Sponsored By:

OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 03:40 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by NPA201
Took a very short test drive of an e-hybrid today (in total it was about 5-6 miles split about evenly between local driving and highway). For basis of comparison, I currently drive a Mercedes Benz C-43 (and 75% of the time drive in sport + mode), I also drive a 2013 BMW base engine X5, and I have test driven the base cayenne (not for me as I’m looking for more power), and the S (really like this one).
  • When we started the test, we had about 8 miles of e-range. I probably drove about 2 miles on local driving driving in e-range. WE did one launch control. And then I toggled the between hybrid auto and S+. By the end of the test drive we had 4 miles of e-range left.
  • E-range is quite interesting w/ no engine noise. If you’re a normal person at a light and you don’t gun it, it probably feels fine for you. I suspect I have a lead foot and found this mode sluggish from a stop.
  • Hybrid Auto - Again from a light, it depends how much you’re flooring it but it did transition in my test drive to turn the ICE Engine on. That transition was noticeable but fine. It’s been about a year since I’ve test driven the base engine but I to me in hybrid auto it felt more like the base engine (which it is) than the S.
  • Sport and Sport + mode felt much closer to the S. No problems accelerating in my view.
  • Brakes - is it grabbier? I guess so relative to my x5 but didn’t feel that different than my C43 (to be fair, my family probably finds the brakes on that engine more aggressive).
  • Weight? Again, hard for me to judge based on the ride. I suspect only if you drive them back to back would you be able to tell the difference between the S and the Hybrid.
Overall, my conclusions are mixed to slightly positive for my needs. I would probably exclusively drive it in sport mode and so this SUV would probably meet my needs. I love the idea of getting near S performance at a cheaper price (+ federal tax credit) and it comes standard w/ sports chrono.
  • I do wonder what mile MPG will be. For point of reference I drive 80% local, 20% highway and my commute during the week is very short at about 1.5 miles each way. My car claims to have a 21/26 MPG for city/highway driving. But because of my short commute, I’ve cumulatively averaged about 14mpg!
  • Would love if those that have one could help me out on this. If I were to drive in sport mode all day in a mix of local/highway, would I use up the electric charge? Not that this happens that often but during the summers I do have a number of long weekends where I wouldn’t be able to charge the vehicle overnight and so on my drive back, will it just perform like a base cayenne (which to me would not be ideal for what I’m looking for?
  • Anybody know how the maintenance costs compare in the first few years between the S and the e-hybrid (SA said its pretty close but I wonder)? Also, how does brake pad/rotor replacement costs compare and what is the mileage interval between the e-hybrid and the S?
Thanks in advance all. I’m intrigued but my questions above leave me wondering if I should stick with the S.
I presume that you are talking about new (2019, 2020) versions of the Cayenne S and E-Hybrid? In the case of the E-Hybrid, it is very relevant, because the older version of the Cayenne E-Hybrid sucks, in my opinion. I've yet to drive a 2019/2020 Cayenne E-Hybrid, but I bought a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid last year and love it. In fact, it is so good that I'd never consider buying another 4-door Porsche unless it is an E-Hybrid. The S models are inferior in almost every way, and are more expensive, to boot. You get a $6700 federal tax credit on new Porsche E-Hybrids, and some states (like mine) give additional rebates (mine state rebate was $1000) -- which makes the E-Hybrid cheaper than the S but much more powerful, more fun, and more versatile.

The technology in the E-Hybrids is really amazing. You cannot get into it much in a short test drive of 5-6 miles -- impossible. The electric motor gives you two things, really: huge amounts of torque at low speeds and tremendous horsepower when combined with the V6 engine at all speeds; and the ability to drive it locally as an EV. For a span of 350 miles during this past May/June, I used only 3 gallons of gas in driving my Panamera daily, which was 98 mpg over that span of several weeks and which would have translated to 2200 miles on a single tank of gas if I had continued at that pace (I did not). Last year, I did a 2.5-week, 7600-mile cross-country trip in my Panamera without plugging in once, and I still averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip, and I'm not a slow driver. Pretty good for a big car. The Cayenne won't get as good gas mileage or as good electric range, simply because it is not as aerodynamically shaped as the Panamera, but it should still be decent in its ranges.

If you can plug in at home every night, an E-Hybrid can cut down on your visits to gas stations (priceless to me) quite considerably, if your local commuting is in the range 20-50 miles a day. If your commute is only 1.5 miles each way, you may go many weeks (or months) without filling up on gas -- though I have found that I just want to go out on longer drives because it's so much fun driving these vehicles. My Panamera can go up to 87 mph in E-Power only before the ICE kicks in, if you don't push the pedal to the floor too quickly.

I would not own any 4-door Porsche outside of warranty, except maybe a Macan -- but especially not an E-Hybrid. But my Panamera E-Hybrid was flawless in the first year of owning it.
The following users liked this post:
jsclarke (09-04-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:21 AM
NPA201
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I presume that you are talking about new (2019, 2020) versions of the Cayenne S and E-Hybrid? In the case of the E-Hybrid, it is very relevant, because the older version of the Cayenne E-Hybrid sucks, in my opinion. I've yet to drive a 2019/2020 Cayenne E-Hybrid, but I bought a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid last year and love it. In fact, it is so good that I'd never consider buying another 4-door Porsche unless it is an E-Hybrid. The S models are inferior in almost every way, and are more expensive, to boot. You get a $6700 federal tax credit on new Porsche E-Hybrids, and some states (like mine) give additional rebates (mine state rebate was $1000) -- which makes the E-Hybrid cheaper than the S but much more powerful, more fun, and more versatile.

The technology in the E-Hybrids is really amazing. You cannot get into it much in a short test drive of 5-6 miles -- impossible. The electric motor gives you two things, really: huge amounts of torque at low speeds and tremendous horsepower when combined with the V6 engine at all speeds; and the ability to drive it locally as an EV. For a span of 350 miles during this past May/June, I used only 3 gallons of gas in driving my Panamera daily, which was 98 mpg over that span of several weeks and which would have translated to 2200 miles on a single tank of gas if I had continued at that pace (I did not). Last year, I did a 2.5-week, 7600-mile cross-country trip in my Panamera without plugging in once, and I still averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip, and I'm not a slow driver. Pretty good for a big car. The Cayenne won't get as good gas mileage or as good electric range, simply because it is not as aerodynamically shaped as the Panamera, but it should still be decent in its ranges.

If you can plug in at home every night, an E-Hybrid can cut down on your visits to gas stations (priceless to me) quite considerably, if your local commuting is in the range 20-50 miles a day. If your commute is only 1.5 miles each way, you may go many weeks (or months) without filling up on gas -- though I have found that I just want to go out on longer drives because it's so much fun driving these vehicles. My Panamera can go up to 87 mph in E-Power only before the ICE kicks in, if you don't push the pedal to the floor too quickly.

I would not own any 4-door Porsche outside of warranty, except maybe a Macan -- but especially not an E-Hybrid. But my Panamera E-Hybrid was flawless in the first year of owning it.
Thanks for the info! Is the maintenance cycle and the cost similar in the panamera e-hybrid as the ICE panamera or is it more expensive due to the complexity while still under warranty? Any sense of regenerative brake maintenance vs regular brakes in terms of cost and schedule?
Old 09-05-2019, 03:49 AM
bwein
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Finally took delivery on my car. One question - have any info on the Active Parking assist? I ordered my Cayenne e-hybrid with the Park Assist - in the manual it goes on to also explain about the Active Parking support - vehicle finds a parking spot and parks the car autonomously. I can see a grayed out Active Park button on my console - see photos. My SA says that none of the Cayennes he has seen have this Active Parking - just the “regular” Park Assist. There was no option to build anything other than Parking Assist. Did this active parking support feature only make it to the manual but not to the vehicle?

The Active Parking support button is grayed out.

Manual section on Active parking support

Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I presume that you are talking about new (2019, 2020) versions of the Cayenne S and E-Hybrid? In the case of the E-Hybrid, it is very relevant, because the older version of the Cayenne E-Hybrid sucks, in my opinion.
You ever drive the previous version Cayenne SEH? Or maybe you are talking about the previous versions of the hybrid before 2015 where they weren't yet a plug in? I have a '16 and it's been the best vehicle I've ever had. I'm getting roughly 940+ miles per tank with gas and plug in, and roughly 14-15 miles per charge. Just plug it in at night, and good to go. 5 of us can get in along with kids sports gear, and go. I don't think the 2019/20 e-hybrid is that monumental of a shift technology wise from the prior version other than the new styling, larger capacity battery and range which I think is great, shed some weight (300lbs), and loss of the S badging/features.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m highly debating the new Cayenne hybrid as well. I keep going back and forth with that and the S version. I’m selling my wife’s 18’ Macan S on Cargurus to make way for a 3rd row but definitely getting new Cayenne in the next year
Old 09-05-2019, 03:44 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raydog9379
You ever drive the previous version Cayenne SEH? Or maybe you are talking about the previous versions of the hybrid before 2015 where they weren't yet a plug in? I have a '16 and it's been the best vehicle I've ever had. I'm getting roughly 940+ miles per tank with gas and plug in, and roughly 14-15 miles per charge. Just plug it in at night, and good to go. 5 of us can get in along with kids sports gear, and go. I don't think the 2019/20 e-hybrid is that monumental of a shift technology wise from the prior version other than the new styling, larger capacity battery and range which I think is great, shed some weight (300lbs), and loss of the S badging/features.
Yes, I test-drove a couple of ca. 2016-2017 versions of the S E-Hybrid Cayenne, and was not impressed with the range (which seemed to be well under 15 miles in all-electric mode). I think that the new 14-kwH battery pack gets about 50% more range; I bought a new-gen Panamera E-Hybrid last year and have gotten up to 25 miles on a full charge around town. I look forward to test-driving a new Cayenne E-Hybrid to see the comparison. I believe that you can get 900-1000 miles per tank of gas with local driving that doesn't go too far. Porsche said not long ago that the battery packs on their E-Hybrids should be improved by another 25% or more in 2020 (so perhaps 18 kWh), because new EU rules are forcing them to increase all-electric range.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:47 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NPA201
Thanks for the info! Is the maintenance cycle and the cost similar in the panamera e-hybrid as the ICE panamera or is it more expensive due to the complexity while still under warranty? Any sense of regenerative brake maintenance vs regular brakes in terms of cost and schedule?
The cost for my 20k-mile routine maintenance on the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid was similar to that on my 2015 Panamera 4, as I recall. Brakes are supposed to last close to 100k miles on the E-Hybrids.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 AM
BRJACKET
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I test-drove a couple of ca. 2016-2017 versions of the S E-Hybrid Cayenne, and was not impressed with the range (which seemed to be well under 15 miles in all-electric mode). I think that the new 14-kwH battery pack gets about 50% more range; I bought a new-gen Panamera E-Hybrid last year and have gotten up to 25 miles on a full charge around town. I look forward to test-driving a new Cayenne E-Hybrid to see the comparison. I believe that you can get 900-1000 miles per tank of gas with local driving that doesn't go too far. Porsche said not long ago that the battery packs on their E-Hybrids should be improved by another 25% or more in 2020 (so perhaps 18 kWh), because new EU rules are forcing them to increase all-electric range.
Would that battery change cause delivery delays due to approvals? It took a long time for the 2019’s to finally be released.still the better battery would be great.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM
GLep
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked mine up last Friday and am absolutely loving it with the one exception being problems with Porsche Connect. Some of the features don't work and some do only very sporadically. I have been on the phone with Porsche Connect Support and still have not gotten the issues resolved. Has anyone else had similar problems? Has anyone resolved the problems?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 AM
BRJACKET
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bwein
Finally took delivery on my car. One question - have any info on the Active Parking assist? I ordered my Cayenne e-hybrid with the Park Assist - in the manual it goes on to also explain about the Active Parking support - vehicle finds a parking spot and parks the car autonomously. I can see a grayed out Active Park button on my console - see photos. My SA says that none of the Cayennes he has seen have this Active Parking - just the “regular” Park Assist. There was no option to build anything other than Parking Assist. Did this active parking support feature only make it to the manual but not to the vehicle?

The Active Parking support button is grayed out.

That is interesting. I was watching a review last night on the 2019 hybrid. They mentioned that in the surround view of the back camera that a 3D panorama view similar to Audi is coming but wasn’t on their test model. I wonder if this will be a 2020 mod.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:56 PM
bwein
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRJACKET
That is interesting. I was watching a review last night on the 2019 hybrid. They mentioned that in the surround view of the back camera that a 3D panorama view similar to Audi is coming but wasn’t on their test model. I wonder if this will be a 2020 mod.
I do have the Park Assist feature with the Panorama view and 360 degrees view - 4 cameras on the 2019 e-hybrid. The Park Assist works great but you still have to do the parking. The Active Park Assist is when the car actually self parks and videos show the car even doing remote self parking while your are outside the vehicle but it doesn't seem like this more advanced version of the Park Assist is activated on the 2019 Cayenne.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 118 Posts

Can I ask why you wouldn't own a 4 door Porsche outside of warranty? I would be looking at keeping mine for around 7 years (and buying an extended warranty to cover this time) but would consider keeping longer if it is reliable.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Love it so far!

We picked up our E-Hybrid this morning. It came into the dealership last week, but they sent it out to have a full wrap and ceramic coating. LOVE it so far! We will drive it for a few weeks then send a review.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:08 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmoe01

We picked up our E-Hybrid this morning. It came into the dealership last week, but they sent it out to have a full wrap and ceramic coating. LOVE it so far! We will drive it for a few weeks then send a review.
Absolute beauty - biscay blue with deletion of the acid green highlights, calipers. The wall charger is much less bulky than i expected.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

It's been 3 days and about 400 miles. Everything works so far, no issues (knock on wood) and so far we absolutely love this thing! I'm pleasantly surprised at the overall driving dynamics (5th Porsche but the first 4 were 911's), and the PCM and features seem modern and easy to use.

Some random observations:
We went 21.5 miles before the engine kicked on, averaging 75mph. Very pleased with the range.
Charging takes about 2 hours with the 7.2kWh upgrade which makes it mid-day useful. Would buy again, no question.
The car is really noisy while charging and sometimes when starting. Like a jet engine. I assume it's battery cooling. My Tesla is silent in comparison.
I'm glad we sprung for the club leather interior, it's beautiful, well made, and makes the car feel like what it costs.
The PCM is pretty good. The nav and voice recognition are...OK.
The HUD looks great. High resolution, multi-color, useful data and the driver profiles also save the location adjustment so you nudge it wherever you want.
It bugs me that Porsche decides which PCM features I can or can't access while moving. I have a passenger wanting to type and poke, there is nothing unsafe about that. Again, the Tesla allows you to do anything at any time.
Innodrive is pretty impressive on back country roads and especially slow traffic.
The kick-open for the tailgate is useless. It works 1 time out of 5.
Glad we got rear axle steering, the small turning circle probably impressed my wife as much as anything else and it's useful every day. Would definitely buy again.
The massage seats actually work pretty well. At this point they are a novelty that I would not buy again, but I haven't done a long road trip yet so I might change my mind.
Need to figure out a use for the little covered ashtray.

We went overboard on options but we got a good discount and plan to keep this thing if it stays healthy. Buy once cry once I guess.

I ordered a wireless charging mat to install in the armrest.

This will be our main winter/ski trip car but I couldn't see paying the huge Porsche premium for winter wheels/tires that aren't even the ones I wanted and didn't like the heavy cast Tire Rack generic wheels. So I found 4 matching "front" take-off 20x9 Porsche Turbo wheels on ebay, some OE TPMS sensors at tpms.com, and the Nokian snow tires I wanted at my local installer. If I didn't screw something up and it all works out, I'll get a better set than the Porsche official ones for about the same cost as the TireRack package.
The following 3 users liked this post by User 4621:
jsclarke (09-10-2019), poolie (01-03-2021), SaintD (09-13-2019)

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Cayenne Hybrid Delay Thread