Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 10:25 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FredRS92
My answers to your questions:

1: Yes
2: Yes, E-Charge mode shuts off automatically when the battery is filled.
3: Yes, the electric range decreases significantly with low temp.
4: Don't know! never experienced such issue.
Thanks!

RE: #4, I took to the dealer for a couple of minor fit/finish adjustments and talked to the Tech about this.

He said he has seen it twice. Caused by a weak GPS signal, perhaps because Seattle is so far north. And since the car was indoors for 4-5 hours with the electrical circuit “on” several times the unit got “lost” from the satellites and got confused.

He said it shouldn’t be a problem in every day use.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:46 AM
FredRS92
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a workshop manual for our Cayenne or all is on the PIWIS?

Thanks!

Last edited by FredRS92; 12-19-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:29 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Question Yet another question for eHybrid owners

Yes I know, yet another question for you eHybrid owners. Unfortunately my Cayenne has been delayed into the future as it threw an error warning while the dealership was moving it from detailing to their pickup area. Some sensor (tranny or transfer case IIRC) failed and as it has to come from Germany who knows when it will show up. More Porsche unobtanium, which I though I was done with by getting into a 2016. The dealer has been good and my internet sales rep gets huge kudos.They probably hate my *** since I got some concessions on giving me a swag bag, other goodies and a nice discount on a ClearBra set-up. Probably at their cost but a over a third less than my local ClearBra franchise. Plus they are delivering it on their dime.

But I digress. My question is about chargers. Do you carry the Porsche charger kit in the Cayenne or just leave it at home? The electrical company rep is coming out Monday (hopefully as they have had to cancel last week) and I need to figure out if I want a hard wire install or plug. If you carry the charge kit in the Cayenne do you have a permanent charging set-up in your garage? What brand/model are you using? Okay so I lied - more than one question LOL. Thanks for looking.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:06 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Yes I know, yet another question for you eHybrid owners. Unfortunately my Cayenne has been delayed into the future as it threw an error warning while the dealership was moving it from detailing to their pickup area. Some sensor (tranny or transfer case IIRC) failed and as it has to come from Germany who knows when it will show up. More Porsche unobtanium, which I though I was done with by getting into a 2016. The dealer has been good and my internet sales rep gets huge kudos.They probably hate my *** since I got some concessions on giving me a swag bag, other goodies and a nice discount on a ClearBra set-up. Probably at their cost but a over a third less than my local ClearBra franchise. Plus they are delivering it on their dime.

But I digress. My question is about chargers. Do you carry the Porsche charger kit in the Cayenne or just leave it at home? The electrical company rep is coming out Monday (hopefully as they have had to cancel last week) and I need to figure out if I want a hard wire install or plug. If you carry the charge kit in the Cayenne do you have a permanent charging set-up in your garage? What brand/model are you using? Okay so I lied - more than one question LOL. Thanks for looking.
We have permanently installed the Porsche charger that comes with the car on our garage. When we are away we use a public charger if it has a compatible cable (at times some hotels lend us a cable). Some other times there are parking spots reserved for BEV or plug-in hybrids but they do not provide the cable –in those cases we just park elsewhere on a non-EV spot. We have thought of buying a cable, and we may end up doing so, but for the time being we don’t see a compelling economic benefit to do so due to the small battery size on our S e-hybrid.

Last edited by ABusLux; 12-31-2019 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tom Servo (01-08-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 09:18 AM
craig001
Drifting

Thanks for the reply. Sadly Saint Louis seems to be EV Charger challenged. It's why I decided against a Tesla Model X. Got a big shock from my first bid on running 220 to my garage - $4975, Gulp.

Last edited by craig001; 01-03-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:58 PM
MJ23
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's steep. San Jose was half that with a new breaker box added for the new circuit.
TheronOmega (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2020, 02:06 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Thanks for the reply. Sadly Saint Louis seems to be EV Charger challenged. It's why I decided against a Tesla Model X. Got a big shock from my first bid on running 220 to my garage - $4975, Gulp.
I would look at craigslist for a licensed electrician or Angie's list. To install mine cost me $250

Ben
Bassman37 (02-03-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 08:46 AM
craig001
Drifting

Well I am getting other bids. issues are installing 75 foot of underground line, reconfiguring house box as the surge protector breaker is $450 by itself and is pretty much a must have IMHO. Asked about a whole house GFI but was told a 200 amp mains breaker is $2k. Additionally since my house a a couple of years shy of century house status the garage electrics need updated to meet current code. Sign. It is always something. On the bright side - delivery tentatively slated for January 9. Fingers crossed for no snow.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:11 AM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cabin Preconditioning?

2016, Supplement to Owner's Manual says cabin preconditioning can be set when departure times are set. I can set my departure timers ok, but preconditioning option isn't there. Manual wording seems to indicate this feature is standard. Am I missing something? Can anyone shed some light with this? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Tom Servo
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought preconditioning was a Porsche Car Connect feature...?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:15 PM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not specified in the manual. Preconditioning is included in the section with setting departure timer. Coincidentally, I did see Car Connect in the car grey out.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:29 PM
Gonzotiki_666
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oh god I pulled the trigger. I pick up my 2017 CPO tomorrow

I’m in between a state of thrill and panic attacks about finally getting a modern Porsche. It’s a black on black very gently used SEH. I’ve been DDing a Honda CrossTour for about a decade and decided that I needed a much sweeter ride to shuttle me around the Bay Area. I’ve had a 928 as my “fun car” for about eight years as well so I obviously enjoy the quirk factor. Any advice for a new SEH Cayenne owner? Judging by the test drives, it’s a GD rocket. Any maintenance pitfalls to watch out for etc?
Tom Servo (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Tom Servo
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Gonzotiki_666 I've had my '17 CPO for only 2 weeks, so no maintenance info to give out. But I'm right there with you. As a BMW guy since I was about 10 years old, I was floored when I drove my brother-in-law's '19 non-hybrid Cayenne over Christmas break. Everything BMW should have been doing over the past 10+ years was wrapped up into this incredible ride. So I shopped around a bit and landed on pretty much the same car that you did.

Get a 240v drop in to your garage. That's my #1 piece of advice. Otherwise it takes just too dang long at 120v to charge up such a small battery pack. And hopefully your CPO has the 7.2kw on-board charging capacity. Mine doesn't, so even at 240v I'm still waiting upwards of 3 hours for a full charge.

The three things my CPO *doesn't* have that I wish it did: 7.2kw charge capacity, Active Cruise Control, and Air Suspension. Of those three I think 7.2kw will be most missed.

Congrats!
Gonzotiki_666 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 05:20 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my licensed electrician (who was the lead guy when we built our home 3 years ago) install a 240V line and I wall-mounted the charger. I mis-read the Charger Manual and told him to bring a 50 Amp breaker, when it turns out that all it needed is 30 Amp. He shrugged and said no problem, the charger won't draw more than it needs.

HOWEVER, the bonus discovery is that at 50 Amps/240V, I can charge the fully depleted battery in less than 90 minutes! That permits me to quickly re-charge if I use the car in the morning, park & re-plug and then go out again the same afternoon (I'm retired, so no commuting and typical trips are 8-15 miles).

The 240V was installed on December 14th. I filled the car up on the 15th, have driven it 640 miles so far and still have 3/8 tank of gas.
The following 4 users liked this post by TTCarrera:
Bassman37 (10-25-2021), Gonzotiki_666 (01-31-2020), Onesunnybeach (11-30-2023), Tom Servo (01-16-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:03 AM
Gonzotiki_666
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Servo
@Gonzotiki_666 I've had my '17 CPO for only 2 weeks, so no maintenance info to give out. But I'm right there with you. As a BMW guy since I was about 10 years old, I was floored when I drove my brother-in-law's '19 non-hybrid Cayenne over Christmas break. Everything BMW should have been doing over the past 10+ years was wrapped up into this incredible ride. So I shopped around a bit and landed on pretty much the same car that you did.

Get a 240v drop in to your garage. That's my #1 piece of advice. Otherwise it takes just too dang long at 120v to charge up such a small battery pack. And hopefully your CPO has the 7.2kw on-board charging capacity. Mine doesn't, so even at 240v I'm still waiting upwards of 3 hours for a full charge.

The three things my CPO *doesn't* have that I wish it did: 7.2kw charge capacity, Active Cruise Control, and Air Suspension. Of those three I think 7.2kw will be most missed.

Congrats!
Yo! I’ve had my SEH for almost a month now. Thank you for your comments. I ended up with an amazing 2017 CPO with three years of Porsche warranty. It’s black on black. My commute is a bit longer than most in this thread and here’s my thoughts about ownership experience thus far:
-It’s an amazing piece of kit. For such a heavy car it is really capable and it’s such a bonus to finally be able to pass the Prius camped out in the left lane!
-the seats are amazingly comfy
​​​​​​-the transition from electric to ICE is usually smooth BUT not always. I was frankly hoping for a more seamless experience but it’s not always the case. There’s a bit of jerkiness.
-the transmission is pretty fickle. I’m not really that impressed frankly. In traffic (I’m in the Bay Area —it’s a fact of life) there is that aforementioned jerkiness. It wants to be in second gear a lot of the time in stop and go and it’ll tend to buck around especially when the ICE is kicking in and out. It’s just not as seamless as I hoped it’d be.
-I honestly wish the all electric range was further. Like I mentioned before, my commute is typically longer at about 50 miles each way. I love that the first half I get about 40+ miles per gallon. But not having a plug-in at my random work destination cuts into the hybrid efficiency and almost makes it more of a gimmick. Of course I kinda knew this going in (hybrid tech helped sell the car to the spouse &#128540.
-It’s for the 7.2Kw charger, so I’m gonna get 240 installed in the garage this year for a 90 minute refill on the electrons.
Final thought: God I love it. Every time I drive it is like it’s my birthday. Yay me!!
The following 4 users liked this post by Gonzotiki_666:
Bassman37 (10-25-2021), Onesunnybeach (11-30-2023), TheronOmega (01-05-2024), Tom Servo (01-31-2020)

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread