Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020 | 02:42 PM
Nanis
2nd Gear

Default Same noise in 2020 cayenne coupe

I am having the same noise in 2020 cayenne coupe 3k miles.
I took my car to service 2 days ago, I drove the car with service manager and he said the noise is unique but Here so many people experiencing the same thing. He told me he can make the noise in any car which I really dont care. I dont want to hear that noise when that much money spent. How to escalate to next level?
Old 11-17-2020 | 01:34 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nanis
I am having the same noise in 2020 cayenne coupe 3k miles.
I took my car to service 2 days ago, I drove the car with service manager and he said the noise is unique but Here so many people experiencing the same thing. He told me he can make the noise in any car which I really dont care. I dont want to hear that noise when that much money spent. How to escalate to next level?
sorry to hear this is also happening on cayenne coupe... i don't think there is much you can do about this. I also filed an official complaint with Porsche but they didn't even give me a call back unless i called them first.

Do you also have the "vibration" along with the noise?
Old 11-23-2020 | 10:26 PM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamtinge
sorry to hear this is also happening on cayenne coupe... i don't think there is much you can do about this. I also filed an official complaint with Porsche but they didn't even give me a call back unless i called them first.

Do you also have the "vibration" along with the noise?
Has anyone looked into suing Porche for this really appalling issue?
Old 11-23-2020 | 11:34 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr_Marty
I believe this is caused by a reduction in the amount of copper in the pads due to environmental legislation. Copper reduces stiction and is used in brake pads to prevent precisely this problem.
I think it's highly unlikely to be related to the copper, for the following reasons:
1 - Other cars that are compliant don't make this noise
2 - My 2014 Cayenne has made this noise all along (go hit the 958 forum for more brake noise threads), and the copper reduction legislation wasn't even signed until 2015, with the first reduction not actually due until next year.
Old 12-02-2020 | 01:32 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Update
So.. its been about 2 months since Porsche replaced the front brake pad & rotor on my car.
1. The creaking noise ( when the brake pedal is pressed ) is completely gone. This was the noise that scared me as it sounded like some wire was about to cut loose. The noise was gone from day 1 (after replacement) and hasn't come back.
2. The graunchy noise ( when the car comes to a complete stop ) is gone half the time. I sometimes don't hear / feel the noise & vibration at all. I don't know what cause this variation though. i don't think its weather dependent.
3. If you have the same problem as posted here, id recommend asking Porsche to replace the front brake pad & rotor. It has made a noticeable improvement for my car.
--> Not sure if the new pad & rotor has a different part #. i will check and post later. i still need to drop off my car again for discoloration on centre panel.

Old 12-05-2020 | 05:14 AM
Mina Moussa
3rd Gear

Update
So.. its been about 2 months since Porsche replaced the front brake pad & rotor on my car.
1. The creaking noise ( when the brake pedal is pressed ) is completely gone. This was the noise that scared me as it sounded like some wire was about to cut loose. The noise was gone from day 1 (after replacement) and hasn't come back.
2. The graunchy noise ( when the car comes to a complete stop ) is gone half the time. I sometimes don't hear / feel the noise & vibration at all. I don't know what cause this variation though. i don't think its weather dependent.
3. If you have the same problem as posted here, id recommend asking Porsche to replace the front brake pad & rotor. It has made a noticeable improvement for my car.
--> Not sure if the new pad & rotor has a different part #. i will check and post later. i still need to drop off my car again for discoloration on centre panel.
Hi
​​​​​​I have the Cayanne s making the same mouse as yourself with standard breaks. Did you get a chance to go f the part numbers and do you know if these apply to the S brakes?
Old 12-15-2020 | 10:25 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mina Moussa
Hi
​​​​​​I have the Cayanne s making the same mouse as yourself with standard breaks. Did you get a chance to go f the part numbers and do you know if these apply to the S brakes?
I've just confirmed with my SA that they have the same part #. and sorry i don't know if this applies to the S brakes
Old 12-15-2020 | 10:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

For what its worth, my research tells me its the pads. If your car has the same pads as a base, or S or whatever, chances are it will be making the same noises and sounds. Change the pads with some other brand and the noise should be gone. My car has 900 miles on it, so I am not prepared to change the pads at this time and will deal with the noise until the pads are shot. But, I will not replace them with Porsche pads. Aftermarket in this case seems to be the answer.
Old 12-20-2020 | 02:52 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Looking to buy a base cayenne, concerned about this brake issue. My 911 has squeaky brakes but this seems like vibrations coming into the cabin not just squeaks or creaky brakes. Is it felt in the cabin at all?
Old 12-20-2020 | 12:04 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
For what its worth, my research tells me its the pads. If your car has the same pads as a base, or S or whatever, chances are it will be making the same noises and sounds. Change the pads with some other brand and the noise should be gone. My car has 900 miles on it, so I am not prepared to change the pads at this time and will deal with the noise until the pads are shot. But, I will not replace them with Porsche pads. Aftermarket in this case seems to be the answer.
This came up in another thread recently and I wrote this:

Originally Posted by icemang
Have people experimented with different pads? I ask because my '11 S4 (and everybody' else's S4 of that era) squealed badly and produced a ton of dust and Audi tried to say it was normal. But switching to Akebono ceramic pads stopped the squealing completely and eliminated 90% of the dust with no noticeable downside. Might be worth trying
Aftermarket pads definitely worked in that case, I wonder if it will here, too.

Old 12-21-2020 | 12:32 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by dkhm3
Looking to buy a base cayenne, concerned about this brake issue. My 911 has squeaky brakes but this seems like vibrations coming into the cabin not just squeaks or creaky brakes. Is it felt in the cabin at all?
unfortunately the vibration is also very apparent. I'd strong recommend you testdrive a car before the purchase. i didn't ( as my second baby was born i just traded my macan s on this cayenne ) and consider it the biggest mistake of my life.

My car is at the dealership right now having the centre console replaced and CEL checked out. I have been given another cayenne loaner and this loaner's brake is damn quiet. like absolutely no noise / vibration at all during 1 hr drive.

it is stupid frustrating to see this quality variance between the same model cars. If my car is normal how does Porsche explain this quiet brake on the loaner? this is not normal?
The following users liked this post:
dkhm3 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020 | 12:37 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

unfortunately the vibration is also very apparent. I'd strong recommend you testdrive a car before the purchase. i didn't ( as my second baby was born i just traded my macan s on this cayenne ) and consider it the biggest mistake of my life.

My car is at the dealership right now having the centre console replaced and CEL checked out. I have been given another cayenne loaner and this loaner's brake is damn quiet. like absolutely no noise / vibration at all during 1 hr drive.

it is stupid frustrating to see this quality variance between the same model cars. If my car is normal how does Porsche explain this quiet brake on the loaner? this is not normal?
I gather that mileage on the vehicle has a correlation to the brake noise. I got my Cayenne used with 7K miles on it and it already had the noise and so did my last loaner. How many miles were on your loaner that didn't have the noise?
Old 12-21-2020 | 12:41 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pushinit
I gather that mileage on the vehicle has a correlation to the brake noise. I got my Cayenne used with 7K miles on it and it already had the noise and so did my last loaner. How many miles were on your loaner that didn't have the noise?
its got about 12000km, very similar to mine. the loaner is also base trim with base brake.
Old 12-21-2020 | 01:05 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

My brand new 2021 with 11 miles on it made the noise right off the lot.
Old 12-21-2020 | 01:28 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
My brand new 2021 with 11 miles on it made the noise right off the lot.
made noise. No vibrations? I am trying to see if this is purely a noise problem or is it actually something you feel in the steering wheel or cabin. Seems like some mention noise only and some say it is vibrations also

i don’t think I can live with vibrations in the cabin or steering wheel.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?