Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 1,924 Posts

no progress - Porsche Germany has no clue - no ETA on a fix…it's a difficult to reproduce fault that only happens when my wife is in the car - LOL

we'd have porsche buy it back but then what do we get? and with the current world wide situation there aren't really a lot of high end SUV's ready for delivery - I keep checking and everyone is happy to take an order for something to be delivered next April…

ownership days: 69
in dealer service days: 59

I can get the money back but then we have no car and nothing readily available to purchase in it's place…

{sigh}

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-29-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:13 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
no progress - Porsche Germany has no clue - no ETA on a fix…it's a difficult to reproduce fault that only happens when my wife is in the car - LOL

we'd have porsche buy it back but then what do we get? and with the current world wide situation there aren't really a lot of high end SUV's ready for delivery - I keep checking and everyone is happy to take an order for something to be delivered next April…

I can get the money back but then we have no car and nothing readily available to purchase in it's place…

{sigh}
Errgh. Have you been in conversation with PCNA? Something doesn't sound right. When I went through the experience with my BMW E93 lemon repurchase, the BMWNA lemon law representative was offering to give me an immediate build allocation - they would take the allocation from the dealer who was supposed to receive the allocation and basically all dealers would be bumped back one slot that was being proposed to be given to me. If you are going through the dealer who is then interfacing with PCNA lemon law folks, something is being missed in translation.

The only problem with getting a replacement car, is unless you know what the root cause of the failure on your car was, you run the risk of repeating the failure experience.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:05 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

yeah the problem is:

the delay
and the new car won't come with the accommodations I've gotten so far from Porsche
but we may have to bite the bulltet and escalate to porsche North America directly

{sigh}
Old 06-30-2021, 01:07 AM
Ryan Day
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

{sigh}
So no error codes are firing just the occasional CEL?
Old 06-30-2021, 01:26 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

well the codes are firing - but they are meaningless - if they were "true" the engine should not be running or running rough - the car behaves flawlessly when the CEL shows up - and has no apparent effect on operation - but you can't tell the difference between a real CEL and a fake CEL - so each time we need the dealer to diagnose - also I'm not owning a $200k SUV that can't keep it's CEL from turning on in normal operation…

we also bough this car to drive around - and I'm not leaving home with a vehicle that constantly fire's of CEL's for the fun of it.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:32 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

well the codes are firing - but they are meaningless - if they were "true" the engine should not be running or running rough - the car behaves flawlessly when the CEL shows up - and has no apparent effect on operation - but you can't tell the difference between a real CEL and a fake CEL - so each time we need the dealer to diagnose - also I'm not owning a $200k SUV that can't keep it's CEL from turning on in normal operation…

we also bough this car to drive around - and I'm not leaving home with a vehicle that constantly fire's of CEL's for the fun of it.
It will be interesting to learn what PCNA's response is. My experience with BMWNA's customer care team was less than thrilling - until my Lemon Law attorney got involved.

Hope you get to a resolution that works for you.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:10 AM
Ryan Day
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Makes sense as I had mine in with cel but the dealer couldn't reproduce it and no major codes firing. I'm almost wondering if it had something to do with entry and drive tech. I noticed if I did a like flick of the entry and drive to start on occasion the cel would pop. The car is on but almost as if it is not fully engaged. Now I turn the drive entry and make sure I turn it as far as it will go almost forcefully. Now this could be all user error but I haven't had a cel since.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:35 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Owned the vehicle since April 22, 2021 - 78 days
Vehicle has been in service for CEL defect for 68 days
July 30th, 2021 will be 90 days out of service

Radio Silence on the issue from Porsche NA and Porsche Germany

I'm giving them until July 30th, 2021 to resolve the issue or they get to buy it back under California Lemon Law

we've begun discussions about the buy back - they seem to feel there will be little if any progress in the next 22 calendar days.

we will see.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Owned the vehicle since April 22, 2021 - 78 days
Vehicle has been in service for CEL defect for 68 days
July 30th, 2021 will be 90 days out of service

Radio Silence on the issue from Porsche NA and Porsche Germany

I'm giving them until July 30th, 2021 to resolve the issue or they get to buy it back under California Lemon Law

we've begun discussions about the buy back - they seem to feel there will be little if any progress in the next 22 calendar days.

we will see.
My Magic 8-Ball says PCNA will be buying back the car. The sad thing is that PCNA doesn't expect there will be any progress in the next 22 calendar days...
Old 07-16-2021, 09:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

got the car back - CEL still expected - but apparently if I don't charge the car with an external charger we do not expect the CEL - car should work fine just without charging - Porsche expects a software update to resolve the issue "some time in the future no specific ETA at this time" - but we like the car and having - we have a lemon status if we want it - and I have an allocation for a new MY'22 if I want it - I'm going to drive the car - not charge it (so it's essentially a Cayenne Turbo) and we'll see if Porsche eventually releases a software fix.

but having been in base model loaners - I really really like my Cayenne turbo with my custom bits way more than the base model.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
aloktayi (01-01-2023), Miggytosh (07-23-2021), Schnave (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:47 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

got the car back - CEL still expected - but apparently if I don't charge the car with an external charger we do not expect the CEL - car should work fine just without charging - Porsche expects a software update to resolve the issue "some time in the future no specific ETA at this time" - but we like the car and having - we have a lemon status if we want it - and I have an allocation for a new MY'22 if I want it - I'm going to drive the car - not charge it (so it's essentially a Cayenne Turbo) and we'll see if Porsche eventually releases a software fix.
I'm glad you got a resolution - even if it's essentially downgrading the Cayenne's capabilities! Did you receive written confirmation of the Lemon status from PCNA?

Our Cayenne TSEH was just flat-bedded to Porsche Littleton. I've tried explaining this thread to the SA including how much time has been spent identifying root cause, to deaf ears.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I haven’t gotten written confirmation per-say of teh lemon status - but they have allocated me a “replacement” MY’22 Cayenne with freeze, build, delviery date and associated order numbers in porsche’s ordering system - so we’re pretty far along in the process

we’re goign to drive the car as a “pure” turbo for a few days and not plug-in charge it and see if the CEL doesn’t show up…if that’s the case I think porsche might be right and we’ve found a work around until they can get a software fix - service manger has confirm this particular CEL code is something that we can ignore if it comes up….

so we get to drive our car and we’ll be able to charge it again once we have a software fix at some mythical point in the future

indications are this problem is not unique to my vehicle and porsche knows about the problem and is working on a fix - but ETA is elusive - we’ll see - if there is not software fix before my freeze date for my replacement we may go ahead with the lemon.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:12 AM
jmX
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another 2021 e-hybrid checking in here with the U0122 error code. We just crossed 150 miles on the odometer. Not sure what we'll do as it doesn't seem like there's much the dealers can do at this point (they say they've never seen this before, but clearly its not a one-off problem). Guess we'll just keep driving the car for now and get on the dealers radar for a fix. Maybe they'll have a fix by the same time the steering wheel control module is back in stock and we can kill two birds with one stone.

PS, also frustrating I had to buy an OBD2 tool just to read the code. Used to newer cars with digital screens having a way to simply view the error code.

Last edited by jmX; 07-17-2021 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:18 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jmX
Another 2021 e-hybrid checking in here with the U0122 error code. We just crossed 150 miles on the odometer. Not sure what we'll do as it doesn't seem like there's much the dealers can do at this point (they say they've never seen this before, but clearly its not a one-off problem). Guess we'll just keep driving the car for now and get on the dealers radar for a fix. Maybe they'll have a fix by the same time the steering wheel control module is back in stock and we can kill two birds with one stone.

PS, also frustrating I had to buy an OBD2 tool just to read the code. Used to newer cars with digital screens having a way to simply view the error code.
Do you have a Non-turbo or Turbo E-hybrid?
I ask cause I have a non-turbo E-hybrid Coupe on order. Dave's is a Turbo, so I'm wondering if it's isolated to Turbos.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lphiesmacks10:
daveo4porsche (07-17-2021), kaizententay (05-06-2022)
Old 07-17-2021, 10:20 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I haven’t gotten written confirmation per-say of teh lemon status - but they have allocated me a “replacement” MY’22 Cayenne with freeze, build, delviery date and associated order numbers in porsche’s ordering system - so we’re pretty far along in the process

we’re goign to drive the car as a “pure” turbo for a few days and not plug-in charge it and see if the CEL doesn’t show up…if that’s the case I think porsche might be right and we’ve found a work around until they can get a software fix - service manger has confirm this particular CEL code is something that we can ignore if it comes up….

so we get to drive our car and we’ll be able to charge it again once we have a software fix at some mythical point in the future

indications are this problem is not unique to my vehicle and porsche knows about the problem and is working on a fix - but ETA is elusive - we’ll see - if there is not software fix before my freeze date for my replacement we may go ahead with the lemon.
Are you still able to charge the battery through regen braking and e-charge mode?

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne