Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:08 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Hi Guys,

I've noticed there is another big thread on the squeal noise, but i think my problem is a bit different from everyone elses. so i will start a new thread.

My car is 2019 Cayenne with the standard brake ( not ceramic or surface coated )

The problem is NOT squeal noise, but rather noise & vibration when the car comes to a stop.

The noise & vibration comes and goes, but when the problem is present i can hear/feel it all the way to my work ( 20 min commute )

I've already dropped my car off dealership twice, but they say this is normal and can be observed on all Cayenne. ( at least they told me they experimented with 3 different cayenne at the dealership and they all do this )

So.. my question is.... is this true and does your cayenne make this kind of noise & vibration?

Video 1 - This is me stepping on brake and releasing it on my drive way

VIdeo 2 - in a parking lot making stops
The following users liked this post:
bsklar (05-25-2020)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

That sounds similar to mine. And the stops are not smooth at all. Very "sticky" as it is coming to a stop.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:39 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow, that would drive me nuts. How many miles on the car? That is definitely not normal nor acceptable even on a Kia. If you car is new, try a few hard stops, going forward and in reverse mashing down on the brakes. Perhaps they just need to be bedded in. The sounds you posted are Not normal!
Old 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my answer. The second video sounds more like mine. But a question about the first video. Are you saying that it makes that noise when you aren't even moving? Mine makes no sound just sitting in my driveway and pressing it.

Last edited by Pushinit; 09-30-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:41 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

The car did this from Day 1, and that was my initial thought as well. The car has 2500km on the clock, and i have already tried hard braking to see if it goes away, but no luck
And yes, you can see that the car is not moving in the first video.

what really surprises me is i was told this is normal on all cayenne. this isn't my first car, not to mention my first Porsche. This isn't normal at all in my book
Old 09-30-2019, 02:45 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine is a little grabby/sticky right when coming to a stop while parking (when creeping forward very slowly) but during normal driving, I have no noise at all. And what your car is doing definitely does not at all sound normal to me.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM
SpyderD
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My Cayenne does not do this. Occasional squeak but no chatter or vibration.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 AM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinit
That sounds similar to mine. And the stops are not smooth at all. Very "sticky" as it is coming to a stop.
According to my service advisor, everything that would be considered as an issue with other, lesser brands, is standard in Porsche. Here are the answers I've received at my last visit:

- Brakes squeak: Porsche uses high-quality brakes that need to warm up. It's normal.
- Front and rear bumpers don't match in certain lighting conditions: Painted plastics won't ever match ideally to their metal counterparts. It's normal.
- Car won't start (happened twice to me): No issue found. Advised to lock the car in the garage and at all times. It happens
- Car is jerky when backing up during the first 10 seconds or so after cold start: Let the car warm up. It's normal.
- Software crashes and reboots once in a while (main center screen): No issue found. Let it reboot.

Probably my expectations are too high... It's just a car after all. Plus I got to drive a base Macan for a few days as they got these answers ready for me. But ever since I stopped looking at it in morning and evening light, keep the radio high so I don't hear the brakes, and keep the car locked at all times, it's been great... and I especially appreciate it when it starts up right away!!!! Something I always took for granted.

Last edited by BlackerFriday; 10-01-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edit
The following 3 users liked this post by BlackerFriday:
03clyde (10-01-2019), dashanin (09-21-2020), SoundsoftheSuburbs (10-14-2020)
Old 10-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackerFriday
According to my service advisor, everything that would be considered as an issue with other, lesser brands, is standard in Porsche. Here are the answers I've received at my last visit:

- Brakes squeak: Porsche uses high-quality brakes that need to warm up. It's normal.
- Front and rear bumpers don't match in certain lighting conditions: Painted plastics won't ever match ideally to their metal counterparts. It's normal.
- Car won't start (happened twice to me): No issue found. Advised to lock the car in the garage and at all times. It happens
- Car is jerky when backing up during the first 10 seconds or so after cold start: Let the car warm up. It's normal.
- Software crashes and reboots once in a while (main center screen): No issue found. Let it reboot.

Probably my expectations are too high... It's just a car after all. Plus I got to drive a base Macan for a few days as they got these answers ready for me. But ever since I stopped looking at it in morning and evening light, keep the radio high so I don't hear the brakes, and keep the car locked at all times, it's been great... and I especially appreciate it when it starts up right away!!!! Something I always took for granted.
What arrogance! They should be ashamed to those issues as "normal". Thankfully I don't have those other issues. I just got rid of a Lexus that did the infotainment reboot thing once in a while. It didn't affect driving so I lived with it. But not starting? What does locking it in the garage have to do with it?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 AM
TuckerNH
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2019 Cayenne Hybrid makes essentially the same noises right as it comes to a complete stop and upon releasing the brakes. Had the noise right out of the dealership. I haven't been back to dealership yet as I've only put on about 500 miles, but will soon and will give a follow-up. Pretty noisy in line at the drive thru at Dunkin with all the stop and go.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackerFriday

- Car won't start (happened twice to me): No issue found. Advised to lock the car in the garage and at all times. It happens"

"Car won't start (happened twice to me): No issue found. Advised to lock the car in the garage and at all times. It happens"

I remember my Mercedes SUVs suffering from this very annoying issue.. You will be driving and the vehicle will just die while driving, or it will not start..

Most of the time, it will work again after minutes or hours later..

At the end, it was the camshaft position sensor, which Mercedes did not monitor. When they heat or if they were defective (many of them were) the sensor will stop working..

Of course, when the car started working, and you were at the dealer, they will say "we don't see anything wrong.." and we never heard any problem like this.. which was just BS since the Mercedes SUV forums in that time was full of these issues.. For some people with this problem, Mercedes refuse to change the camshaft position sensor until the problem was pervasive..

Porsche is a lot better than Mercedes in quality and service, but I am sure there are hiccups too..

When you went to the dealer, they will say
Old 10-01-2019, 11:29 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by TuckerNH
My 2019 Cayenne Hybrid makes essentially the same noises right as it comes to a complete stop and upon releasing the brakes. Had the noise right out of the dealership. I haven't been back to dealership yet as I've only put on about 500 miles, but will soon and will give a follow-up. Pretty noisy in line at the drive thru at Dunkin with all the stop and go.

Please let me know how it goes with your dealership. I've already dropped off my car twice for this and my car isn't still fixed
this is just so stressful to drive in heavy traffic area
Old 10-01-2019, 12:43 PM
BlackerFriday
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinit
What does locking it in the garage have to do with it?
To make sure all the electronics (gauges, lights, and related) shut down completely.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:32 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2019 Cayenne S, standard brakes, 6500miles, does the same thing as in your video #1. I can easily replicate the same sound. Dealer says it's the suspension loading and unloading a low speed or from stops and starts. Porsche corporate says it's the brakes and it's normal. Normal my keester. Not fixed, not happy.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:48 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03clyde
My 2019 Cayenne S, standard brakes, 6500miles, does the same thing as in your video #1. I can easily replicate the same sound. Dealer says it's the suspension loading and unloading a low speed or from stops and starts. Porsche corporate says it's the brakes and it's normal. Normal my keester. Not fixed, not happy.
ouch.. this is sad to hear. you just blew my hope of getting this fixed. Does your car make this noise & vibration in traffic jam as it does in video #2? i literally have to listen to this noise in stop and go traffic and i am at a point where i don't even want to drive the car any more.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?