Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 296 Likes on 189 Posts

My 2019 base has 13K miles. Brakes are absolutely fine.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 06-16-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a little update. I had the 1st yr maintenance service done last Satruday.
1. I did ask my service advisor to perform the fix NicoleATX had posted earlier and see if it resolves the issue on my car ( Shown as "customer supplied service recommendation" on the 3rd row )
--> no luck, the noise is still there as you can see from the line below. and the brake is "operating to spec". so i was told again the brake was normal according to Porsche.
2. i also asked the service advisor if the noise issue has been resolved on 2020 Cayenne. Nope it is still there on 2020 production cars. if you have this noise on your 2020 you are out of luck.
3. The service advisor will contact Porsche Canada AGAIN. but no confirmed date as of yet. I don't know how this will pan out with all this COVID, but will post any progress later if any

Old 07-03-2020, 12:45 PM
nicoleATX
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamtinge
1. I did ask my service advisor to perform the fix NicoleATX had posted earlier and see if it resolves the issue on my car ( Shown as "customer supplied service recommendation" on the 3rd row )
--> no luck, the noise is still there as you can see from the line below. and the brake is "operating to spec". so i was told again the brake was normal according to Porsche.
2. i also asked the service advisor if the noise issue has been resolved on 2020 Cayenne. Nope it is still there on 2020 production cars. if you have this noise on your 2020 you are out of luck.
3. The service advisor will contact Porsche Canada AGAIN. but no confirmed date as of yet. I don't know how this will pan out with all this COVID, but will post any progress later if any
Sorry! That is so annoying! Mine crunching/popping noise still hasn’t come back luckily. Of course the groaning is still there and that’s not going away. If they can get an engineer to look at it I bet then can fix it. They had to get an engineer to come out and look at mine.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:46 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by nicoleATX
Sorry! That is so annoying! Mine crunching/popping noise still hasn’t come back luckily. Of course the groaning is still there and that’s not going away. If they can get an engineer to look at it I bet then can fix it. They had to get an engineer to come out and look at mine.
Thank you for posting the info anyways! still haven't heard back yet so i don't know when my car will be brought in though haha.. with all this covid bs i guess this is something i have to live with.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:59 AM
Dr200
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few people have sent me a PM asking if the brake problem has been resolved on my car. Unfortunately, the answer is NO after almost 1 year of ownership.
I have been updating this thread (for almost 9 months now) to let the potential buyer be aware of the problem with Cayenne, or how Porsche may treat you.
So please think twice if you are yet to buy one, or do thorough testdrive before making the decision.

The base brake on Cayenne seems to suffer 2 kinds of noises. "Graunch" and "creaking" are the most common expression people use to describe the noise.
I will post a video filmed a few days ago. Fortunately/unfortunately my car has both noises so i can show you both in one video!

1. "Graunching noise": whenever a car comes to a stop or release brake from a stop.
2. "Creaking noise": whenever you apply brake at low speed ( best heard between 0:10 ~ 0:13, you may need to turn up the volume, the video was filmed with my cell phone wihout external mic )
--> The noise that will freak out people when heard first time. It sounds like the metal brake wire is twisting about to cut off although you may know the car isn't brake by wire any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gFfaQAcxWQ
I have a 2020 Base Cayanne received Sept 2019. I have the same noises/vibrations as these videos. Its extremely annoying. I would consider this a problem. Booked the car in for service last week and was just told porsce is working on a solution with no ETA. I will be contacting Porsche canada and seeing if I can get any more info. I have never owned a new car that did this. It's been happening from about 1000km on. Currently at 11,000km. Hopefully more people bug Porsche and they might finally figure something out. It's making me miss the Toureg tdi I traded in.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:00 AM
Dr200
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please delete

Last edited by Dr200; 08-30-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:59 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr200
I have a 2020 Base Cayanne received Sept 2019. I have the same noises/vibrations as these videos. Its extremely annoying. I would consider this a problem. Booked the car in for service last week and was just told porsce is working on a solution with no ETA. I will be contacting Porsche canada and seeing if I can get any more info. I have never owned a new car that did this. It's been happening from about 1000km on. Currently at 11,000km. Hopefully more people bug Porsche and they might finally figure something out. It's making me miss the Toureg tdi I traded in.
This is an update to an earlier post of mine, in which I reported about the same brake noises on my base 2019 Cayenne. To recap: (1) in Jan 2020, I was told in writing by my dealer, after he had reached out to PCNA about the brake noises on my car, that “Porsche is going to update parts,” and (2) in Apr 2020, PCNA Customer Relations told me, also in writing, that "upon further discussion with our technical team, it appears a solution is currently in testing at Porsche of Germany to eliminate the potential brake noise that some owners of Cayenne's like yours might be experiencing. This testing is expected to continue through February of 2020." All of this was encouraging news. But that's pretty much where things still stand about new brake parts. I have tried to find out from Porsche Customer Relations the status of the updated parts, but each time I call the rep who was working my case has been "unavailable" and so far has not returned any of my many calls. It seems Porsche Customer Service no longer wants to discuss the issue of updated parts.

However, although PCNA does not seem any longer willing to discuss updated parts, this past week the Customer Relations rep said this in an email: "I have noted a potential updated bulletin dated June 26, 2020 and appears to replace a previous brake noise bulletin. If you would like to follow up with me where you would like to service the vehicle, I would be happy to get in touch with the service department on your behalf to discuss this update." I could not find a June 26, 2020 service bulletin through NHTSA.gov or other online sources, and when I called to get more information about this from Customer Relations the rep of course was "unavailable" and did not call back. As my car just went in for its 20k service, I asked my dealer to reach out to Customer Relations to find out more about this mystery June 26, 2020 bulletin. The car's still in the shop so I don't know what the dealer learned. I'll report back when I find out. But I'm not hopeful. My service loaner car - a new 2020 base Cayenne with 3k miles on it and the same base (black caliper) brakes - makes the same brake noises. So if there are updated parts, it seems they haven't found their way into recent production.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

This is an update to my post just above this one. The Porsche Customer Relations rep who's been involved with my case just said in an email, "I did previously receive word that there were potential resolutions for certain brake noise situations being reviewed by Porsche Germany back in February, but that is the last update I received. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer any further updates on parts or repairs ...". In other words, Porsche Customer Service isn't going to say any more about whether or when there will be updated parts and the rep still won't return my calls. The rep's email also said he's been in conversation with my SA and "We are currently reviewing what next steps can be taken." I am not at all hopeful this will resolve satisfactorily. Stay tuned ....
Old 08-31-2020, 04:48 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
This is an update to my post just above this one. The Porsche Customer Relations rep who's been involved with my case just said in an email, "I did previously receive word that there were potential resolutions for certain brake noise situations being reviewed by Porsche Germany back in February, but that is the last update I received. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer any further updates on parts or repairs ...". In other words, Porsche Customer Service isn't going to say any more about whether or when there will be updated parts and the rep still won't return my calls. The rep's email also said he's been in conversation with my SA and "We are currently reviewing what next steps can be taken." I am not at all hopeful this will resolve satisfactorily. Stay tuned ....
I'm going in Thursday to have some work done and am going to get on the record with Porsche about my issues with the brakes just in case something is ever done. When taking with my new SA and explaining the sound, his response was "all Porsche brakes are noisy" so I'm not optimistic either.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:09 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pushinit
I'm going in Thursday to have some work done and am going to get on the record with Porsche about my issues with the brakes just in case something is ever done. When taking with my new SA and explaining the sound, his response was "all Porsche brakes are noisy" so I'm not optimistic either.
"All Porsche brakes are noisy" is customer-relations speak, and nonsense. My 991.1's brakes are perfectly silent, and have been for 6 years. My Cayenne's brakes were too, for about 7k miles. Plus, the "noise" your dealer was trained to talk about is different - it's brake squeal. The base Cayenne's brakes do not have a squealing issue (at least, none of the posts I've seen complain about that type of noise).

The only way base Cayenne owners are going to get Porsche to do anything about the base brake noises is for as many people as possible whose cars have the noise problem to complain and demand that Porsche fix the brakes. I recommend that you call 1-800-PORSCHE to start a case and document the issue with your car, and then follow that up with an email to confirm. Mention problems others are having (just read this and other threads about the brake noises afflicting base (black caliper brakes), and as long as you're at it mention that Porsche Customer Relations has told at least one other person (e.g., me) in writing that updated brake parts were being developed and these parts were scheduled to have been tested in February 2020. If you (and others whose cars are afflicted with this problem) don't make noise about this, your car's brake noises will not go away.

Last edited by LSR; 08-31-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:40 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by LSR
Thank you for the update!

This is an update for my #3 as well. I have never heard back from Porsche Canada for almost 2 months. (My 1st yr maintenance was done in early July)
Last week, i was so fed up with this brake noise on my way to work. The noise was so bad it somehow scared me to drive the car. The damn brake felt like it would fail any time if i applied more pressure on the brake. if you have this noise you know what it is. it sounds like some metal wire twisting/creaking and about to be cut off.
Anyways i just went straight to the dealership without any appointment, did a roadtest with head tech. I was assured again the brake was working to spec and also promised someone from Porsche canada would contact me in a couple days.
Now its been a week without any calls. really confidence inspiring car & brand. Good job Porsche.
If you are a potential new buyer, and reading this. i've warned you here this brake problem has not been fixed on any year current generation cayenne.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
"All Porsche brakes are noisy" is customer-relations speak, and nonsense. My 991.1's brakes are perfectly silent, and have been for 6 years. My Cayenne's brakes were too, for about 7k miles. Plus, the "noise" your dealer was trained to talk about is different - it's brake squeal. The base Cayenne's brakes do not have a squealing issue (at least, none of the posts I've seen complain about that type of noise).

The only way base Cayenne owners are going to get Porsche to do anything about the base brake noises is for as many people as possible whose cars have the noise problem to complain and demand that Porsche fix the brakes. I recommend that you call 1-800-PORSCHE to start a case and document the issue with your car, and then follow that up with an email to confirm. Mention problems others are having (just read this and other threads about the brake noises afflicting base (black caliper brakes), and as long as you're at it mention that Porsche Customer Relations has told at least one other person (e.g., me) in writing that updated brake parts were being developed and these parts were scheduled to have been tested in February 2020. If you (and others whose cars are afflicted with this problem) don't make noise about this, your car's brake noises will not go away.
So I dropped off the car this morning and took a ride with the tech who acknowledged the known issue with the noise but that it was "normal" for those brakes. I then called PCNA, as you suggested above, and spoke with a very nice and clueless rep who logged my complaint. As with everyone else, her position was that it was a high performance brake and all of those make noise. I made it clear that I knew high performance brakes and none make this noise, even from Porsche. So one more complaint is officially logged.

My loaner is a 2020 Cayenne with the same brakes and same annoying sound.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Question on brakes, First of all I assume that you are all talking about the ceramic coated brakes? I have these on my 2020 Cayenne with only 1500 miles on it. No noise so far. How many miles do you all have before the brakes started making noise?
Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray831
Question on brakes, First of all I assume that you are all talking about the ceramic coated brakes? I have these on my 2020 Cayenne with only 1500 miles on it. No noise so far. How many miles do you all have before the brakes started making noise?
No - not the ceramics. The discussion is about standard iron brakes (black caliper) on the base Cayenne. The black caliper brakes have a very different noise profile than the ceramics.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:38 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LSR
This is an update to an earlier post of mine, in which I reported about the same brake noises on my base 2019 Cayenne. To recap: (1) in Jan 2020, I was told in writing by my dealer, after he had reached out to PCNA about the brake noises on my car, that “Porsche is going to update parts,” and (2) in Apr 2020, PCNA Customer Relations told me, also in writing, that "upon further discussion with our technical team, it appears a solution is currently in testing at Porsche of Germany to eliminate the potential brake noise that some owners of Cayenne's like yours might be experiencing. This testing is expected to continue through February of 2020." All of this was encouraging news. But that's pretty much where things still stand about new brake parts. I have tried to find out from Porsche Customer Relations the status of the updated parts, but each time I call the rep who was working my case has been "unavailable" and so far has not returned any of my many calls. It seems Porsche Customer Service no longer wants to discuss the issue of updated parts.

However, although PCNA does not seem any longer willing to discuss updated parts, this past week the Customer Relations rep said this in an email: "I have noted a potential updated bulletin dated June 26, 2020 and appears to replace a previous brake noise bulletin. If you would like to follow up with me where you would like to service the vehicle, I would be happy to get in touch with the service department on your behalf to discuss this update." I could not find a June 26, 2020 service bulletin through NHTSA.gov or other online sources, and when I called to get more information about this from Customer Relations the rep of course was "unavailable" and did not call back. As my car just went in for its 20k service, I asked my dealer to reach out to Customer Relations to find out more about this mystery June 26, 2020 bulletin. The car's still in the shop so I don't know what the dealer learned. I'll report back when I find out. But I'm not hopeful. My service loaner car - a new 2020 base Cayenne with 3k miles on it and the same base (black caliper) brakes - makes the same brake noises. So if there are updated parts, it seems they haven't found their way into recent production.
This is a further update to the above and earlier posts of mine. My car is back ... with the same brake noises as it went in for (standard iron, black caliper brakes). The techs told me they are working normally and they didn't hear any unusual noises. My PCNA rep finally called me and said he spoke with the shop and was told the brakes are working normally. Ditto for my lunging transmission, by the way. And I do understand why they say this - the 2020 loaner I was given creaked and groaned when stopping and it lunged on downshifts just like my early build 2019. The cars are (mis)designed to have crunchy-creaky brakes and to lunge, and it seems Porsche at least for now is not going to do anything about either problem. Too bad, because but for these issues the car really drives well (as long as I turn off AS/S). But the noises and lunging are so bothersome to me that when the time comes to get a new car in a year or so, it won't be a Cayenne unless the noises and lunges have been designed out.

Last edited by LSR; 09-03-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?