OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts
Arrow OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread

Hello Everyone,

After seeing the months of delay Panamera Hybrid customers endured last year and how information was scattered around the forums, I've decided to create a new thread dedicated to Hybrid customers who are now going through the same thing.

I just received word that my car is set to arrive September 2019, similar to what many of you have heard for your hybrids. Out of principal, I don't think it's fair for a company to delay a car from April to September, especially when it sounds like paperwork isn't being filed. Nevertheless, we don't know what Porsche is doing behind the scenes, but I do know that we deserve to be somewhat compensated. That being said, I contacted PCNA this morning and spoke to someone about my concerns. She was very understanding and will email me early next week after doing an internal review and talking to others. She said that this stuff is a case by case basis, but I believe that everyone who is put through this process deserves the same compensation, especially since some people are dealing with sales associates who don't know that compensation is even a possibility.

If you own a Cayenne Hybrid allocation and are told by your SA that it's been delayed to September, please call 1-800-PORSCHE and talk to someone just to bring it to their attention. It's very early to have this conversation with PCNA, but being early can avoid confusion and discrepancies down the road.

Porsche is a great brand, they make great cars and this Cayenne e-Hybrid is the best Cayenne in my opinion, and I'm hoping for similar compensation as Panamera Hybrid customers: 3 years of maintenance and $5k additional off which can be applied to any Porsche car if we choose to drop the Cayenne Hybrid.

Lastly, I've seen a video on Instagram of a Cayenne on fire on the side of a highway in Europe. From the lights and silhouette, it is obvious that it's a 2019. More importantly, the fire is roaring in the rear of the car (mainly the trunk), where the engine is not on fire. The Cayenne e-Hybrid's battery back is in the rear. I'm in no way insinuating or saying that this can happen to us, but it's something that I think should be looked at and carefully assessed by PCNA. My wife didn't want the hybrid at first because of fire concerns and I thought that there was no way that could happen, but now I'm a little concerned. Let me know if you would like me to post the video on here.

Thank you,
ssiminou
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssiminou
Hello Everyone,

After seeing the months of delay Panamera Hybrid customers endured last year and how information was scattered around the forums, I've decided to create a new thread dedicated to Hybrid customers who are now going through the same thing.

I just received word that my car is set to arrive September 2019, similar to what many of you have heard for your hybrids. Out of principal, I don't think it's fair for a company to delay a car from April to September, especially when it sounds like paperwork isn't being filed. Nevertheless, we don't know what Porsche is doing behind the scenes, but I do know that we deserve to be somewhat compensated. That being said, I contacted PCNA this morning and spoke to someone about my concerns. She was very understanding and will email me early next week after doing an internal review and talking to others. She said that this stuff is a case by case basis, but I believe that everyone who is put through this process deserves the same compensation, especially since some people are dealing with sales associates who don't know that compensation is even a possibility.

If you own a Cayenne Hybrid allocation and are told by your SA that it's been delayed to September, please call 1-800-PORSCHE and talk to someone just to bring it to their attention. It's very early to have this conversation with PCNA, but being early can avoid confusion and discrepancies down the road.

Porsche is a great brand, they make great cars and this Cayenne e-Hybrid is the best Cayenne in my opinion, and I'm hoping for similar compensation as Panamera Hybrid customers: 3 years of maintenance and $5k additional off which can be applied to any Porsche car if we choose to drop the Cayenne Hybrid.

Lastly, I've seen a video on Instagram of a Cayenne on fire on the side of a highway in Europe. From the lights and silhouette, it is obvious that it's a 2019. More importantly, the fire is roaring in the rear of the car (mainly the trunk), where the engine is not on fire. The Cayenne e-Hybrid's battery back is in the rear. I'm in no way insinuating or saying that this can happen to us, but it's something that I think should be looked at and carefully assessed by PCNA. My wife didn't want the hybrid at first because of fire concerns and I thought that there was no way that could happen, but now I'm a little concerned. Let me know if you would like me to post the video on here.

Thank you,
ssiminou
Post it if you like but I’ll just google it myself.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:45 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm not trying to be flippant, but Porsches catching fire and burning on the side of the road is hardly news. GT3s have caught fire. So have GTs, Cayennes, Boxsters... I could go on, but you get the idea.

That being said, let's theorize positively that your video is a one-off deal. And I hope you get your money for your delays. We were originally told to expect delivery of our Turbo last summer. Then it moved to fall. Finally, winter. So we were pushed back five months or so. I never thought about asking for money, as both the company and the dealer (while nice enough) left us with the distinct impression they were doing us a favor by allowing us the privilege of handing over a check for $150K. I didn't want to push our luck.

Good luck, e-Hybriders!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Thumbs down Fire Video

Here's the video. Notice where the fire is most greatly concentrated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxj2wmoky5...essed.mp4?dl=0

Just click on the link and select "no thanks, continue" when it prompts you to sign in. RL wasn't properly uploading my video.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Out of context it is hard to know why that Cayenne is on fire.

I can understand the frustration with the delay in getting a car you want and perhaps Porsche will provide you compensation. I disagree with your statement that it is a matter of principle that it is unfair that they delayed the delivery of your car. It's frustrating, annoying, and/or disappointing for sure but delays happen. It's not as if this is the only car on the planet that you could purchase. I suspect that Porsche is not doing this on purpose as it would be better for them to sell the car as soon as they can make it.

I really wanted a new X5M when my lease ended but BMW hasn't released the new one and the old one is out of production. Under your logic, I should argue for compensation from BMW because they can't deliver a car that I want. Although I was disappointed, I looked around and ordered a Cayenne, planning for the delay in production (which was a long time). BMW lost my business, and I ended up in a great car.

I hope you get your Cayenne earlier than they estimate and more power to you if you get some compensation.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:36 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
Out of context it is hard to know why that Cayenne is on fire.

I can understand the frustration with the delay in getting a car you want and perhaps Porsche will provide you compensation. I disagree with your statement that it is a matter of principle that it is unfair that they delayed the delivery of your car. It's frustrating, annoying, and/or disappointing for sure but delays happen. It's not as if this is the only car on the planet that you could purchase. I suspect that Porsche is not doing this on purpose as it would be better for them to sell the car as soon as they can make it.

I really wanted a new X5M when my lease ended but BMW hasn't released the new one and the old one is out of production. Under your logic, I should argue for compensation from BMW because they can't deliver a car that I want. Although I was disappointed, I looked around and ordered a Cayenne, planning for the delay in production (which was a long time). BMW lost my business, and I ended up in a great car.

I hope you get your Cayenne earlier than they estimate and more power to you if you get some compensation.
Out of context it is difficult, but the post on Instagram I found this on only had one important tag: #cayennehybrid. There are four variants this person could've tagged, but the hybrid is the only one to be mentioned, and the engine isn't on fire.

Delays happen, but you would think they would get their act together after Panamera hybrid customers had to wait a year. It seems as if they haven't learned anything from it. At least they shouldn't tell us April delivery in the beginning and slowly delay down to September, or don't start taking orders yet in the first place because the cars in the first cycle will have to sit for a very long time at ports, and second cycle cars will probably hit the ports as the hybrid is cleared. I'm not arguing that they can't delivery a car I want, I'm arguing that their process and handling of the situation is flawed, and that for sticking myself to an allocation I now can't pull out from, I deserve to be compensated. Hopefully that somewhat clarify the principles for which I'm arguing.

Last edited by ssiminou; 02-22-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:10 AM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of context it is difficult, but the post on Instagram I found this on only had one tag: #cayennehybrid. There are four variants this person could've tagged, but the hybrid is the only one to be mentioned, and the engine isn't on fire.

Delays happen, but you would think they would get their act together after Panamera hybrid customers had to wait a year. It seems as if they haven't learned anything from it. At least they shouldn't tell us April delivery in the beginning and slowly delay down to September, or don't start taking orders yet in the first place because the cars in the first cycle will have to sit for a very long time at ports, and second cycle cars will probably hit the ports as the hybrid is cleared. I'm not arguing that they can't delivery a car I want, I'm arguing that their process and handling of the situation is flawed, and that for sticking myself to an allocation I now can't pull out from, I deserve to be compensated. Hopefully that somewhat clarify the principles for which I'm arguing.
I agree with what your saying. If I told a client that a project was going to be delayed a few months or even two months, they would fire me. When you’re spending serious cash, you shouldn’t have to take it up the rear because of incompetence. You are doing them a favor by buying a car, whether it’s the base or turbo model. If you upset enough customers your stock is going drop and with your declining sales. I however wouldn’t expect a lot of compensation however, but maybe they could hook you up with a loaner or throw in some nice accessories. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Here's the video. Notice where the fire is most greatly concentrated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxj2wmoky5...essed.mp4?dl=0

Just click on the link and select "no thanks, continue" when it prompts you to sign in. RL wasn't properly uploading my video.

Thanks,
Sam

well there is fire in the engine bay, and fluid not the ground. Like the GT3 fires there could have been an engine issue which dumped oil or trans fluid. Also remember the gas tank is in the rear.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:28 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Originally Posted by Todd B
well there is fire in the engine bay, and fluid not the ground. Like the GT3 fires there could have been an engine issue which dumped oil or trans fluid. Also remember the gas tank is in the rear.
That makes sense, especially with the gas tank, but the person tagging #cayennehybrid and I think #porschehybrid next to it though I can’t remember (post has been deleted and even though I dm’d the poster, I received no answer), makes me believe it’s indeed an e-Hybrid Cayenne.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It has been very hard to discover the chemistry of the new Cayenne E-Hybrid battery. There are 7 different Li-ion chemistries to choose from, all with different performance and safety characteristics. Most of the Li chemistries that are susceptible to extreme thermal runaway don't just burn, they explode. So the back half of the SUV would have a lot of damage which I don't see in this video.

In any case, I'll keep looking to find the Li type. As best as I can tell, Bosche supplied most of the electrical power components, but they stopped making batteries, so not sure if they sourced it or Porsche sourced it directly.

And yes, my E-Hybrid is scheduled for 6 September.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:13 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default I think it's a Turbo

Not sure that car is an e-Hybrid. The wheels look like Turbo-exclusive polished silver, with painted gray inserts. The car clearly has air suspension that has collapsed (not an indicator in and of itself, as it's optional across the lineup). But, I see twin horizontal light bars as the flashers, also Turbo-exclusive. And if you look really closely at the start of the video, you can see the rear spoiler is raised -- another Turbo-exclusive feature that is not available on any other model.

Anybody disagree?
Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Not sure that car is an e-Hybrid. The wheels look like Turbo-exclusive polished silver, with painted gray inserts. The car clearly has air suspension that has collapsed (not an indicator in and of itself, as it's optional across the lineup). But, I see twin horizontal light bars as the flashers, also Turbo-exclusive. And if you look really closely at the start of the video, you can see the rear spoiler is raised -- another Turbo-exclusive feature that is not available on any other model.

Anybody disagree?
I think you may be right, I didn’t think about the wheels, but the person tagging #cayennehybrid seems odd. Even if it’s another trim, fires are concerning and I wonder what happened to this car and the owner. My SA received a call from PCNA today, surprised me. We’ll see where this takes us.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:49 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,
ssiminou
FYI, i constantly phoned my SA, & her bosses, over a period of 3-4months & wrote in multiple complains with cc to the head office in UK.
Eventually, I was offered a loaner to bridge the period when they said they would deliver (April) till the new expected date (sometime in autumn).

I am ok with that, but probably would have preferred money off.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

They should just refund your deposit. I think that the US Panamera E-Hybrid customers that were getting compensated were those whose cars were sitting at port for many months awaiting EPA/CARB certification, some of whom were worried about the effects of the long periods that the battery packs were uncharged and unused. I doubt there would be that kind of compensation (3 years free maintenance, plus cash) for E-Hybrids that haven't even been built yet.

As far as E-Hybrids catching fire, the only one I'm aware of was the Panamera E-Hybrid that caught fire in Thailand about a year ago while plugged in to an outlet at somebody's house -- but there was suspicion there of a problem with the electrical wiring in the house, not in the car. After hearing about that, I was worried about having my Panamera plugged in every night in our garage (which is within our house), but after a while you just stop worrying about it -- especially not hearing any other horror stories of E-Hybrids catching fire.

My Panamera E-Hybrid has performed flawlessly (18k miles, 9 months), with no problems regarding the battery pack or electric motor whatsoever -- a delight, the best car I've ever owned. I would never consider another Panamera or Cayenne that wasn't an E-Hybrid (though in the future, I might consider an all-electric Porsche, once the long-range issues are overcome). The E-Hybrids are really a lot of fun to drive and own. I test-drove the old S E-Hybrids (with 10-kWh battery packs) -- both Panamera and Cayenne -- and was very unimpressed, but the new versions (with 14-kWh packs) are really light years better. I wonder if there's something in the design of the E-Hybrid Cayennes that was found to be a problem, and that's the reason why there's a delay, perhaps (despite the fact that the new-gen Panamera E-Hybrids have been working well and out for over a year now).
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Goldie_71
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm experiencing delays with ordering a Cayenne Hybrid consistent with the timeframes you mention. Over here in Europe, I was told this was due to meeting WLTP requirements. NB: WLTP is a whole bag of hurt of car manufacturers wishing to sell cars in Europe, and Porsche are unfortunately behind the curve on this one I'm afraid. My theory is that their focus has been piled into ramping-up Taycan production, whilst other issues have been classified as secondary to this.

Interestingly, I also learnt from my local PC recently that the delays are not solely down to WLTP. Apparently Porsche have drivetrain 'issues' with the Cayenne e-Hybrid. I happen to know that several years back they did a LOT of drivetrain testing for the e-Hybrid (and broke many prototypes in the process). However, I thought the drivetrain was all well and truly sorted, until now. I did theorise that perhaps the drivetrain issues were related to WLTP, i.e. Porsche may have tried to increase the battery capacity to give a better range (all important for WLTP), which may have put more strain on the drivetrain, and hence the issues. That was until I read that your delays in NA are consistent timeframe-wise with those over here in Europe, which leads me to believe the drivetrain issues are not related to WLTP.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread