Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 02:57 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 911
My thoughts exactly. I'd like to have the paperwork on everything to put with the other records of this car, I wasn't given anything when I left since the SA was busy with someone else.
I’d drop a line to PCNA, just to let them know. I am sure this goes on all day every day. Secondly, I’d call another reputable Porsche service department manager I.e. Gaudin, Marin, Suncoast, etc..,and ask them for advice on how to approach it and try that route. They will probably deny or act like a mistake or something small.

I am a small business owner and I would not be happy if any of my employees did this. Some owners could not care less as long as there is money coming in. But I am a small business and there is a reason why I am small business.

You should let the owner know.

Last edited by dc1225; 11-10-2020 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 911 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

I think I'll check with the GM of the dealer first. At the minimum, I would think I owe the dealership that in case it is an isolated incident. I really hope it isn't widespread practice, but you never know. I can only imagine those with the "special" cars that get them serviced with an open checkbook if it is a standard practice. No telling how much it would add up to in a year's time.

Anyway, no doubt that this TC is brand new. Quite the sight actually if you enjoy looking at new parts

Last edited by Steve 911; 11-10-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:46 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm sure the gm knows exactly what goes on in his dealership. I'm guessing their goal is to make money on any car that comes in. I can't imagine him not knowing what goes on.
The following 2 users liked this post by twodollardoug:
dc1225 (11-10-2020), Steve 911 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 03:50 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I'm sure the gm knows exactly what goes on in his dealership. I'm guessing their goal is to make money on any car that comes in. I can't imagine him not knowing what goes on.
Bingo. If they get caught, “oh, it’s a mistake”. Oneoff doesn’t happen anymore. The world has been around too long.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:51 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

I think I'll check with the GM of the dealer first. At the minimum, I would think I owe the dealership that in case it is an isolated incident. I really hope it isn't widespread practice, but you never know. I can only imagine those with the "special" cars that get them serviced with an open checkbook if it is a standard practice. No telling how much it would add up to in a year's time.

Anyway, no doubt that this TC is brand new. Quite the site actually if you enjoy looking at new parts

looks cleaner than my dinner plate. Please let us know what happens. What excuses could they possibly come up with? Pants are down, go get’em tiger!
Steve 911 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 10:52 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

Just had mine done, but not officially. For background, I have 94k miles and started feeling like I was running over expansion joints or reflectors. Noticed it started getting worse so I scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Dropped it off, received a loaner and a few days later I received a call stating that my transfer case actually wasn't the problem but my driveshaft was as the central bearing had worn out. Was told it wasn't that bad and "only $2400 to fix" which I immediately declined. When declined I was told I was going to end up on the side of the road but I said that I was ok with that. The reason I would decline such a repair is that I can easily order the parts and do it myself if that turned out to be the problem and I had some doubt in the first place and wanted to investigate it myself.

On the way home I noticed the car drove fine; however, I was still a little annoyed that it wasn't the transfer case as it seemed to be a sure thing so I didn't think much of it. Decided to get under the car once it cooled off to check the driveshaft and see if there was any play that could cause this type of behavior because it just seemed unlikely to me. As soon as I got under there, the thread locker on the drain/fill plugs caught my eye as it was obviously brand new. When I shined the light on the transfer case the entire thing looked brand new. My immediate thought was maybe they cleaned the old one with brake cleaner or something; however, I found a stamp on it that was half worn off, but it clearly stated 2020 on it.

I don't know if this is normal practice, but it seems pretty dishonest to me. If they had simply recommended that the driveshaft be done it would be one thing, but being told that the transfer case wasn't the issue and something else was seems like they were trying to scam me out of an additional repair. Should I bring this up with the dealer or just let it go? I'm not going to name them, but it really left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't see myself going back there, not that I would for service anyway as I like to DIY, but still.
Sounds strange. You didn't get an invoice stating the work that was performed (including the transfer case replacement)?? What work did you sign off for them to do, when dropping off the car?
Old 11-11-2020, 09:29 AM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Tell us the dealer.....Bad players need to be called out....I live in AZ ....
Old 11-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Originally Posted by garrett376
Sounds strange. You didn't get an invoice stating the work that was performed (including the transfer case replacement)?? What work did you sign off for them to do, when dropping off the car?
I dropped off the car with transfer case symptoms and asked for it to be diagnosed and repaired if covered by warranty.

I still haven't received any paperwork on anything done or recommended services. Normally, I would receive something that said services were recommended but declined by the customer, wouldn't I?
Old 11-11-2020, 01:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

I dropped off the car with transfer case symptoms and asked for it to be diagnosed and repaired if covered by warranty.

I still haven't received any paperwork on anything done or recommended services. Normally, I would receive something that said services were recommended but declined by the customer, wouldn't I?
I'd certainly ask for the service receipt. Even on warranty issues a full work order is done up - has to be to get Porsche to pay for it.

One possibility that MIGHT explain the new case - you described a specific fault that you felt. That description matched the transfer case descriptions well enough that they replaced the case. They may have then road-tested the vehicle and felt the complaint you had was still evident, and their best next guess as to the cause is the rear driveshaft. So they suggested that to you.

I suspect a copy of the work/order-receipt would tell the story. I would be asking them why you never received one, and I'd go there and ask rather than phone or email (giving them time to dummy one up) - they should be able to pull it up on their computer and instantly print out a copy for you.
Steve 911 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:05 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
How are you charging the Taycan are you a current EV owner?
I didn't use it enough to need a charge. They gave it to me with 199 miles to go and I gave it back with about 125.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:12 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyway, no doubt that this TC is brand new. Quite the sight actually if you enjoy looking at new parts

Oh wow. Replace the case and not tell you? Or hand you the paper on it? That's shocking. Even if as Don suggests they still "felt" there was another issue for which they could get into your pocket.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:47 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd certainly ask for the service receipt. Even on warranty issues a full work order is done up - has to be to get Porsche to pay for it.

One possibility that MIGHT explain the new case - you described a specific fault that you felt. That description matched the transfer case descriptions well enough that they replaced the case. They may have then road-tested the vehicle and felt the complaint you had was still evident, and their best next guess as to the cause is the rear driveshaft. So they suggested that to you.

I suspect a copy of the work/order-receipt would tell the story. I would be asking them why you never received one, and I'd go there and ask rather than phone or email (giving them time to dummy one up) - they should be able to pull it up on their computer and instantly print out a copy for you.
I received an email asking for good feedback when the survey comes from Porsche, so I replied that it may be difficult since I never received anything when I left. The SA then sent me a report of $8500 of service they recommended but nothing on what was done. I replied and asked for some info on the transfer case and he ignored me. I think you’re right, I need to either stop by there or just explain it all in the survey when it comes.

I changed my oil today since I turned down their offer to do it for $569.24. When I was poking around with my scanner to reset the oil interval I looked at the transfer case ECU and it clearly shows a manufacture date of June 3, 2020.

This whole thing is just bizarre.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:28 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

It is bizarre...
Old 11-17-2020, 02:41 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 140 Posts

I picked up my little piggy last week with new transfer case, may have been a good idea to torque all the bolts?

Old 11-17-2020, 02:49 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

That's terrible. Good thing you happened to look.

Quick Reply: Transfer case