I’m wondering if the CEL failures are fewer with standard eHybrids because fewer of them are optioned with the 7.2 kW charger…

just something to think about.

I’d love any data from the internet on this.
I will get my code read at the dealer tomorrow, if it is this same one I will update. I have the 7.2 kW charger on my e hybrid.
Lphiesmacks10 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 04:34 AM
jmX
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting thought from a friend of mine - wondering if we can correlate the CEL failures and the charging theory with eHybrids with 3.6 kW vs. 7.2 kW chargers

anyone have failures with the 3.6 kW chargers? all the Turbos are 7.2 kW standard - so I’m wondering if the CEL failures are fewer with standard eHybrids because fewer of them are optioned with the 7.2 kW charger…

Ours is indeed optioned with the 7.2kw charger.
daveo4porsche (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,933 Posts

hmmmmm - so the most interesting CEL report we could have would be:

3.6 kW charger in a base model Cayenne

or…

a high mileage 3.6 kW Cayenne with no CEL’s reported

data collection continues - thanks everyone!!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:09 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I’m getting closer and closer to confirming the work around - if you don’t charge the vehicle with an external charger - more miles, more days, still no CEL - I’ve been charging the battery with the ICE motor during driving - so I have some EV power - but not emission free EV power…

in any case so far so good on the work around of avoid CEL by not charging

gonna go another week or so to confirm - but once I’ve confirmed I’ll go back to charging the - and if I get a CEL I’ll verify the codd and if it’s the same code we know about - just ignore it and clear it.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:12 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

And the CEL doesn't actually impact anything or prevent charging right? It's just a CEL?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:26 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

@Lphiesmacks10 yes as far as I know or have been told - it’s a CEL but has no impact on actual functionality - but it won’t clear on it own- and you need an ODBII reader to confirm it’s the same CEL that we know about and can “safely” ignore- the problem with CEL’s is that you can’t tell from the dash if it’s the one we know about - a new CEL that we should pay attention to - so while it’s still a hassle it’s a work around that I can live with for a bit hoping Porsche gets it’s act together and fixes the software causing the CEL

at this point in time the problem has moved from non-reproducible with no clear root cause - to we now know root cause (charging the vehicle) and we now know that can cause a CEL, but won’t always cause a CEL - and if it does cause a CEL no need to bring it in for diagnosis - but you need to have a ODBII reader to evaluate the CEL and make sure it’s not a new problem…this is less than ideal for a $200k premium high performance SUV - but firmly a 1st world problem - I can tolerate that for some period of time as long as I have a reasonable expectation Porsche is working the problem.

knowing the facts as we know them now gives me more certainty this is purely a software fault and not a reflection on the mechanical soundness of the vehicle - so I’ll live with it for a bit and give Porsche some time to address it - but at some point if they haven’t fixed it they still get to buy the car back cause at some level it’s still broken and defective.
aloktayi (01-02-2023)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:51 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

@Lphiesmacks10 yes as far as I know or have been told - it’s a CEL but has no impact on actual functionality - but it won’t clear on it own- and you need an ODBII reader to confirm it’s the same CEL that we know about and can “safely” ignore- the problem with CEL’s is that you can’t tell from the dash if it’s the one we know about - a new CEL that we should pay attention to - so while it’s still a hassle it’s a work around that I can live with for a bit hoping Porsche gets it’s act together and fixes the software causing the CEL

at this point in time the problem has moved from non-reproducible with no clear root cause - to we now know root cause (charging the vehicle) and we now know that can cause a CEL, but won’t always cause a CEL - and if it does cause a CEL no need to bring it in for diagnosis - but you need to have a ODBII reader to evaluate the CEL and make sure it’s not a new problem…this is less than ideal for a $200k premium high performance SUV - but firmly a 1st world problem - I can tolerate that for some period of time as long as I have a reasonable expectation Porsche is working the problem.

knowing the facts as we know them now gives me more certainty this is purely a software fault and not a reflection on the mechanical soundness of the vehicle - so I’ll live with it for a bit and give Porsche some time to address it - but at some point if they haven’t fixed it they still get to buy the car back cause at some level it’s still broken and defective.
Can you still move forward on a replacement while keeping your present car until it is time to decide whether to trigger the buyback? If a software patch is released that truly resolves the issue, then you release the replacement allocation and keep your current car. If no software patch is forthcoming, then you get to trigger the buyback. If yes, it seems you would almost be at the point of being able to have your cake while eating it.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

so far so good - did a 150 mile drive today - no CEL - haven’t charged the car since we picked it up from dealer service - looking like we’ve got a successful work around to avoid the CEL and if it does happen I’m less concerned about it now and will clear it myself with my ODBII reader…tracking the software fix closely - when we get closer to “lock” down date on the new one I’ll see if I want to keep this one or go through the hassel of the trade.

so far so good.

still looking for data on CEL’s and 3.6 kW charger vs. 7.2 kW chargers…
Old 07-21-2021, 10:05 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

I hope there's no correlation! I have one on order with 7.2kw charger. Wondering if I should change it back to 3.6kw charger
Old 07-21-2021, 11:00 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

no don’t change it - we have _NO_ data - it’s just a random thought - and eventually Porsche will have a software fix and then we can have 7.2 kW and no CEL’s - again this is just a random theory at this point - we have _NO_ data suggesting there is a difference between 3.6 & 7.2 kW and CEL’s - we unfortunately do have data that both Turbo and non-Turbo eHuybrid’s can have CEL’s when charging externally.

I wouldn’t build a vehicle around a bug “fix” - get the way you want it and let’s make porsche fix the problem.
mattsrs (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 06:32 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealer update on my MY21 TSEH:
We have a part ordered for your Cayenne that will correct the check engine light. It is the onboard high voltage charger control unit. We ordered the part earlier and now have an ETA on it. The part is being shipped out of Germany and is expected to be 14 days out. The vehicle is ok to drive in the meantime if you would like it back. Now, here is the tricky part. The reason that the part failed is more than likely due to a voltage issue where you had the vehicle plugged in. Most likely an under voltage or faulty wiring issue. It is recommended that you have an electrician check the power outlet that your charger is plugged into. If after we replace this part and it is plugged into an outlet with an issue, it may happen again. There is a software fix expected for the vehicle that will prevent this from happening, but it is not available yet.

I didn't observe any obvious issues using the same electrical outlet & circuit for charging an EV scooter or other devices!

Old 07-22-2021, 06:45 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by donutcritic
It is the onboard high voltage charger control unit. !
Is that referring to the entire 3.6kw/7.2kw onboard charger?
Old 07-22-2021, 07:04 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
Is that referring to the entire 3.6kw/7.2kw onboard charger?
I believe so, in my case the vehicle has the 7.2kw onboard charger.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:07 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donutcritic
I believe so, in my case the vehicle has the 7.2kw onboard charger.
i had my part replaced - no difference - and the ev wiring is BS Porsche grasping at straws

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne