Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021 | 06:24 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I stated early on in this thread that my brand new Cayenne base 2021 had break groan noise issues.
I test drove a GTS this afternoon and there is a mild creak as the car comes to a stop and again as the pedal is released, but nothing like the videos posted on this site. Who knows, maybe it will stay that way air maybe it will get worse.

I played the noise for the salesman and he confirmed the Cayennes are making this noise and Porsche considers it normal. They have delivered one GTS so far and no brake noise like that. Who knows??

I guess it’s one of those things. If you don’t like the noise, don’t buy the Cayenne. I feel badly for those who don’t notice it on a test drive and start hearing it after they’ve written the cheque.
Old 02-03-2021 | 07:01 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Still waiting to hear from someone who had noise and changed to aftermarket pads.
Old 02-03-2021 | 07:04 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by icemang
Still waiting to hear from someone who had noise and changed to aftermarket pads.
I think its a bit of a fools errand to try and start swapping braking system parts to get rid of a "problem" that all of the vehicles have. I think it would be better to just try and get a model (GTS/PCCB, whatever) that doesn't exhibit the problem. I drove a 992 911 that had a shorter version of that brake bite sound coming to a stop. I think you just have to try and ignore it if you can.
Old 02-03-2021 | 08:51 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

It appears (from my highly scientific survey method of reading this thread) that the noise cuts across all the different models. Well the rotors aren't on all the models and the calipers aren't either. What does that leave?

Last edited by icemang; 02-03-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 10:00 PM
gkellys
Instructor

My car heart goes out to the ones dealing with this.
Porsche should step up and offer at least surface-coated replacement on anyone experiencing this issue as they seem to be exempt. VERY expensive for Porsche but they need to step up.
Even though 2020 Turbos (owner) seem OK so far.
This is concerning for Porsche brand loyalty in the long run. I really hope they step up.
Old 02-10-2021 | 04:17 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by kayjh

I guess it’s one of those things. If you don’t like the noise, don’t buy the Cayenne. I feel badly for those who don’t notice it on a test drive and start hearing it after they’ve written the cheque.
I am glad someone here is making an informed decision. this is the main reason why i update the progress and post it here. Any potential buyer should know what they are getting into, and how Porsche treats you.

Originally Posted by gkellys
My car heart goes out to the ones dealing with this.
Porsche should step up and offer at least surface-coated replacement on anyone experiencing this issue as they seem to be exempt. VERY expensive for Porsche but they need to step up.
Even though 2020 Turbos (owner) seem OK so far.
This is concerning for Porsche brand loyalty in the long run. I really hope they step up.
Thank you for your kind words, but hope is all long gone after 1.5 yr. This cayenne is officially my 4th and last P car of my life. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me,
Old 02-12-2021 | 05:28 PM
PC2020
Track Day

What a disaster guys! Me being German and hearing this noise from a "super duper sports car manufacturer" is just really sad. But nevertheless don't forget guys, they are producing the Cayennes together on the same cheap platform in Slovakia (Bratislava) and sell it to us highly expensive....

I test drove today the GTS 2021 Version, just to see if I could sell my 2020 Base Cayenne and do an upgrade, so I get rid of this ridiculous noise. But no luck! Same noise on the brakes. A bit less than in my Base Cayenne , but same essentially. Just really a pain....

The dealer said to me: " Well who brakes this slow and all the time, stop&go?"

Me: I asked him, if he sleeps on the highway? And only drives the car above 50mph? Never goes shopping? Never parks the car anywhere? or only brakes full-stop with the kids in the backseat... and of course never stops at the flashlights!

Obviously all of our cars are parked in the Garage... and when you go down and you see your car, you already think of it... like nooo I don't want to get into the car.. but you do and turn on the car, reverse back... slowly as it is the garage full of other cars, and then you brake and the sound comes directly "grrrr...zzzz", you drive a bit forward so you can exit the garage, but you have to brake again... and again same sound.... by then you have no appetite anymore to drive this amazing sporty car bla bla, as all of your neck hair is pointing up and you just feel embarrassed and sad.....

So bad engineering....

Also anyone of you have any information on PSCB Brakes ? Why no option anymore and is it coming back?

Last edited by PC2020; 02-12-2021 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jamtinge (02-18-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 06:13 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PC2020
I test drove today the GTS 2021 Version, just to see if I could sell my 2020 Base Cayenne and do an upgrade, so I get rid of this ridiculous noise. But no luck! Same noise on the brakes.
I had my 2006 CS for nearly 15 yrs and never had a squeak. I've had my '21 GTS 3 months and they have been excellent with only one squeak. On that occasion, I lifted off of the brakes when the light turned green but the car in front of me didn't move. For a fraction of a second, I had the brake pressure at the point where the calipers were squeezing the rotors but the car was moving very slowly. I think I can recreate that brake pressure and make them squeak but that specific brake pressure is not something that is normal. I have 3,018 mi on the clock and have had no other incidents when they made any noise at all.
Old 02-18-2021 | 10:07 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

I may have found the answer to the question today.

https://newsbeezer.com/japaneng/akeb...pology-nikkei/

I believe Akebono is the one supplying brake parts for Cayenne.

Porsche saying the problem is normal is another story, but this news is maybe why some Cayenne experience the problem and some don't.

Still shame on you. Porsche.
Old 02-18-2021 | 10:10 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

If this is indeed the reason for the noise, then it makes sense that people changing the pads to aftermarket (different brand) are getting positive results and eliminating the squeal.. Maybe.
Old 02-18-2021 | 10:18 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
If this is indeed the reason for the noise, then it makes sense that people changing the pads to aftermarket (different brand) are getting positive results and eliminating the squeal.. Maybe.
Who have been able to change them? Who makes aftermarket for our base brakes? I'd consider doing that today if I could.
Old 02-18-2021 | 10:27 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

https://www.world-today-news.com/jap...over-20-years/

A link to another detailed news.

This company CEO sounds like exactly what Porsche been saying. Is everything ok as long as it stops the car? what about the noise & the vibration?

People spend more money on luxury goods for a reason. Well i did buy Cayenne instead of Honda SUV
Old 02-18-2021 | 11:36 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pushinit
Who have been able to change them? Who makes aftermarket for our base brakes? I'd consider doing that today if I could.
Originally Posted by Andrewwebb38
Correct. Replace pads with 24-2192-00 from Brake Labs, I do not track the car. It is a city car. These pads so far have eliminated the groan. The pads are only available through the sales department at (866)299-6110.
This was posted earlier in this thread, but i couldn't find this specific one.
https://www.brakelabs.com/listing

​​​​​​​i am not sure if there is any other.
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:36 PM
PC2020
Track Day

As far as I know the supplier is Brembo, isn't it?
kayjh (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 07:30 PM
G W
2nd Gear

I’ve had the last 3 generations of Cayenne. Bought new each time. First was an S. Second and Third Turbos with ultimate spec. Second had intermittent brake squeaking. My 2019 turbo with the coated disks and white callipers became problematic after 8000 miles. Awful squeaking at low speed braking. Took into my UK dealer 3 times to try and remedy it. They failed to fix it and eventually gave up.

Frustrated, I escalated to Porsche UK Customer Services. They simply sent a Porsche video saying it is normal!!! Basically fobbing me off. Wow. What a way to deal with customers. I asked for the UK Managing Director of Porsche to make contact and basically the Customer Services representative having addressed this with management stated that if I am not happy I should contact the Motor Ombudsman. So basically, Porsche UK Management are not interested in customers complaints regarding their products.

Last edited by G W; 02-19-2021 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Edit
PC2020 (02-20-2021)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?