Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Drove the car from Louisiana to New Jersey. Experiencing some binding in 2nd gear now. Looks like I will be needing my bottle of fluid soon. 2014 base with 29k miles.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread is really helpful... thanks everyone. I changed my fluid with Ravenol and friction modifier today. The only problem I ran into was when the tube didn't pull out of the bottle like it's supposed to. I had to grab it with needle-nosed pliers and pull it out. When you pull the bottle top up it should look like this. Take the top off and you're ready to fill.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:48 AM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my Cayenne Turbo 2014 the Transfer Case was changed in January 2017 at 38000 km. The replacement was 958341010HX including the ventilation modification IT3965.
Was replaced again yesterday at 60000 km with 958341011JX. Is this one any better or we have to take into account that the transfer case has to be changed every 30000 km or 2-3 years ?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by aigle836
... or we have to take into account that the transfer case has to be changed every 30000 km or 2-3 years ?
Dang, I sure hope that is not the case. If mine does it again I'll be looking for something else
Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 PM
MDTXCA
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So, mines a 2015 CS at 36K miles.

I noticed for the past month a skipping and rubbing like issue on the tires, I thought it'll smooth itself out, but it is not going away. Feeling of going over very small speed bumps or slipping tires in short repetition in low speeds.

Now reading this thread today, I think my transfer case has gone bad. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership as it is under warranty. I will bring up transfer case knowledge and update you guys.

I just want to make sure what kind of feeling a bad transfer case feels like. What I described is a bad transfer case?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:58 PM
diamond-back
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTXCA
So, mines a 2015 CS at 36K miles.

I noticed for the past month a skipping and rubbing like issue on the tires, I thought it'll smooth itself out, but it is not going away. Feeling of going over very small speed bumps or slipping tires in short repetition in low speeds.

Now reading this thread today, I think my transfer case has gone bad. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership as it is under warranty. I will bring up transfer case knowledge and update you guys.

I just want to make sure what kind of feeling a bad transfer case feels like. What I described is a bad transfer case?
When under acceleration, you'll feel a shuttering/slipping feel. Unrelated to speed bumps... with PASM, I do feel some occasional odd feelings (small pop) with speedbumps but it is minor. The shudder/shutter -ing from the transfer case occurs consistently with smooth pavement and consistent acceleration. Very repeatable.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Your description sounds very similar to the symptoms I had on my transfer case (2016 CS) - I did a fluid change with friction modifier on it (as discussed earlier in this thread), and symptoms disappeared. Been roughly a thousand miles since then and still seems to be OK.

If under warranty, let them replace it, but would recommend relatively frequent fluid changes (every other oil change or so) after that to preserve your next transfer case.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM
MDTXCA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dbonds
Your description sounds very similar to the symptoms I had on my transfer case (2016 CS) - I did a fluid change with friction modifier on it (as discussed earlier in this thread), and symptoms disappeared. Been roughly a thousand miles since then and still seems to be OK.

If under warranty, let them replace it, but would recommend relatively frequent fluid changes (every other oil change or so) after that to preserve your next transfer case.
They are going to replace the transfer case. Indeed, I will be doing fluid changes for sure.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:07 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

So...tried to drop off the new ride at trusty Indy today for preventative TC maintenance but they were slammed and he needed to order the transfer case fluid anyway. He called Hilton Head Porsche where he gets his parts, he called me back and told me that HH Porsche said they have had NINE cayenne transfer case replacements this year. I would imagine that is not a very big volume dealer either.

He also told him they had no service guidance for changing out fluid and if mine was bad to "just get a new transfer case". He said they have not had one come back with the "new" TC (assuming relocated vent and shield).

He was interested to hear we were doing it as preventative maintenance and told Patrick (trusty Indy) he wants to know in the next few years if we avoid the issue...they do not do that, they wait until they fail and then replace them for 4 grand a pop. They don't even touch them, drain anything, open them up, etc, they just order them and replace them and ship the old one back. Are they remanufacturing them?

He did say it was moisture contamination, which I think we all know by now.

btw, the new ride (2016 GTS) is off the charts awesome.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM
MDTXCA
Intermediate

They are going to replace the transfer case. Indeed, I will be doing fluid changes for sure.
To close out my saga, got the CTT back and only took half a day. Surprisingly fast turnaround. Drives normal, smooth, no more shudder and more power!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:07 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I am the first and only owner of one of the very first 2011 Cayenne's delivered .. Had the shudder on acceleration. Did not realize it was transfer case issue until I stumbled here and exchanged a few PMs with Don Eilenberger. Thanks to his advice and collective wisdom here I spent $100 to change the TC fluid before the dealer recommended $4800 fix that included parts and labor for a new TC. Now 1000 miles after fluid change my Cayenne has had none of the issues related to the TC. So I am guessing even though my TC is old non-vented design it seems to be fine. …. at least for now. How long ?? who knows.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread was really helpful - I observed the same symptom of "going over very small speed bumps" as the transmission switched between gears 3/4/5 especially after the transmission has warmed up (could recreate problem more easily after driving 30mins+ compared to a cold start). But for this thread I may have put it as just normal wear/quirks but given my CPO runs out in a few months, this could have proven costly later on! Dealer confirmed a transfer case issue today and hopefully putting in a replacement next week... (i hope its the newer stock with GNC plates...)

As i began digging into the problem I found a couple of interesting 'manufacturer communications' on the Cayenne on the NHTSA site:
1) The initial bulletin seemed to indicate what many of users have posted earlier about the modified vents.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...20786-9999.pdf (if the link does not work, search for the number MC-10120786-9999 on Google)

Looks like Porsche instructed all the dealer inventory of existing transfer cases be modified for better venting to protect against moisture penetration. That may be one issue that was addressed. But many of the posts on this forum mention vehicles operated in drier climates and with some posting oil test results showing no moisture damage but still reporting transfer case problems..

2) The second bulletin of interest is more recent (Sep 26, 2018) and of more interest and may answer this point:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45566-9999.pdf (if the link does not work, search for the number MC-10145566-9999 on Google)
Especially the line : "Only modified transfer cases with GNC-coated plates are supplied from now on"

Not sure what a GNC specifically stands for but I would suspect any coatings to plates are usually done to improve friction/grip or make them more resistant to wear - so looks like the modified transfer cases mentioned by this bulletin may provide better hope. Has anyone replaced their transfer case recently and had a new one with GNC plates installed?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:04 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Lightbulb See post # 46

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...1#post15910571
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2nd Failed TC-2015 Diesel

Just heard from dealer that they ordered 2nd tc due to failure. Last one was done in October and about 15k miles ago. I have 52k total miles.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Transfer Case

Originally Posted by kari
This thread was really helpful - I observed the same symptom of "going over very small speed bumps" as the transmission switched between gears 3/4/5 especially after the transmission has warmed up (could recreate problem more easily after driving 30mins+ compared to a cold start). But for this thread I may have put it as just normal wear/quirks but given my CPO runs out in a few months, this could have proven costly later on! Dealer confirmed a transfer case issue today and hopefully putting in a replacement next week... (i hope its the newer stock with GNC plates...)

As i began digging into the problem I found a couple of interesting 'manufacturer communications' on the Cayenne on the NHTSA site:
1) The initial bulletin seemed to indicate what many of users have posted earlier about the modified vents.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...20786-9999.pdf (if the link does not work, search for the number MC-10120786-9999 on Google)

Looks like Porsche instructed all the dealer inventory of existing transfer cases be modified for better venting to protect against moisture penetration. That may be one issue that was addressed. But many of the posts on this forum mention vehicles operated in drier climates and with some posting oil test results showing no moisture damage but still reporting transfer case problems..

2) The second bulletin of interest is more recent (Sep 26, 2018) and of more interest and may answer this point:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45566-9999.pdf (if the link does not work, search for the number MC-10145566-9999 on Google)
Especially the line : "Only modified transfer cases with GNC-coated plates are supplied from now on"

Not sure what a GNC specifically stands for but I would suspect any coatings to plates are usually done to improve friction/grip or make them more resistant to wear - so looks like the modified transfer cases mentioned by this bulletin may provide better hope. Has anyone replaced their transfer case recently and had a new one with GNC plates installed?
Got my 2014 Cayenne back - service advisor confirmed that they installed the latest version of transfer case for the base model and the vent line as well: Transfer case Porsche part number 958-341-011-LX
I checked the system information using icarsoft - Hardware part number is 0C2927755T and software version is 1150 - so looks like I got the new transfer case with the GNC coated plates mentioned in the manufacturer communication MC-10145566-9999.pdf. Fingers crossed that this resolves the issue...

Quick Reply: Transfer case