Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
My MY19 Cayenne eHybrid makes the exact sounds you highlight in your video. It is NOT OK and it is NOT normal. I have owned a 2016 Cayenne Turbo, 2017 Macan S, and a 2017 Carrera 4S. In my family we have a 2006 Cayenne GTS and a 2015 Macan Turbo. NONE of those Porsches make sounds or produce low speed braking vibrations like the POS 2019 eHybrid I own today. The sound is not only embarrassing (I've had many, many people ask me if I knew that my car was broken when they heard the sound, especially at race tracks), but terrifying as well. I have zero confidence in the eHyrbid's braking system.

Side comment: my 2019 eHybrid is easily the least reliable car I've ever owned. In less than 15,000 miles I've had one transmission rebuilt, then that transmission replaced (catastrophic failures each time that left me on the side of the road), this braking sounds / vibrations issue, and now passive and active cruise control have completely failed. It's a joke.
Is the Cayenne built at the same location as the rest of the Porsche fleet ? Something is really wrong with either the design itself or the execution, or both. We drove a 2019 Cayenne S before we bought the 2019 Panamera last month because of posts like this and others related to the latest transmission (not PDK). We have a 2009 Cayenne and 2006 Carrera and those ore both fine in my mind; have met all expectations.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
If you are right, can you imagine if Porsche put quieter brakes in its Cayenne line and people drove the vehicles to their potential only to find out after several rapid slow downs on a downhill canyon run the brakes faded and drivers couldn’t stop their 5,000 lb SUVs? Think about the sounds that would make.
I don't think they are too big. Our 2009 Cayenne Base has large brakes for its mass and HP (compare to a late model Explorer for instance). They have been one of the strong points of the truck.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:33 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Philip Goughary;17331713]My MY19 Cayenne eHybrid makes the exact sounds you highlight in your video. It is NOT OK and it is NOT normal. I have owned a 2016 Cayenne Turbo, 2017 Macan S, and a 2017 Carrera 4S. In my family we have a 2006 Cayenne GTS and a 2015 Macan Turbo. NONE of those Porsches make sounds or produce low speed braking vibrations like the POS 2019 eHybrid I own today. The sound is not only embarrassing (I've had many, many people ask me if I knew that my car was broken when they heard the sound, especially at race tracks), but terrifying as well. I have zero confidence in the eHyrbid's braking system.

well.. i even bought my cayenne without a testdrive because i was somewhat brand loyal after owning multiple P cars like yourself. Now, i tell my friends & family to stay away from the brand. In fact, my parents in law asked for the car advice (Macan to be specific) last week so I recommended BMW X4 instead of Macan.
All the problems with Cayenne, be it the fundamental design flaw or the new Slovakian factory, Porsche has no intention to stand behind their products.
Just take a look at all the posts in this thread. look how many have complained and how Porsche told them to **** off.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:43 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We let the Cayenne S go on April Fools Day (no joke). Primarily disappointed with what seems to be a corporate refusal to chase down a fairly prevalent problem with brakes. Will still browse the forum. Stay safe y'all.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:49 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03clyde
We let the Cayenne S go on April Fools Day (no joke). Primarily disappointed with what seems to be a corporate refusal to chase down a fairly prevalent problem with brakes. Will still browse the forum. Stay safe y'all.
sorry to see you go. Do you mind sharing what you replaced it with? I am thinking of going down the same route after the pandemic is over. Right now i really don't want to go out and testdrive cars. oh Well i can't anyways, i live in Toronto Canada and another 1 month lockdown started recently
Old 05-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Atl777
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same crunching/clicking noise under braking issue with my 2020 base cayenne. This issue was fixed after a second visit to Porsche Atlanta Perimeter/Jim Ellis (the first visit they tried deglazing the brakes but the sound came back). The parts had to be ordered from Germany, and the repair took just under 2 weeks mainly due to the parts. I was very appreciative of the shop foreman who took the time to ride along with me twice so he could hear the noise and determine it wasn’t normal. I am sharing my service ticket below in case it helps anyone.

Last edited by Atl777; 05-24-2021 at 04:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atl777:
dkhm3 (05-24-2021), Fahrfun (06-07-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:12 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by Atl777
I had the same crunching/clicking noise under braking issue with my 2020 base cayenne. This issue was fixed after a second visit to Porsche Atlanta Perimeter/Jim Ellis (the first visit they tried deglazing the brakes but the sound came back). The parts had to be ordered from Germany, and the repair took just under 2 weeks mainly due to the parts. I was very appreciative of the shop foreman who took the time to ride along with me twice so he could hear the noise and determine it wasn’t normal. I am sharing my service ticket below in case it helps anyone.

Thank you for posting this. Was your car making the noise when you applied the brake or when you made a complete stop?
Old 06-05-2021, 12:25 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Googling the part numbers comes up with control arms but the text doesn't mention them, do you know what they actually did?
Old 06-07-2021, 12:29 AM
Atl777
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jamtinge
Thank you for posting this. Was your car making the noise when you applied the brake or when you made a complete stop?
Here is a video that shows the sound. It was mainly noticeable braking at low speed and immediately prior coming to a complete stop.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4916.MOV (15.64 MB, 146 views)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:37 AM
Atl777
6th Gear

Originally Posted by icemang
Googling the part numbers comes up with control arms but the text doesn't mention them, do you know what they actually did?
My service advisor specifically mentioned replacement of some caliper parts-I believe springs and retaining clip. Other than that, I do not know exactly what they did and/or if additional parts were replaced.

Edit: I looked up the parts, and as you noted the first two on the ticket look to be suspension related. This part looks to be the caliper spring:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ring-9y0615269

Last edited by Atl777; 06-07-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:00 AM
jigz007
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Cayenne Base Brake

I bought 2021 new cayenne from Parsippany, NJ (Paul Miller Porsche). The technician is saying such break noise is normal. Wow. After some discussion, he asked to drop off the car for further diagnosis but the appointment is after a month. Not happy. My first Porsche and feeling burnt by such service. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:15 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jigz007
I bought 2021 new cayenne from Parsippany, NJ (Paul Miller Porsche). The technician is saying such break noise is normal. Wow. After some discussion, he asked to drop off the car for further diagnosis but the appointment is after a month. Not happy. My first Porsche and feeling burnt by such service. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
If you have standard brakes that crunch as you come to a stop, welcome to the club. Chances are, even if the shop manages to mitigate the noise (which is not likely), it’ll most likely return. So, I’m sorry to say, be prepared to live with it. I have a 2019 and you have a 2021. That’s 3 model years of customer complaints and the noise is still there. Yet, Porsche seems able to sell all the Cayennes it can make, brake noise notwithstanding. That tells me the noise is not going away anytime soon. And so, I no longer care that my car’s brakes sound in need of repair every time I stop. It is what it is, until I sell the car before the warranty expires. That’s when the brake noises will finally stop.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:26 AM
jigz007
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LSR
If you have standard brakes that crunch as you come to a stop, welcome to the club. Chances are, even if the shop manages to mitigate the noise (which is not like), it’ll most likely return. So, I’m sorry to say, be prepared to live with it. I have a 2019 and you have a 2021. That’s 3 model years of customer complaints and the noise is still there. Yet, Porsche seems able to sell all the Cayennes it can make, brake noise notwithstanding. That tells me the noise is not going away anytime soon. And so, I no longer care that my car’s brakes sound in need of repair every time I stop. It is what it is, until I sell the car before the warranty expires. That’s when the brake noises will finally stop.
Got black clipper brakes (I think it's metal but can be wrong). I see @Atl777 was able to fix the issue by reading his comments above so was just wondering if that is the real fix for someone else or it just got resolved by some miracle . But regardless @LSR I think you're right. I'm just not happy. The company/dealership needs to be accepting this and be fair to the customers. Giving me a month after date to diagnose the issue is unacceptable. I started twiting to Porsche directly to see if they've any answers. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:29 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by jigz007
I’m curious if you have the new two-piece brake rotors that some have suggested will cure the brake squeak problem. If so, that is disappointing. You can identify the new brakes by the drilled hubs.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:43 AM
jigz007
4th Gear

@Schnave So looks like I got the one with holes. But still making noise. This irritates me while driving in the traffic when I had to brake 100 times.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?