Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 01:01 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by jigz007
@Schnave So looks like I got the one with holes. But still making noise. This irritates me while driving in the traffic when I had to brake 100 times.
Sorry for your troubles, jigz007. I thought the new two-piece brakes were Porsche’s solution to the brake squeak problem. Best of luck getting your brakes fixed quickly. Stay on top of the dealership and don’t be afraid to escalate to Porsche NA. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Old 06-11-2021, 04:26 AM
jigz007
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Sorry for your troubles, jigz007. I thought the new two-piece brakes were Porsche’s solution to the brake squeak problem. Best of luck getting your brakes fixed quickly. Stay on top of the dealership and don’t be afraid to escalate to Porsche NA. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Thanks @Schnave I am surprised there aren't enough lawsuits. Wondering if this issue exists in some cayenne base or all of them. If all of them then why people aren't escalating. I am definitely bringing it to Porsche NA. The dealership should be responsible notifying customers before buying it. The one I test drive didn't had such issue when drove or they must applied some lubrication on the brakes before I drove. Feeling stupid spending big bucks. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:48 PM
Atl777
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jigz007
I bought 2021 new cayenne from Parsippany, NJ (Paul Miller Porsche). The technician is saying such break noise is normal. Wow. After some discussion, he asked to drop off the car for further diagnosis but the appointment is after a month. Not happy. My first Porsche and feeling burnt by such service. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
To clarify, are you having the crunching noise (you can hear in the video I posted) or the pad squeak noise? It took me about 2 months from making my original appointment to get this sorted out. This was mainly due to long waits to get 2 appointments and about 2 weeks for the repair mainly due to parts (I was provided a loaner during repair though). I definitely think it helps to have an attentive dealer that will take the time to properly identify the issue.

Although I had the crunching, I don’t seem to have the pad squeak problem. I can get the brakes to squeak if I use a very specific light pedal pressure, but it doesn’t do it in any other circumstances where I would say it is not normal or a problem. My car has a 6/20 production date and does not have the holes.

Good luck trying to get this sorted.

Last edited by Atl777; 06-11-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:04 PM
YHC
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I am sorry for all of you having this issue, but I don't think the noise is normal and not every Cayenne has the same issue.
I have 2020 base with standard brake at 13,000 miles, and I don't think I ever had any noise at all.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:17 PM
bluewaterbound
1st Gear

Default Just got back from test drive 2019 E-Hybrid w/ brake issue

I was ready to buy a gorgeous, slightly used "7700 miles" 2019 E-Hybrid today. However, I experienced the brake "crunching" noise as heard in the below videos when I came to a full stop many time son the test drive.
I passed on the car and I'm so disappointed. Yesterday I test drove a 2019 Cayenne S with 11,000 miles and no brake noises. I initially thought the noise was related to regenerate brakes on the E-Hybrid until I read this thread.
Maybe I'll skip looking at 2019 models and focus on 2020. However, cars in the US are hard to find and are getting a premium price at this stage.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:02 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by bluewaterbound
I was ready to buy a gorgeous, slightly used "7700 miles" 2019 E-Hybrid today. However, I experienced the brake "crunching" noise as heard in the below videos when I came to a full stop many time son the test drive.
I passed on the car and I'm so disappointed. Yesterday I test drove a 2019 Cayenne S with 11,000 miles and no brake noises. I initially thought the noise was related to regenerate brakes on the E-Hybrid until I read this thread.
Maybe I'll skip looking at 2019 models and focus on 2020. However, cars in the US are hard to find and are getting a premium price at this stage.
With word on the street that Porsche is readying a mid-cycle refresh of the Cayenne with new PCM 6 software, you might consider waiting a bit given the myriad issues afflicting the current 2019-21 E3 Cayenne (brake noises are only part of it ...).
Old 07-14-2021, 01:54 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Update July 14, 2021
1. Took my car in for the 2nd year maintenance service on June 28th. Escalated the issue and spoke to the service department manager. He then escalated the issue once again to Porsche Canada.
2. I have just got a call from the SA and been informed that Porsche Canada will replace all my brake parts with the S trim brake parts including caliper, pad, and rotors, and see how it goes.
3. The parts should arrive in 1 month from German so i will update once its done.
4. My car still has the creaking ( when the brake is applied - metal wire noise ) and the graunchy noise & vibration ( when the car comes to a top ) even after the front brake parts swap last year.
but that was done with the same part number parts.

Last edited by jamtinge; 07-14-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:19 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by jamtinge
Update July 14, 2021
1. Took my car in for the 2nd year maintenance service on June 28th. Escalated the issue and spoke to the service department manager. He then escalated the issue once again to Porsche Canada.
2. I have just got a call from the SA and been informed that Porsche Canada will replace all my brake parts with the S trim brake parts including caliper, pad, and rotors, and see how it goes.
3. The parts should arrive in 1 month from German so i will update once its done.
4. My car still has the creaking ( when the brake is applied - metal wire noise ) and the graunchy noise & vibration ( when the car comes to a top ) even after the front brake parts swap last year.
but that was done with the same part number parts.
Hopefully the new S brake parts will fix your problem. I have 2,500 kms on my 2021 GTS and to date brakes are mostly quiet coming to a stop and releasing the pedal to move off. Exception: When the brakes are cold in the morning or after I wash the car, I get a bit of creaking when I come to a stop or when I release them. It goes away after a few stops. I haven't heard any brake squeal. I think I read the Cayenne S and GTS brakes are the same (at least the front brakes)?

Last edited by kayjh; 07-14-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:27 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

With high-temp ceramic brake pads you will get squeaks when cold and also when hot if you don't commit to braking. This is due to the nature of friction coefficients of the mating surface in relation to temperature.
You will get the same noise in AMG, M, RS and every other high performance brands' cars, albeit to a varying degree depending on how much brake deposit is sticking to the rotor surface.
Heavy cars need strong brakes and Porsche is a brand that you can essentially track(even for a short session) all their cars regardless of whether it is Cayman, 911, or Cayenne.

Porsche also rarely if ever compromises safety related parts even when there are customers' complaints about little things like noise.
I rather like the sound because it feels like I'm at a track.

Last edited by s85b50; 07-20-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:21 AM
MRSQ7
2nd Gear

I purchased an 2021 Audi SQ7 a couple months ago and have the same brake crunch noise that so many are experiencing. I believe Audi and Porsche might share some components, maybe same brake pads? Already took car to dealership once and was told the same BS, normal for performance oriented vehicles.

Video1
Video2

Old 08-18-2021, 01:56 PM
Lovehateporsche
5th Gear

So I've been having the same brake groan/grinding issue with my 2020 cayenne base that was not present until the car hit 10k miles. I'm not at 15k miles and it just keeps getting worse. The noise has gotten so loud to the point where I've been told I need to go take the car in for service from a colleague. Initially took it to Porsche in Chicago who advised it was normal and sent me on my way. I opened a claim with 1800 Porsche at that time and reported that not only was there no documentation provided or visit logged, there wasn't even a test drive! Took it to Porsche in New York today (I drive a lot), and they say this is normal. Getting my car routine service, and on the test drive the tech said other cars do this also. He did show me a new porsche cayenne that made a similar noise. It seems like some porsche cayennes do it and some dont.
Has anyone found a fix for this? I filed another claim with 1800 Porsche but I need to have some supporting documentation of what people have had done to try to fix this. Any lawsuits that are active against this? Any TSB or updates from porsche people have heard?
I am about ready to trade/sell the car because I do not have the time to deal with this or the patience for the noise (maybe its my OCD). Been a porsche fan since a kid, but this is completely unacceptable.
If someone can help me find a resolution to this, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 08-18-2021, 02:08 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovehateporsche
So I've been having the same brake groan/grinding issue with my 2020 cayenne base that was not present until the car hit 10k miles. I'm not at 15k miles and it just keeps getting worse. The noise has gotten so loud to the point where I've been told I need to go take the car in for service from a colleague. Initially took it to Porsche in Chicago who advised it was normal and sent me on my way. I opened a claim with 1800 Porsche at that time and reported that not only was there no documentation provided or visit logged, there wasn't even a test drive! Took it to Porsche in New York today (I drive a lot), and they say this is normal. Getting my car routine service, and on the test drive the tech said other cars do this also. He did show me a new porsche cayenne that made a similar noise. It seems like some porsche cayennes do it and some dont.
Has anyone found a fix for this? I filed another claim with 1800 Porsche but I need to have some supporting documentation of what people have had done to try to fix this. Any lawsuits that are active against this? Any TSB or updates from porsche people have heard?
I am about ready to trade/sell the car because I do not have the time to deal with this or the patience for the noise (maybe its my OCD). Been a porsche fan since a kid, but this is completely unacceptable.
If someone can help me find a resolution to this, I'd greatly appreciate it!
What level of brakes are on your car? If standard iron (black caliper for base car, gray for S), welcome (unfortunately) to the club. I opened a case in 2020, I was told new parts were coming (it's written on my invoice and I was told this by 1800), and then months passed with (1) no new parts, (2) the crunching noise is still there, and (3) it's now "normal." 1800 is extremely annoying. You will likely get nowhere with this unless you raise the bar with legal action. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:28 PM
Lovehateporsche
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LSR
What level of brakes are on your car? If standard iron (black caliper for base car, gray for S), welcome (unfortunately) to the club. I opened a case in 2020, I was told new parts were coming (it's written on my invoice and I was told this by 1800), and then months passed with (1) no new parts, (2) the crunching noise is still there, and (3) it's now "normal." 1800 is extremely annoying. You will likely get nowhere with this unless you raise the bar with legal action. Please keep us posted.
Hey! Yes its the black caliper for base car. Unfortunately, I'm a physician and not a lawyer so wouldn't even know how to go after Porsche for this. Any lawyers here with similar experience that can help?
1800 Porsche is frustrating to deal with. Called and after 45 minutes, the call obviously got disconnected. No callback, no email, nothing...
Old 09-15-2021, 02:37 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For those of you who have been following my thread, Porsche Canada offered the brake upgrade in order to resolve the issue. ( every brake parts including caliper, pad, rotor, etc )

I dropped off the car on Aug. 13th, and just picked up the car. Yes it took a month but the car was just sitting at the dealership waiting for the missing parts from Germany.

Anyways, my 2019 base car now has a Silver S brake and the new rotor with holes. Please see the pic below

Result? the car still has the same brake vibration & noise. I really thought they would resolve the problem this time... its getting really frustrating that they can't fix this even with the new brake parts.

I don't know if 2021 Cayenne is still experiencing the same brake problem, but i know that they installed the new parts supplied from Germany.

I just emailed my SA to see what Porsche Canada said about this. I couldn't meet him as he was on lunch.. so i just picked up the car and left the dealership.

Last edited by jamtinge; 09-15-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM
YHC
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I really feel sorry for you that they still can't get this problem solved.
It's unbelievable that they can't fix this problem even after all new parts are installed.
How do you explain that some of Cayenne don't have this brake issue and some do.
According to the responses here, some have been fixed with new parts, just springs, not the whole new brake system.
It's mind boggling.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?