Sponsored By:

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 AM
FredRS92
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all,
My feedback (Platinium CSeH bought new in Oct. 2017): now 30.000km with an average of 8,5L/100km (50/50 highway/city). Average battery range: 20km depending outside temp and using airco or not.
I plug in every night and even more on week-end (thanks to the 7,2kW inboard fast charger which is really a must, fully loaded in less than 1 hour 30').
First service done last October at Porsche Center Brussels (+- 500€) around 25.000km.
No issue, no failure alert.

One question for the pro's: is the big battery the only one in the car or is there also a regular battery as well?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:31 AM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FredRS92
Hi all,
My feedback (Platinium CSeH bought new in Oct. 2017): now 30.000km with an average of 8,5L/100km (50/50 highway/city). Average battery range: 20km depending outside temp and using airco or not.
I plug in every night and even more on week-end (thanks to the 7,2kW inboard fast charger which is really a must, fully loaded in less than 1 hour 30').
First service done last October at Porsche Center Brussels (+- 500€) around 25.000km.
No issue, no failure alert.

One question for the pro's: is the big battery the only one in the car or is there also a regular battery as well?
There is also regular 12V battery inside.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM
PCSE-Hybrid
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello to everyone in the forums! The posts and topics here were very helpful in our purchase decision. We’re the proud owners of a flawless condition, perfectly maintained Carrera White Metallic 2015 E-Hybrid with 31K miles. We just had the oil and brake fluid changed along with new spark plugs. This is our first Porsche and so far we’re amazed. Longtime BMW owners here. Excited!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 PM
MJ23
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the info on the Hybrid, I just took ownership of a Meteor Grey CPO 2016 with 32K. Really great car, I moved up from a 2005 Cayenne S with 156K miles. Have to set up a charge plug for the garage and get a travel charger. Any suggestions?

Getting cleaned up for delivery!!
The following users liked this post:
ChristiaanT (02-26-2021)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 PM
PCSE-Hybrid
AutoX

MJ23, we bought this system and had it professionally installed. We’re very happy with it, including its app. Btw the Porsche Car Connect app has very useful features exclusive to the E-Hybrid as well. Our dealer didn’t charge anything to activate it for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CV8KVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CV8KVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Btw what is your maximum range indicated after a full charge? Our 2015 is only 12 miles which is fine for in town errands. I’ve seen 13 once or twice.... It’s rare to see the engine come on, which is a minor concern.

LOVE our Cayenne and I’m sure you will too! Congrats!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 PM
MGC 911
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PCSE-Hybrid
MJ23, we bought this system and had it professionally installed. We’re very happy with it, including its app. Btw the Porsche Car Connect app has very useful features exclusive to the E-Hybrid as well. Our dealer didn’t charge anything to activate it for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Btw what is your maximum range indicated after a full charge? Our 2015 is only 12 miles which is fine for in town errands. I’ve seen 13 once or twice.... It’s rare to see the engine come on, which is a minor concern.

i just ordered this system today. Should be in this weekend and installed early next week.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM
MJ23
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PCSE-Hybrid

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, mine came with the Porsche standard Lvl 2 charger. I just need a plug put in the garage for it and get something to carry on the road since I don't think we can use the high capacity DC chargers.
I'll try out the Car Connect app, thanks for the recommendation. My max range is showing 12, that's what was displayed from delivery, that's the highest is been at by using the E-charge button. Will the plug in charger give more range, charge to a higher capacity or is it an efficiency of use that gives the range?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:52 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ23
My max range is showing 12, that's what was displayed from delivery, that's the highest is been at by using the E-charge button. Will the plug in charger give more range, charge to a higher capacity or is it an efficiency of use that gives the range?
In my experience from the last two years, it is efficiency of use, and the last actual e-drive efficiency (including factors that affect range such as temperature) drives the calculation of the range available for the next recharge.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:07 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello Everyone, I just finished reading through this discussion...and I hope to add to it with my input, observations, and comments.

6 months ago, my wife and I bought a 2016 SEH (Cayenne S e-Hybrid, for those that did not figure that out...I was one of "those").

I laugh every time I see this car with a wire going into it! A PLUG-in PORSCHE!!

The Particulars:
2016 Cayenne S e-Hybrid
18-way Adaptive Sport Seats
21" SportEdition Wheels
Sport Package (PJL Option);
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Air Suspension w/PASM
  • Silver Sport Exhaust System
After test driving different models, Turbo, Turbo-S, GTS, we agreed on the SEH. The GTS was a close second. My Wife would use the car as her daily driver and needed something to replace our Audi Q7 with. With the Audi, she would need to fill up 2x per week. Now? She goes 1x per week (and the tank is smaller than the Q7! 21.1 gal vs. 26.4 for the Q7)

18-way Adaptive Sport Seats: what can I say about this feature? Absolutely awesome! Multiple adjustments, Ventilation, Lateral Bolster. It is a must-have IMHO.

Stylish, Comfortable, Supportive 18-way adjustment

Many, Many adjustments

Ventilated seats....OOH!!!))))

Air Suspension w/PASM: We test drove cars with and without this system. We had something similar on our previous Q7. What we liked about the Q7 was when you lowered the car, the suspension would stiffen. This is a great feature. The Porsche does this as well, but you can also adjust the valve dampening. Our car also came with the "Sport Plus" option.

Air Suspension, Sport Plus, Shock Dampening

Interestingly, when you hit the "Sport Plus" Button, not only does it Advance the Timing, but also changes the shifting points and puts the batteries on "standby" boost mode. In addition, with the Air-Suspension option, it puts the car into the lowest position, stiffens the suspension valving, ... It is something I really enjoy about this car. It is like the car goes into battle mode. My wife and I went back and forth on this option...she loved it, but it made our car search close to impossible. Would I get this option again? Maybe. Her? Definitely. I plan on lowering the suspension and giving it a more aggressive alignment, maybe then I will be convinced?

"Issues" with the SEH:
Issue 1: I agree with mudman2, the "brakes suck" yes they do... please do not try to convince me otherwise. I do not need to get into my car and have the added shock that the car is not stopping because its tech tells it to regenerate electricity for the battery. This is crazy... it's like an extra challenge to my drive. My solutions so far: (1) double down shift while braking.... the first downshift puts it into a "sport" regenerative braking system (it is the same feeling when you hit the sport button.. it uses the electric motor as an engine brake). (2) do not drive in e-power if you are in the type of traffic that is panic stop and go. (3) move your seat a bit closer to the brake pedal then what you are used to... that way, you are "on top of the brake pedal". This trick was taught to me by my race instructor and is effective for every car. (4) change brake pads? Change the braking system? The SEH brakes are smaller than the GTS and the Turbo/Turbo-s. I am looking into Brake pads, and/or Brake Calipers/Rotors.

Issue 2: Starting off in the car in the morning in e-power, it really does not want to move... I think that e-power is suited for highway speeds (under 80 of course by then the system shuts off). So what I do, is start with "e-power" off...and then when I make it to the highway, I put it into e-power

Issue 3: Hazard button. This is a big issue for me, I use this to warn drivers behind me I am slowing down, its bad enough that people do not pay attention to what's going on in front of them... worse still that our hazard lights and brake lights do double duty. (If you hit your brake lights... and then you push your hazard button...the brake lights in the rear flash, just like 70's and 80's Cadillacs). The location of the Hazard button is asinine (see photo below). Was the Porsche engineer on vacation when he decided to put the hazard button under the radio in front of other similarly-shaped buttons? This is such a stupid location! I have hit the hill descent and the front defroster several times instead of pushing the hazard button. My solution: I am moving the button!

Stupid location for hazard button!

Issue 4: Dealers never charge your car when they have it in for service. Or when you arrange a test drive. Here, I am in agreement with mightytaco "Unfortunately, they forgot to charge the battery when I picked it up and will definitely agree that they would generate way more sales if they kept these things fully charged!". We nearly did not buy this car because we went to four different dealers (after making an appointment) and came to find the car had no charge whatsoever. I would love to see how they manage with an entire fleet of Taycans when they cannot manage this now for the few hybrids they have.

Issue 5: Where is the Damn spare? Don't get me started on this... I posted elsewhere on this matter. Solution: (if anyone can tell me the part numbers) would be to get Porsche's spare tire installed in the cargo area. But again, no one seems to know these part #'s

Spare Tire, Mount, and Cover

Issue 6: this car has no sound....what was I expecting? I don't know... but it is very..very quiet. Solution: To Be Continued...

Issue 7: I can't find any information about the tech on this car, how to drive it... what changes with fuel economy if you push "Sport" or "Sport Plus", how the braking behavior changes with the same button...etc...etc... The most information I found regarding this matter comes from a post above from waynelam83 thank you!!

Issue 8: The steering feel. The electric steering rack does not have the same feeling as a hydraulic one. When it is cold, or when the car has been sitting for a while, you can detect the "choppiness" of the electric steering rack, it does not have that "linear" feeling that you get from a hydraulic steering rack. I have no solution for this one.

Issue 9: The rearview camera seems to collect water droplets very effectively, thereby blocking its ability to work in the rain. I am going to put something hydrophobic like rainX on it and see if that helps.

That's it for now.

-Ben

Last edited by TwinTurbo959; 05-15-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: adding more issues
The following users liked this post:
Onesunnybeach (01-27-2024)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:25 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

intrigued but confused even after reading this thread and using the google machine. I really have one question:

All else fails, can you not even mess with charging it, leave it off, and you have a slightly faster cayenne with crappier brakes and steering?

Or if you don't charge it does it cause problems across the board?

We are in the market and there are a ton of well priced 2016/2017 SEHs right now.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
I really have one question:

All else fails, can you not even mess with charging it, leave it off, and you have a slightly faster cayenne with crappier brakes and steering?
You do not need to charge the car, but your battery operation will be reduced. The system keeps a reserve of battery power for the instance you need the "boost" from the battery... I have never depleted this completely, and I think the car is programmed to regeneratively-charge this back to "minimum" levels while driving.

So, you do not have to charge it. You will not be able to activate the e-power system, you will, however, see 1-2 bars of electric power left for "reserve" duties.

-Ben
Old 07-01-2019, 12:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Errors

I am sure I am not the only one to have Misc Generator Failure Park Safely Error, well last night sh$$ got real. Drive from PA to Newark Airport (EWR) to pick up international arrivals. Left the house with Full Charge, and Full Tank, all was well.

After picking them up got back in car and started ( turned on) Got the Generator Error. Hit CAR on PCM and it told me all was well, charging was indeed happening and the power flows matched the settings. Cannot see any dash display when you have this error , it cannot be dismissed. I assumed usual ghost message.

About 3 miles from home I turned off fast road to head to home. Chassis Warning Light comes on, Ride Height seemed high with NO SUSPENSION, felt like I was running on tall rubber blocks. Dash lighting up likes its 4th July already, I creep home with infant asleep in back, very hash ride. Height control on center was flashing.

I get to my street and literally 50 yds from my driveway steering and brakes failed, I coasted to a stop on the road but could not turn the wheel. Unloaded car, got kid and adults into the house, Called Roadside Assist, was answered swiftly and the first thing I was asked was "are you and your family OK" then I explained. The nice lady said a flatbed would be sent to take to dealership (11PM Sunday night) I said ok, got a text from her telling me tow truck details and contact number. I removed personal stuff from car then had a large GT. about 20 mins later I went out to check for anything I may have forgotten and to wait for tow truck.

I sat in the car and put key in to get more light, all the errors had cleared and the car would start so I gently back up and drove into driveway. Call the tow truck to wave him off and parked up till the am.

I left with full charge this am, Oil and Check Engine lights on and solid, called the dealer in Conshy and drove down there, they now have the car and frankly I am not sure I want it back right now, got a Macan loaner and resumed my life.

Sorry for the long post but things could have gone terribly wrong was I still on the highway when this all happened.

Anyone match this ?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:58 PM
PCSE-Hybrid
AutoX

Ours is a 2015 with 33K miles and so far we’ve never had any errors. Please let us know what the dealer reports?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:48 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

See my post #146. But in our case the car would just shut down without a warning. Thankfully it must be over a year that we have no problem whatsoever with the car, except sometimes cameras not working if we engage reverse too quickly after starting the car.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer still has mine, Porsche authorized a replacement Hybrid control unit, and if this does not work a complete new battery but because of shipping batteries it will take about a month to get from Germany. So everyone seems to be at a loss to explain the large number of errors in the logs. I will keep you informed on progress. its a 2017 with around 30K miles by the way.

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread