Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 PM
2011_Cayenne_S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked dealer to replace the two hydraulic valve actuators/ solenoids that are under camshaft covers.
while they are repairing the other stuff...

not sure if those solenoid are prone to fail but why not cost for parts about 500$ usd
Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Update on my car:

Stopped by the dealer to drop off my plate since the old one expired and I transferred my custom plate to the Cayenne. I should have it back Monday! They got some of the standard cam adjusters, threw those in, inspected everything (including HPFP) and performed the oil service and everything is good. They'll be running a couple more tests on it Monday morning and I should have it back in the evening! Zero cost to me, and when the recall parts are available they will be changing getting those for me.

Go figure, today I had figured I'd have this one for a few weeks and told my boss we could swap cars for a night next week. D'oh. Oh well, he'll probably be just as happy taking the quicker and comfier Cayenne. I'll be a lot more at ease with him driving my car rather than the dealer's in case something were to happen anyways.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by projekt-h
Update on my car:

Stopped by the dealer to drop off my plate since the old one expired and I transferred my custom plate to the Cayenne. I should have it back Monday! They got some of the standard cam adjusters, threw those in, inspected everything (including HPFP) and performed the oil service and everything is good. They'll be running a couple more tests on it Monday morning and I should have it back in the evening! Zero cost to me, and when the recall parts are available they will be changing getting those for me.
No reason for them to swap parts for the recall. If they replaced the Variocam adjusters - they have good bolts in them right from the factory. WC-22 consisted of doing exactly that. There are 2 revisions to the Variocam adjuster - you can tell by the part number - your "standard" cam adjuster have the revised parts in them.. Also I'm sure Porsche won't pay twice for the same repair.. especially when the 2nd one isn't needed and actually brings the risk of doing damage to the engine while it's being done.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
No reason for them to swap parts for the recall. If they replaced the Variocam adjusters - they have good bolts in them right from the factory. WC-22 consisted of doing exactly that. There are 2 revisions to the Variocam adjuster - you can tell by the part number - your "standard" cam adjuster have the revised parts in them.. Also I'm sure Porsche won't pay twice for the same repair.. especially when the 2nd one isn't needed and actually brings the risk of doing damage to the engine while it's being done.
I'll probably get low-priority if they're not wanting to do the recall parts on the service campaign replaced cars then. If they don't, then they dont... as long as my car stays healthy I'm ok with that. If they do, then they do.... and I'll try and schedule it when I'll need the oil service so they'll do that again. (Why not if they're willing)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:12 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by projekt-h
I'll probably get low-priority if they're not wanting to do the recall parts on the service campaign replaced cars then. If they don't, then they dont... as long as my car stays healthy I'm ok with that. If they do, then they do.... and I'll try and schedule it when I'll need the oil service so they'll do that again. (Why not if they're willing)
Why not? Which do you trust more - an assembly that was put together at the factory, or one that was put together at the factory and then had unnecessary disassembly done to it at a dealers by a mechanic who doesn't do this job every day? That's why not.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:01 PM
nuisance
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been talking to a dealer about a 2011, and they say the vehicle just got out of the shop Friday after having this recall done, It it possible parts are starting into the pipeline, or do I have a confused salesperson?

John
Old 11-26-2017, 03:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by nuisance
I've been talking to a dealer about a 2011, and they say the vehicle just got out of the shop Friday after having this recall done, It it possible parts are starting into the pipeline, or do I have a confused salesperson?

John
Check it yourself. You'll need a dental mirror (about $3 in any drugstore) and you have to open the hood and remove the oil filler cap (about 60 seconds total) - then use the mirror to look at the back of the Variocam and see if the bolts have a pin in the center of the torx recess. If they do - it hasn't been done. If they don't - it has been.

Easy-Peasy, and I'd never trust a salesperson unless he handed you the shop order for the work that clearly shows the bolts or Variocam adjusters were replaced (more likely the entire adjuster - per WC-22 was done, if it was done.)
Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Well, I got mine back today and everything is as it should be. 3 weeks overall. Service advisor says they have a list of people waiting for the recall parts, and I'm still on it, though at a lower priority than those who don't have the WC-22 update components. When available, I will be opting to have the recall-replacement parts installed. If anything related to it goes wrong, it will be on them. Also, should I get into an accident or have something happen to the vehicle, having an open recall on it that I opted to not have taken care of when parts were available could be viewed as negligence / a liability on my end.

Definitely no issues with the HPFP, as I hadn't noticed any elongated starts before firing. Maybe that's a sign of pending cam bolt failure? Probably not, but these are still German engines we're talking about here. We'll see how it behaves after sitting overnight and at work tomorrow.

Definitely glad to have gotten it back today, since it's supposed to be nearly 60 and sunny tomorrow.... prime biking weather and I haven't been able to ride the 3 weeks it's been down!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:21 PM
nuisance
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turned out my salesperson was mistaken and the recall had not been done.

John
Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by nuisance
Turned out my salesperson was mistaken and the recall had not been done.

John
"mistaken" in as - tell the potential buyer whatever I have to in order to move this unit off the lot and meet my monthly sales goal. Salesmen have a saying "Buyer is a liar.." that is equally true of most salesmen. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear. If you ask "Has the valve thingie recall been done on this Cayenne" - no way he's going to say "No, what valve thingie recall?". He's afraid (1) he won't appear to be a Cayenne expert since he hasn't a clue on the recall (2) you'll walk because you don't want the bother of a recall with no implementation date from Porsche (yes - it's only been about 6 months now, and they still claim not to have parts..) I'm guessing you asked about seeing the work order? Or walked mirror in hand into the dealership?

If I sound cynical - look at my sig. Almost all of those vehicles were bought from salesmen (and one or two saleswomen).. and the number that didn't lie to me can be counted on one hand.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At this point, does Porsche plan to do anything proactively or are they going to go case by case kaboom scenarios ?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
At this point, does Porsche plan to do anything proactively or are they going to go case by case kaboom scenarios ?
I don't think anyone here knows anything - but the recall REQUIRES Porsche to fix the problem. They don't have an option to just fix ones that go kaboom. You might try calling them and asking? If enough people started doing that maybe they'd get the message that there are some pissed off owners out here (and they likely don't really care..)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

I am one of many on this thread that is waiting for the call from the dealer to bring it in for the recall.

Recently I ordered up parts to knock out the 80k major service AND made the decision to replace the remaining 7 of 8 coil packs since one recently failed. I also order the coil pack screws since the workshop instructions call for new ones. I got my coil packs but the screws, 948.105.146.00 were not available " These screws have been temporally blocked by Porsche Cars North America, and are unavailable at this time. " per my supplier's parts rep. Being the curious person that I am, I looked at the parts list from the WC-22 campaign which is the earlier campaign. Sure enough, those screws are on the list.

So my conclusion is that Porsche is starting to build the kits for the recall and provide larger kits for the engine remans and sustain the production line. The WC-22 parts list is not small.

Their corporate profit focus just bit them in the A$$ and they should step forward with some goodwill...warranty our motors for 24-36 months from date of new motor or recall installation (screws, or camshaft adjusters in their entirety). Sometimes you have to build back brand loyalty the old fashioned way, put some of your future profits at risk for a period of time.

Are you listening Porsche North America?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by CAVU
Are you listening Porsche North America?
JR - interesting thread over in 991 GT3 land: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ouncement.html

Porsche did issue an extended warranty for those engines that apparently suffer from poor quality control on the valve train mechanical bits. They warranted the engines for 10 years/120,000 miles. Any that explode during the warranty will be replaced with new engines (with newly designed valve train components.)

So it's possible - but I would have thought we'd be receiving a letter stating the same if they intended to do that for those of us who have (or had) the explody V8 engines. Might be a good thing to do with transfer cases, and engines where the cylinder bore is damaged. But I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably be going through Atlanta in a week or so - in the Cayenne - maybe I'll stop by corporate headquarters and ask in person..
Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

At this point it would just be nice to finally get the darn letter from PNA! I've been on my dealers 'wait list' since AH08 was announced, but their hands are tied until the letters get issued (and parts are available, etc.). This is getting a little ridiculous. By the time this finally gets addressed, I might be moving on to my next vehicle.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts