The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire rotation

Hi All,

I got my '15 S E-Hybrid in mid May. I put about 4000 miles on it since I owned. I feel like that tire rotation is in order from my experience with other cars.

Does anyone know about tire rotation?
I could not find any information on the manual regarding tire rotation.
As you know, S E-Hybrid requires significantly different pressure for front wheels (38 psi) and rear wheels (46 psi). This makes me wonder if it is safe to rotate the tire since I feel that stretched tires (rear tires) at 46 psi would create undesirable effects when inflated at a lower pressure.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have rotated my tires (michelin lattitude sport 3 N1) every ~6Kmi since I purchased the vehicle in March 2016. I do the criss-cross rotation which swaps the front driver wheel to the rear passenger position since the tread pattern is asymmetrical.

The key thing to watch out for is that tread depths are all within 1-2mm of eachother to avoid stressing the differentials
Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Thanks, Chiapet15.

Can I ask the name of tire shop?

Thanks

Originally Posted by chiapet15
I have rotated my tires (michelin lattitude sport 3 N1) every ~6Kmi since I purchased the vehicle in March 2016. I do the criss-cross rotation which swaps the front driver wheel to the rear passenger position since the tread pattern is asymmetrical.

The key thing to watch out for is that tread depths are all within 1-2mm of eachother to avoid stressing the differentials
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Originally Posted by mynextcar
Thanks, Chiapet15.

Is the criss-cross rotation a recommendation from a dealer?
Or can I ask the name of tire shop?

Thanks
This wasn't based on any recommendations from a dealer. It was just based on my previous experience, and I instructed this tire shop to perform the balance and rotation: https://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-innovations-milpitas

From the perspective of the asymmetrical tires I have on my car, as long as the tread depth is consistent across them, it shouldn't matter which corner they are at. The pressure difference between the front and rear shouldn't cause any size change/warpage since it's still within operating spec of the tire. To be sure, you can simply measure the inner and outer total diameter of the tire, and the tire width at a few areas
Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the guidance!!!

Originally Posted by chiapet15
This wasn't based on any recommendations from a dealer. It was just based on my previous experience, and I instructed this tire shop to perform the balance and rotation: https://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-innovations-milpitas

From the perspective of the asymmetrical tires I have on my car, as long as the tread depth is consistent across them, it shouldn't matter which corner they are at. The pressure difference between the front and rear shouldn't cause any size change/warpage since it's still within operating spec of the tire. To be sure, you can simply measure the inner and outer total diameter of the tire, and the tire width at a few areas
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM
ckelly14
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proud parent of a (almost) new 2017 e-hybrid.

Interested in adding a dedicated wall charger to my garage.

These are universal, correct? I don't necessarily need the Porsche charger, right?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:56 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

You can use any wall EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) that has a J1772 plug to plug into the cayenne. The charger itself is onboard the car and charges at either 3.6kw or 7.2kw (fast charger build option)

If i weren't using the EVSE from porsche that came with the car, I would purchase one of these:
Amazon Amazon

They are having a sale ($100 off) through 9/17/2017 to celebrate National Drive Electric Week
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM
ckelly14
AutoX

Thank you.

I am adding a 220 V outlet to the garage and I'll probably just use the included charger for now. Anyone use the bracket that came with the charger? There is a piece included that I just can't figure out. I didn't see any instructions but I did buy the car used...
Old 10-09-2017, 10:43 AM
sixtosune
Instructor

Default Fresh from the Factory

So a little over 2 months after putting the order in, received my first plug-in Porsche. (I figure whenever I get sick of the green attitude thing, I can always go burn some serious fossil fuel on my 2010 GT3).

I went for the Russian Mobster all-black w / black 21" wheels on the outside, and the Black / Cohiba leather interior. I am happy to say the end product worked pretty well for me (though no affiliation to any Russian Mobster..).

I picked it up at the Porsche dealer, drove it straight to the detailer, for a new car detail and a Xpel front-end + bikini cut on hood. Picked it up 3 anxious days later (the anxiety was however well soothed by a kind loan from Porsche of a new 911 turbo).

Here's some pics, for those potentially interested in these 21" Sport Classic Wheels and the Cohiba Interior. Fresh out of its new car detail 3 days after delivery, now properly detailled and Xpel protected

Name:  Detail Ready 1 Sept 25.jpg
Views: 4111
Size:  206.5 KB

Name:  Detail Ready 2 Sept 25.jpg
Views: 4064
Size:  179.2 KB

The Interior color combination came out even better than I expected. I find this to be my favorite color combination any Porsche Interior I've seen or had. The alcantara headliner is sort of a ripoff, but it does add a level of quality to the overall feel of the interior. The alcantara wheel does a great job for me, since I'm so used to the one on my GT3.
Name:  Porsche Showroom 2 Sept 22.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  182.1 KB

Getting finishing touches next to an Italian detailee
Name:  Detail Ready 5 Sept 25.jpg
Views: 4134
Size:  149.7 KB
Old 10-20-2017, 03:52 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Default When e-power mode becomes off

Today, I got 2016 S E-hybrid loaner when my 2015 S E-hybrid was in a warranty work.

The behavior of 2016 when the e-power mode is off by reaching 20% of battery charge level is different from my 2015.

When e-power mode is off by reaching 20% level, my 2015 drains battery level to 10% or less than 10%.
However, 2016 stays at 20% level.

Also I found that 2016 recovers more during cruising and regenerative braking than my 2015.

I feel like the motor/generator unit of my car is failing. This seems like the symptom of an electric motor whose coils become magnetized.

However, the service advisor of the dealer told me that Porsche upgrades their vehicles every year and this is the improvement of 2016 over 2015.

As far as I know, Porsche outsources the hybrid system to Aisin, and Cayenne S E-Hybrid uses the same HR-10F for 2015-2017.

Could you share your experiences regarding this?
The following users liked this post:
DublinLad (05-22-2021)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 PM
pburt03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Thank you.

I am adding a 220 V outlet to the garage and I'll probably just use the included charger for now. Anyone use the bracket that came with the charger? There is a piece included that I just can't figure out. I didn't see any instructions but I did buy the car used...

To which bracket are you referring? There's the gray plate/bracket to mount to the wall, and the black spacer to be used as needed. If memory serves, there are 4 mounting points in the silver plate, and then the main box just bolts into that.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 PM
OmbryAmbry
AutoX

I don't have a Cayenne, I actually have a 2013 Panamera S Hybrid which has the same engine and TipTronic S as the Cayenne.

I come to Porsche from BMW and Mercedes. Both of these cars allow you to "reset" the transmissions in the sport settings so they will shift at more preferred variables.

Is there a way to do so on my Panamera S Hybrid with TipTronic S transmission?

I have the Porsche driver's package, so I don't need to insert the key into the transmission.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mynextcar
The behavior of 2016 when the e-power mode is off by reaching 20% of battery charge level is different from my 2015.

When e-power mode is off by reaching 20% level, my 2015 drains battery level to 10% or less than 10%.
However, 2016 stays at 20% level.

Also I found that 2016 recovers more during cruising and regenerative braking than my 2015.

I feel like the motor/generator unit of my car is failing. This seems like the symptom of an electric motor whose coils become magnetized.

However, the service advisor of the dealer told me that Porsche upgrades their vehicles every year and this is the improvement of 2016 over 2015.

As far as I know, Porsche outsources the hybrid system to Aisin, and Cayenne S E-Hybrid uses the same HR-10F for 2015-2017.

Could you share your experiences regarding this?
My 2016's behaviour varies depending on the weather tbh...

I can suck it down to zero battery on the mechanical gauge and if I am gentle on the throttle in traffic it will still keep the engine off for quite a while.

It also depends on my rolling speed. If the car is going over 30 mph the ICE will kick in below 20% sometimes even with gentle throttle use.

Regeneration to about 25% is super fast. Slower after that.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone else noticed that when the ICE has just started up (going through whatever warm up cycle it has) it will sometimes stick at 2500 - 3000 rpm even when just rolling with no throttle input. Gentle throttle input draws from the battery and the ICE RPM remains static.

This is not the normal idle position, and never happens with an engine start when first getting into the car... only after driving for a while, in Electric Mode but the ICE staying on.

Just seems a bit odd. Wondered if others had seen the same, or if I have some borked settings.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:42 AM
mynextcar
Intermediate

It behaves like that when the ICE starts following electric mode.
If ICE starts for the first time, ICE keeps running like you described until the coolant and engine oil warms up. During this period, about 10% of battery power seems to be used, which leads to almost 0% level.

Originally Posted by thescratt
Has anyone else noticed that when the ICE has just started up (going through whatever warm up cycle it has) it will sometimes stick at 2500 - 3000 rpm even when just rolling with no throttle input. Gentle throttle input draws from the battery and the ICE RPM remains static.

This is not the normal idle position, and never happens with an engine start when first getting into the car... only after driving for a while, in Electric Mode but the ICE staying on.

Just seems a bit odd. Wondered if others had seen the same, or if I have some borked settings.

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread