Sponsored By:

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 12:24 PM
A40d
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nydog
Hello all. I'm looking at a 2014 Cayenne S Hybrid with 83k miles and wanted to get an idea of reliability as well as potential issues. I will be going to drive the vehicle this coming week so any info is greatly appreciated
I just hit 200,000 km (~124,000 miles) on my 2017 S e-hybrid and I still love it. Had an issue with the secondary air injection system which will eventually happen on all these engines as a result of carbon build up, but that happens in the Audis that also use this engine and nothing to do with hybrid system. Needs to be cleaned with special tools and isn't cheap. I've never had an issue with the hybrid system. Others have. Can be prohibitively expensive to fix or replace the battery if something goes wrong. I don't want to get rid of the car at all but trading for a 2021 e-hybrid as the cost of potentiall issues worry me.
The following 2 users liked this post by A40d:
vasiis 958 (02-06-2024), yv92 (05-01-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:24 PM
Darkalley36
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

So just starting to research this thread…… I just bought a place in Panama 🇵🇦 and have been looking at cars. A friend is moving back to Canada and has a 2015 Cayanne S E-Hybrid w 35k miles. 100% maintained by the dealer. In Panama for $1800 a year I can get an OEM bumper to bumper warranty (excluding maintenance) until 2030!

they recently replaced the rear brake system, battery and door panel (the leather was peeling).

The car here as an fyi is $30k. It’s either that or a new Kia Sportage 😂

car is in amazing shape inside and out. Seems like the warranty at $1800 a month is money well spent. I plan on doing about 4k miles per year here. Thoughts ?
Old 07-17-2023, 04:21 AM
NoMoney4Porsches
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mate, I strongly believe this particular car is now for sale in my country and I would like to know if its the exact same one. https://en.bidfax.info/porsche/cayen...xgla18322.html

Please get in touch with me so I can know more about this car as I want to purchase it.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:23 AM
NoMoney4Porsches
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo959
Guys, My wife's Cayenne S e-hybrid got flood damaged from Hurricane Ida... I am trying to come up with a replacement... i am coming up empty. Looking for a Black 958.2 with Air suspension and 12-way power seats as minimum options. Please help a fellow Porschephile!!

Flood Damaged from Hurricane Ida....was at a detail shop as a surprise for my wife , we just had two new babies!!!

Flood Damaged from Hurricane Ida (water went above the rearview mirrors)

Thank you,
Ben
Hello mate, I strongly believe this particular car is now for sale in my country and I would like to know if its the exact same one. https://en.bidfax.info/porsche/cayen...xgla18322.html

Please get in touch with me so I can know more about this car as I want to purchase it.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:22 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a 2008 CTT that I used as my tow vehicle. Bore Scoring caught up to me last year and I replaced it with a F250 diesel for primary towing.

My wife has a 2015 Panamera S E-Hybrid which we love. I have a VOLVO XC90 that's long in the tooth as the pet hauler.

Considering getting back into a Cayenne and going the Hybrid route as my daily -- and pet hauler. Wanted to know what years are the sweet spot for electric only mileage and how are they as tow vehicles (if I move on from the F250 Diesel, or consider it for limited trips), I have a 24' enclosed aluminum trailer.

Last edited by txhokie4life; 07-18-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:11 AM
Onesunnybeach
Cruisin'

Default Silver Sport Exhaust System

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo959
Hello Everyone, I just finished reading through this discussion...and I hope to add to it with my input, observations, and comments.

6 months ago, my wife and I bought a 2016 SEH (Cayenne S e-Hybrid, for those that did not figure that out...I was one of "those").

I laugh every time I see this car with a wire going into it! A PLUG-in PORSCHE!!

The Particulars:
2016 Cayenne S e-Hybrid
18-way Adaptive Sport Seats
21" SportEdition Wheels
Sport Package (PJL Option);
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Air Suspension w/PASM
  • Silver Sport Exhaust System
After test driving different models, Turbo, Turbo-S, GTS, we agreed on the SEH. The GTS was a close second. My Wife would use the car as her daily driver and needed something to replace our Audi Q7 with. With the Audi, she would need to fill up 2x per week. Now? She goes 1x per week (and the tank is smaller than the Q7! 21.1 gal vs. 26.4 for the Q7)

18-way Adaptive Sport Seats: what can I say about this feature? Absolutely awesome! Multiple adjustments, Ventilation, Lateral Bolster. It is a must-have IMHO.

Stylish, Comfortable, Supportive 18-way adjustment

Many, Many adjustments

Ventilated seats....OOH!!!))))

Air Suspension w/PASM: We test drove cars with and without this system. We had something similar on our previous Q7. What we liked about the Q7 was when you lowered the car, the suspension would stiffen. This is a great feature. The Porsche does this as well, but you can also adjust the valve dampening. Our car also came with the "Sport Plus" option.

Air Suspension, Sport Plus, Shock Dampening

Interestingly, when you hit the "Sport Plus" Button, not only does it Advance the Timing, but also changes the shifting points and puts the batteries on "standby" boost mode. In addition, with the Air-Suspension option, it puts the car into the lowest position, stiffens the suspension valving, ... It is something I really enjoy about this car. It is like the car goes into battle mode. My wife and I went back and forth on this option...she loved it, but it made our car search close to impossible. Would I get this option again? Maybe. Her? Definitely. I plan on lowering the suspension and giving it a more aggressive alignment, maybe then I will be convinced?

"Issues" with the SEH:
Issue 1: I agree with mudman2, the "brakes suck" yes they do... please do not try to convince me otherwise. I do not need to get into my car and have the added shock that the car is not stopping because its tech tells it to regenerate electricity for the battery. This is crazy... it's like an extra challenge to my drive. My solutions so far: (1) double down shift while braking.... the first downshift puts it into a "sport" regenerative braking system (it is the same feeling when you hit the sport button.. it uses the electric motor as an engine brake). (2) do not drive in e-power if you are in the type of traffic that is panic stop and go. (3) move your seat a bit closer to the brake pedal then what you are used to... that way, you are "on top of the brake pedal". This trick was taught to me by my race instructor and is effective for every car. (4) change brake pads? Change the braking system? The SEH brakes are smaller than the GTS and the Turbo/Turbo-s. I am looking into Brake pads, and/or Brake Calipers/Rotors.

Issue 2: Starting off in the car in the morning in e-power, it really does not want to move... I think that e-power is suited for highway speeds (under 80 of course by then the system shuts off). So what I do, is start with "e-power" off...and then when I make it to the highway, I put it into e-power

Issue 3: Hazard button. This is a big issue for me, I use this to warn drivers behind me I am slowing down, its bad enough that people do not pay attention to what's going on in front of them... worse still that our hazard lights and brake lights do double duty. (If you hit your brake lights... and then you push your hazard button...the brake lights in the rear flash, just like 70's and 80's Cadillacs). The location of the Hazard button is asinine (see photo below). Was the Porsche engineer on vacation when he decided to put the hazard button under the radio in front of other similarly-shaped buttons? This is such a stupid location! I have hit the hill descent and the front defroster several times instead of pushing the hazard button. My solution: I am moving the button!

Stupid location for hazard button!

Issue 4: Dealers never charge your car when they have it in for service. Or when you arrange a test drive. Here, I am in agreement with mightytaco "Unfortunately, they forgot to charge the battery when I picked it up and will definitely agree that they would generate way more sales if they kept these things fully charged!". We nearly did not buy this car because we went to four different dealers (after making an appointment) and came to find the car had no charge whatsoever. I would love to see how they manage with an entire fleet of Taycans when they cannot manage this now for the few hybrids they have.

Issue 5: Where is the Damn spare? Don't get me started on this... I posted elsewhere on this matter. Solution: (if anyone can tell me the part numbers) would be to get Porsche's spare tire installed in the cargo area. But again, no one seems to know these part #'s

Spare Tire, Mount, and Cover

Issue 6: this car has no sound....what was I expecting? I don't know... but it is very..very quiet. Solution: To Be Continued...

Issue 7: I can't find any information about the tech on this car, how to drive it... what changes with fuel economy if you push "Sport" or "Sport Plus", how the braking behavior changes with the same button...etc...etc... The most information I found regarding this matter comes from a post above from waynelam83 thank you!!

Issue 8: The steering feel. The electric steering rack does not have the same feeling as a hydraulic one. When it is cold, or when the car has been sitting for a while, you can detect the "choppiness" of the electric steering rack, it does not have that "linear" feeling that you get from a hydraulic steering rack. I have no solution for this one.

Issue 9: The rearview camera seems to collect water droplets very effectively, thereby blocking its ability to work in the rain. I am going to put something hydrophobic like rainX on it and see if that helps.

That's it for now.

-Ben
Hi Ben,

Great write up. You mentioned
  • Silver Sport Exhaust System

​​​​​as part of the sports package (DJL), is this just an optical thing or does it also change the sound of the exhaust system? Thanks
Old 02-01-2024, 03:34 AM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there any documentation for the normal battery discharge behavior of a 958.2 SEH? It seems like the charge indicator in the lower left portion of the gauge cluster gives a different impression of battery percentage than the digital e-range indicator in the MFD. Does it keep some percentage (~20%?) in reserve for hybrid driving when e-range goes to zero miles?
Old 02-05-2024, 04:27 PM
Malmenator
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, gauge on left side accounts for reserve/buffer for normal hybrid use. Sometimes the reserve amount will be used up if you use a lot of auxiliary power when the car isn't in motion. This should eventually kick the ICE motor back on and charge it up itself.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:34 PM
vasiis 958
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A40d
I just hit 200,000 km (~124,000 miles) on my 2017 S e-hybrid and I still love it. Had an issue with the secondary air injection system which will eventually happen on all these engines as a result of carbon build up, but that happens in the Audis that also use this engine and nothing to do with hybrid system. Needs to be cleaned with special tools and isn't cheap. I've never had an issue with the hybrid system. Others have. Can be prohibitively expensive to fix or replace the battery if something goes wrong. I don't want to get rid of the car at all but trading for a 2021 e-hybrid as the cost of potentiall issues worry me.
Hi guys!
I just hit 170000klm and my mechanic said that must be clean the engine from the carbon that built up which is the common problem at the Audis engine. He said that must the engine has to get out to do this and it’s expensive repair.
Has someone else done this clean?
Thank you
Old 03-02-2024, 07:19 AM
brunerune
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing 12v battery

Don’t know if this has been a topic before, but..

Just a little heads up to people replacing the 12v battery from OEM to a bigger one. Just replaced the battery for the first time since new to a H15 Varta AGM 105Ah 950A monster. It fitted in the well, but the positive cable was too short. Had to make my own.

Got it coded in icarsoft BMS afterwards without any issues.

Old battery

New - showing a positive cable short by an inch

New cable

New cable (18 inches 1/0 AWG / 55mm2)

Last edited by brunerune; 03-02-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:57 AM
xrtdr
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A40d
I've got a 2016 SE Hybrid now at 118,000 miles. Same as you, I love the car although it does drive heavy. I'm wondering how much battery remains as I now get about 10-11 miles per charge. Do I pay for new brakes and tires or get something new maybe (don't judge) an electrified GV70 prestige?

Would love to hear who else has aging SE Hybrids and their experience.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:56 PM
pab77777
2nd Gear

Default Buying 14 year old cayenne s hybrid?

Should I consider this car? I'm guessing the hybrid battery will have to be replaced at a great expense. Should I keep looking?
Old 05-01-2024, 12:11 AM
mwaku
AutoX

Has anyone installed an exhaust?

The few videos i've seen on youtube, they sound awful -- super loud and droney (sounds like an exhaust on a 2L 4cyl)

there's one or two that don't sound bad, but wanted to see or hear more experiences with e hybrids and having an exhaust (obviously when the engine is running/driving)
Old 05-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Questionmillenn
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What rear differential fluid do you guys put in your vehicle? I've been getting conflicting information whether it's 75w90 (non-slip), or MDL from Ravenol (limited slip). I have no idea where to get that information. It's not in the owner's manual and I even tried my VIN to see if I can get my information from that. It also seems like the E-Hybrid might be different from the other models.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:32 PM
Questionmillenn
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pab77777
Should I consider this car? I'm guessing the hybrid battery will have to be replaced at a great expense. Should I keep looking?
Yes, great expense if it fails, but you're good if you're under warranty. Just make sure that if for any reason the mechanics/dealership has to take the battery out of your car, that they take great care of it and it doesn't stay out for longer than a couple of weeks. I found out that Atlanta Perimeter left my battery out for a number of weeks to over a month and when they put it back in, it was discharged. This is not good practice and mechanics at other Porsche dealerships were furious when they found out what they did.

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread