Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020 | 11:44 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

That's a great video, and replicates exactly the crunches and creaks my 2019 base Cayenne's brakes make. I have a case about this opened last year with 1-800-PORSCHE and am still waiting to hear back from them telling me when the promised upgraded brake parts that they told me were tested in February would be available. I'll ping them again this week. Last time I pinged them (a month ago) they told me the factory was shut down because of the pandemic and everything's been delayed.
Old 06-09-2020 | 11:55 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jamtinge
A few people have sent me a PM asking if the brake problem has been resolved on my car. Unfortunately, the answer is NO after almost 1 year of ownership.
I have been updating this thread (for almost 9 months now) to let the potential buyer be aware of the problem with Cayenne, or how Porsche may treat you.
So please think twice if you are yet to buy one, or do thorough testdrive before making the decision.

The base brake on Cayenne seems to suffer 2 kinds of noises. "Graunch" and "creaking" are the most common expression people use to describe the noise.
I will post a video filmed a few days ago. Fortunately/unfortunately my car has both noises so i can show you both in one video!

1. "Graunching noise": whenever a car comes to a stop or release brake from a stop.
2. "Creaking noise": whenever you apply brake at low speed ( best heard between 0:10 ~ 0:13, you may need to turn up the volume, the video was filmed with my cell phone wihout external mic )
--> The noise that will freak out people when heard first time. It sounds like the metal brake wire is twisting about to cut off although you may know the car isn't brake by wire any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gFfaQAcxWQ
I have a 2019 Cayenne S, but now that I hear the noise, I have that noise when I am in reverse only.. Since it is only in reverse, it does not bother me.. but I feel your pain, I had Mercedes with similar issues, and it is very frustrating.

Mercedes used some Mercedes squeal/noise pastes, and it lasted for a couple of weeks before it came back..

Maybe that may work for you in the interim..?

Old 06-09-2020 | 05:22 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
I have a 2019 Cayenne S, but now that I hear the noise, I have that noise when I am in reverse only.. Since it is only in reverse, it does not bother me.. but I feel your pain, I had Mercedes with similar issues, and it is very frustrating.

Mercedes used some Mercedes squeal/noise pastes, and it lasted for a couple of weeks before it came back..

Maybe that may work for you in the interim..?

I am somewhat used to the noise now.. and would like to see a permanent fix. But thank you for the suggestion i will look into this.
Old 06-10-2020 | 02:25 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Issue still present on my 19 base Cayenne, just took the car in for some brake recall (not related to the graunching/low speed noise) and have a Bose rattle investigated. Had them look at the brakes again and I was told by design/normal (again)

I am somewhat used to the noise now.. and would like to see a permanent fix. But thank you for the suggestion i will look into this.
x2, other than the brakes I do love my Cayenne
Old 06-10-2020 | 02:59 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
x2, other than the brakes I do love my Cayenne
This may be slightly off-topic, and for that I apologize in advance. But I just had to ask in response to your above comment: other than the brakes, do you have any issues with the car? Do you experience the transmission's lurching 3-2 downshifts? I find that even more annoying than the brake noises (which, Porsche says, they working on with updated parts; but I've heard nothing about a software update for the transmission). Then, there's the implementation of AS/S that cuts off the engine at 4 mph. And finally, what about the inability of any steering wheel button to select your favorite stations (an astonishing oversight, IMO)? I also love my Cayenne because of the way it handles. But I don't see myself buying another unless all of the brake, transmission, AS/S, and user-interface problems are designed out of the car. I've owned 911s since the early 70s. My current one is not only the best 911 I've ever owned, but in my view it's the best car I've ever owned. My 911 has none of the foibles afflicting the Cayenne, and is a delight to drive. My 2019 Cayenne with all these issues, not so much.
Old 06-10-2020 | 03:16 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LSR
This may be slightly off-topic, and for that I apologize in advance. But I just had to ask in response to your above comment: other than the brakes, do you have any issues with the car? Do you experience the transmission's lurching 3-2 downshifts? I find that even more annoying than the brake noises (which, Porsche says, they working on with updated parts; but I've heard nothing about a software update for the transmission). Then, there's the implementation of AS/S that cuts off the engine at 4 mph. And finally, what about the inability of any steering wheel button to select your favorite stations (an astonishing oversight, IMO)? I also love my Cayenne because of the way it handles. But I don't see myself buying another unless all of the brake, transmission, AS/S, and user-interface problems are designed out of the car. I've owned 911s since the early 70s. My current one is not only the best 911 I've ever owned, but in my view it's the best car I've ever owned. My 911 has none of the foibles afflicting the Cayenne, and is a delight to drive. My 2019 Cayenne with all these issues, not so much.
No worries. Only other issue is an annoying rattle in my front passenger Bose speaker which is scheduled to be replaced. I programmed my individual button to just turn off ***, the first thing I press when I get in the car. Other than the speaker (and brakes), I love the build quality of the car (solid tank feeling), updated interior is nice, and I like that I got all my must have options in the premium package. It's a nice comfortable big A to B daily for me. Would be nice to have skip track back and forward on the steering wheel I completely agree, but oh well cest la vie. I programmed my custom button on the steering wheel to at least give me "next track"

Now if you are going to ask me how it compares to my 991 50th, not even close
Old 06-10-2020 | 04:52 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LSR
Then, there's the implementation of AS/S that cuts off the engine at 4 mph.
A/s/s should be deactivated the day you get the car. It's dangerous and it wears out your car. My car goes by default to "I" mode, which is setup to sport+suspesion II. That takes care of a/s/s and lethargic gearbox behaviour in standard lame mode.

The only two issues I have with my 2019 Cayenne is PASM system erroring out randomly once every few weeks. Inconsistency of hitch opening with your foot.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 06-10-2020 | 05:00 PM
nicoleATX
Track Day

A few people have sent me a PM asking if the brake problem has been resolved on my car. Unfortunately, the answer is NO after almost 1 year of ownership.
I have been updating this thread (for almost 9 months now) to let the potential buyer be aware of the problem with Cayenne, or how Porsche may treat you.
So please think twice if you are yet to buy one, or do thorough testdrive before making the decision.

The base brake on Cayenne seems to suffer 2 kinds of noises. "Graunch" and "creaking" are the most common expression people use to describe the noise.
I will post a video filmed a few days ago. Fortunately/unfortunately my car has both noises so i can show you both in one video!

1. "Graunching noise": whenever a car comes to a stop or release brake from a stop.
2. "Creaking noise": whenever you apply brake at low speed ( best heard between 0:10 ~ 0:13, you may need to turn up the volume, the video was filmed with my cell phone wihout external mic )
--> The noise that will freak out people when heard first time. It sounds like the metal brake wire is twisting about to cut off although you may know the car isn't brake by wire any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gFfaQAcxWQ
Mine made this same noise and I got Porsche Austin to fix it a few weeks ago. Photo of what they did to fix it. Haven’t heard the noise yet and hoping I don’t because it was very annoying to hear every time I stopped.
Old 06-11-2020 | 11:19 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by nicoleATX
Mine made this same noise and I got Porsche Austin to fix it a few weeks ago. Photo of what they did to fix it. Haven’t heard the noise yet and hoping I don’t because it was very annoying to hear every time I stopped.
NicoleATX,

Thank you very much for posting this. I will be dropping off my car for its 1st year maintenance in a couple of weeks. I will show them the photo and see if they can eliminate this "normally operating designed feature" out of the car.
The following users liked this post:
nicoleATX (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020 | 11:27 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Originally Posted by nicoleATX
Thanks for this but what is written appears to be a short term fix. No part replacement or anything that probably didn't come from the factory in the first place. I suspect the issue is related to the pad material compound against the rotors so until they replace some part, and likely the pads with a different material, I suspect the sound will come back. Please keep us informed about what you notice over time.
Old 06-11-2020 | 11:37 AM
YHC
Instructor

Deleted
Old 06-11-2020 | 11:40 AM
YHC
Instructor

Does anyone know if this noise applies to most of Cayenne or just random numbers?
I have 2020 Base with August 2019 build date which I picked it up in Dec 2019 due to a weird sales hold/recall.
Due to Covid-19, I just have 2800 mils on it now, but I've never had any issue with brake noise from day one.
If mine has the same calipers, rotors, pads and hardware as the ones with making noises, I don't know what would be the culprit then.
Old 06-11-2020 | 11:46 AM
nicoleATX
Track Day

Originally Posted by Pushinit
Thanks for this but what is written appears to be a short term fix. No part replacement or anything that probably didn't come from the factory in the first place. I suspect the issue is related to the pad material compound against the rotors so until they replace some part, and likely the pads with a different material, I suspect the sound will come back. Please keep us informed about what you notice over time.
Will do. I think it might be something with the adjustment they made to the break pads that made the sound go away. I saw another post on this forum that something similar was done to theirs where the pads were repositioned or flipped?? that fixed it as well.
Old 06-15-2020 | 02:35 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by YHC
Does anyone know if this noise applies to most of Cayenne or just random numbers?
I have 2020 Base with August 2019 build date which I picked it up in Dec 2019 due to a weird sales hold/recall.
Due to Covid-19, I just have 2800 mils on it now, but I've never had any issue with brake noise from day one.
If mine has the same calipers, rotors, pads and hardware as the ones with making noises, I don't know what would be the culprit then.
My understanding is not all but quite many has this issue. pretty wide spread problem (or normal feature according to Porsche )
I do not know if Porsche has made any changes on its 2nd year production cayenne.
Old 06-15-2020 | 02:51 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YHC
It's not surprising to me that the brakes on your 2020 base with only 2800 miles are quiet. My 2019 base (black calipers) had no brake noise either, until I clocked around 8,000 miles. Since then to this day with over 17k miles on my car, the crunch and creak brake noises have not ceased. My case about this with Porsche has been pending for more than six months. I was told back in January upgraded parts are coming. I'll believe that when I see them. In the meanwhile, the only sure-fire fix seems to be earplugs.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?