Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 07:36 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

S brakes are culprits too,
Old 01-03-2021, 12:23 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

It has to be the pads. Unfortunately 3rd party pads for these cars are not widely available for whatever reason. I'd be curious to learn why. The only ones I saw in a quick search were some Hawk ceramics and even they had some caveats in the listing.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:48 AM
IH491
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension? Brake?

I had the same issue with my 2019 cayenne. Took it to multiple dealers but all stated it was normal. I also had an issue with my brakes apart from this vibrating? squeaking issue so took it in again to the dealer. They eventually fixed the issue by replacing the springs and the brake pads. Porsche hq also recently knew about the issue and told the dealer to wait until they come up with a resolution. I asked how long that would take and there wasn’t an estimated time frame so I asked the dealer to reach out to the hq to see if they could replace it immediately because it’s really annoying to the point people are staring when i brake and it was really embarrassing. Hq said ok and now i have no issue with the noise/ vibration.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:27 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

When the B8 S4 came out we had the same issues, tons of dust, vibration/pulsation, and crazy squealing. It was particularly bad under 40 degrees F, but would happen at any temperature. VAG never admitted a problem. However some intrepid souls experimented, and trading out the pads for Akebono ceramics fixed all of the issues with very minimal differences in stopping power (some other brands have worked too, I just don't recall which, I went with the Akebonos).

Quietly, while still denying there was anything wrong and still claiming the noise was "normal", VAG changed the pads on the later models and the issue didn't occur with the later cars. Time will tell but I think the exact same thing is happening here. VAG doesn't want to be on the hook for trading out all the pads so they are in denial mode. Obviously it's all speculation at this point but I'd bet money it's the pads.

Last edited by icemang; 01-04-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:44 PM
Mohamedbsais
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamtinge
The car did this from Day 1, and that was my initial thought as well. The car has 2500km on the clock, and i have already tried hard braking to see if it goes away, but no luck
And yes, you can see that the car is not moving in the first video.

what really surprises me is i was told this is normal on all cayenne. this isn't my first car, not to mention my first Porsche. This isn't normal at all in my book
hi i am lawyer located in tunisia and my client is facing the same issue since day 1 (july 2018) we changed three times brake pad +front and back disk last week. After 600 miles my client is facing a new différent unoleasant noise. We are about to initiate legal action. Could please share with me your expérience on my e-mail : bsais2@yahoo.fr
Old 01-06-2021, 06:13 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Mohamed: You keep changing the pads with new Porsche pads. The problem is the Porsche pads. If you change the pads to a non Porsche pad I am told the issue will go away. Whether you decide to pursue legal action or not, it would be best to change the pads to aftermarket ones and see if the problem persists. That way you can blame Porsche for the pads or for some other component.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:01 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

You do know that after going to one dealer and asking for service, whether warranty or otherwise, a record is made about your visit and any response given is recorded. When you bring your car to another dealer they will pull the record and will see the response from another dealer and will report the same. Not likely they will contradict each other. Of course, that's if a report is made, perhaps in your case it wasn't but I would not count on it.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:02 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jamtinge
My brake noise has also come back (Porsche had replaced the front brake pads and rotors on my car ), and i am now waiting for another ticket to be submitted by the dealership after new year's day. I will see what Porsche has to say about the issue now that their new brake parts have failed again. ( it was never completely gone like yours though )
Update: So i still haven't heard back from my SA even after the new years so i emailed him first today. This is what I got.

"I apologize for the delayed response. I have received a response from the field technician and at this time there are no update brake parts available for your vehicle.
As the front brake were replaced as a goodwill gesture it was documented that the brake noise may return due to it being a normal characteristic of the vehicle.
I can ask our shop foreman once more to road test the vehicle when it comes in for the CEL. However I am unable to determine if any additional repairs will be completed for brake noise."

I've lost count of how many time i have been told this is normal. I must learn and move on.

Last edited by jamtinge; 01-12-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:27 AM
PC2020
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All, I have the base cayenne 2020.. couple of months old and have a similar problem. It is just crazy loud noise and in the attached video very visible. I am in the process of fighting with Porsche Switzerland/Germany as I live in Switzerland to get it repaired. But for now they just say it’s normal LOL 😂 it is unbelievable how they not tell you before you buy the car!! This is just not ok and if it doesn’t go away. I will sue them soon.

Sorry upload did not work, but please check the video shared on my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/061r3i8g4w..._2257.mov?dl=0

Last edited by PC2020; 01-30-2021 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:19 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PC2020
Hi All, I have the base cayenne 2020.. couple of months old and have a similar problem. It is just crazy loud noise and in the attached video very visible. I am in the process of fighting with Porsche Switzerland/Germany as I live in Switzerland to get it repaired. But for now they just say it’s normal LOL 😂 it is unbelievable how they not tell you before you buy the car!! This is just not ok and if it doesn’t go away. I will sue them soon.

That's just hilarious. Thank you for sharing the video. Please keep us posted as to how it goes with Porsche.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

That sounds like a little critter barking. Mine is a groan each time. Good luck with Porsche!
Old 02-01-2021, 10:29 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Mine is also more of a groan. That sound is absolutely bullish!t. They cannot say thats normal..
Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Well it would be good for a clown car at the circus!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:25 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Anyone here with 2021 model Cayenne base, S or GTS with this brake noise? I can see how this noise could be annoying in stop and go traffic. It almost sounds like the brakes in the video are wet or at least in a very humid environment? I've heard the brakes in our 2018 Honda Odyssey mini van make a similar (but not as pronounced) noise after coming out of a car wash.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:39 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I stated early on in this thread that my brand new Cayenne base 2021 had break groan noise issues.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?