Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem with a buyback if it's the value of my ride last September and I also get additional compensation. Everyone's situation is different. I have 90k on my Touareg TDI Exec...been a flawless ride. By the time this is settled, I'll have 110k on the clock.

If owned a Cayenne, maybe I would feel differently but I just don't care much what happens. If my Touareg had 15k and it was fairly new, I would likely have a different view, too.

But damn, the TDI is hands-down the best daily driver I've owned. Not even close.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Personally I couldn't give a crap about "clean" diesel. Anyone who is all wadded up over that should've gotten a hybrid or electric to begin with. This phony outrage all over these boards is just another example of how ridiculous our society has become. Boo freaking hoo. You take a risk buying a car, nobody has any clue what resale value will be down the road.

Not trying to be a Porsche fanboy, they screwed up. But everyone here crying about resale and buyback and pollution is just trying to be opportunistic in an effort to get a new car.

As someone who drives a lot of miles, I wanted the mpg and the long travel range between fills. So far I'm thrilled. I'll be upset if they try to take my CD away!

NSShadow {0, -1} color = {(null)}
tomorrow I'll know exactly what the dealer trade in value is for my CD and if its fair, I'm crying and sure I want another car
Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
But damn, the TDI is hands-down the best daily driver I've owned. Not even close.
This is my problem with a potential buy back. What the hell do I replace it with?

I also had no intent to look to sell it for another 6 years or so. So while depreciation is generally not something I care about, now I care about it a whole lot if it essentially going to be forced to get rid of it (assumption being that the fix significantly degrades it in relation to the reasons I purchased it).

So losing ~30k in a buy back deal and leaving me in a hole (not under water, but not having had 5+ years of socking away "car payments") to start over from is really not cool in my book...
Old 08-29-2016, 03:48 PM
docdent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I couldn't give a crap about "clean" diesel. Anyone who is all wadded up over that should've gotten a hybrid or electric to begin with. This phony outrage all over these boards is just another example of how ridiculous our society has become. Boo freaking hoo. You take a risk buying a car, nobody has any clue what resale value will be down the road.

Not trying to be a Porsche fanboy, they screwed up. But everyone here crying about resale and buyback and pollution is just trying to be opportunistic in an effort to get a new car.

As someone who drives a lot of miles, I wanted the mpg and the long travel range between fills. So far I'm thrilled. I'll be upset if they try to take my CD away!

NSShadow {0, -1} color = {(null)}
The problem is not clean diesel. It is the fact they marketed the vehicle as that and it was an outright lie. So, due to their lies our vehicles' value has dropped more than it would otherwise.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
This is my problem with a potential buy back. What the hell do I replace it with?

I also had no intent to look to sell it for another 6 years or so. So while depreciation is generally not something I care about, now I care about it a whole lot if it essentially going to be forced to get rid of it (assumption being that the fix significantly degrades it in relation to the reasons I purchased it).

So losing ~30k in a buy back deal and leaving me in a hole (not under water, but not having had 5+ years of socking away "car payments") to start over from is really not cool in my book...
To use a modern statement " I feel your pain" as I am retired and my wife and I each drive a diesel Cayenne and are totally happy with the vehicles and the plan was to keep them for the long haul .... Right now after over a year of this I just want a solution whatever it ends up being, I know it will be painful for owners like me.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

In Reply to disden,

"Personally I couldn't give a crap about "clean" diesel. Anyone who is all wadded up over that should've gotten a hybrid or electric to begin with. This phony outrage all over these boards is just another example of how ridiculous our society has become. Boo freaking hoo. You take a risk buying a car, nobody has any clue what resale value will be down the road.

As someone who drives a lot of miles, I wanted the mpg and the long travel range between fills. So far I'm thrilled. I'll be upset if they try to take my CD away!"

So I was not going to respond but you made me.

Here we go:

You immediately made people aware that you have no clue what you are talking about and the level of frustration people have with VW by calling it a "phony outrage". This claim is as non-sense as it gets.

- So you loose thousands of dollars of the resale value of your vehicle "JUST BECAUSE VW SCREWED UP" and this is of no consequnce to you?

- You have been waiting for an outcome for all this ordeal for months but VW has been dragging its feet, rather than coming up with an acceptable solution,inorder to just try to compensate as little as possible, and this is not at all a problem for you?

- So all this mess is due to "what ridiculous the society - in this case owners - has become"

- And you think this is an "opportunistic move" by the owners but what VW did to capture market share by fraud was not?

That makes me understand why you have to defend yourself as "I am not a fanboy" because all the above sure makes you sound like one.

When you are an adult, you have the obligation to bear the consequences of your deeds/wrong doings. And in this case it is not owners that are responsible. It is the company who wants to get away with it.
The actual evidence what "ridiculous the society has became" is actually not seeing that.

Furthermore this is a misrepresantation and is created as a distraction:
"As someone who drives a lot of miles, I wanted the mpg and the long travel range between fills. So far I'm thrilled. I'll be upset if they try to take my CD away!"

We are talking about is an OPTION for the owners to have a buyback from the company. Just like what Tdi owners got. VW worries about it because it will cost them a lot of money. And you are worried about it.... why exactly?

The remainder of people who wants to keep their vehicles should have the opportunity to be a beta tester for a "compliacted fix" (not my words, VW lawyers words). NOBODY is against it and it is obivious. But you are trying to make it sound like that. I do not know why.

But it sure sounds like a fanboy when you frame people with words like "opportunistic" or "ridiculous" who is looking for a fair deal, or an option for a deal that you do not want to pursue. You have no right to deny them that.

If you want to see an "opportunist" in this discussion, look no further then VW in this issue.

This type of remarks where people want to hang on their vehicles for the reason of X and Y is a disservice for the people who does not want to be a beta tester for the "complicated fix". You might have all your resons to keep your car, but do not be ignorant to a huge group of people who does not want to drive a car that has to go under a revision. What is the motive to deny this option for them?

Calling them opportunists and ignoring the big elephant/real opportunist in the room is insulting, and do make you sound like fanboy.

Last edited by Dr Cayenne; 08-29-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by illtww
im pretty sure what is funnier will be finding affordable parts for these cars later on down the line... since vw/Porsche will say F the US.

There is no way for a company with the ambitions of coming words biggest manufacturer (which happened for a brief period BTW) will say "F the US" as it is still the second biggest market in the world.

That would be like shooting your own leg intentionally.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:11 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

Dr Cayenne-- more like "Ambulance Chaser Cayenne". All legal gobbly gook; only lawyers and people with pitiful empty lives can get this verbose and angry over such a trivial matter. I'm out enjoying my CD. Spending time with my family traveling. Not sitting at home venting.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Dr Cayenne-- more like "Ambulance Chaser Cayenne". All legal gobbly gook; only lawyers and people with pitiful empty lives can get this verbose and angry over such a trivial matter. I'm out enjoying my CD. Spending time with my family traveling. Not sitting at home venting.

Ad hominem continues. Initially it was "opportunist", "ridiculous", "irresponsible". Now "ambulance chasers" and "pitiful lives". I am absolutely sure you are "enjoying your life" as you claim. Tell me is driving your car traveling with family is the biggest accomplishment you have in your life?

I pity you.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

Don't need your pity. I deal with death and illness on a daily basis, so I just can't get too worked up and angry about such a trivial thing as losing a few hypothetical dollars on an SUV. I hope you get whatever it is you are venting so profusely about, cash is what your after I assume. Life is too short to be so bitter and angry.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

"I deal with death and illness on a daily basis" -> possibly our only common point....maybe except owning a CD.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:27 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't need your pity. I deal with death and illness on a daily basis, so I just can't get too worked up and angry about such a trivial thing as losing a few hypothetical dollars on an SUV. I hope you get whatever it is you are venting so profusely about, cash is what your after I assume. Life is too short to be so bitter and angry.

It's nice that you have enough money that 5 digits do not mean anything to you. 5 digits means something to me. That's a lot of hours not being with my family and/or doing things I want to do as I am at work.

The point I was trying to make is that Porsche is just sitting here quietly. No communications for a very long time. While I love my Cayenne and am actively considering purchasing a Macan, I am pissed that they have been so quiet.

You seriously sound like my rabid PCA "friends".
Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 AM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't need your pity. I deal with death and illness on a daily basis, so I just can't get too worked up and angry about such a trivial thing as losing a few hypothetical dollars on an SUV. I hope you get whatever it is you are venting so profusely about, cash is what your after I assume. Life is too short to be so bitter and angry. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Life is short right, thats why we need this problem resolved asap, I'm 34 and don't want to be waiting a few more years

a few bucks are important to me
Old 08-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Most people given the opportunity do not want to have their cars fixed. Few wants to be a beta tester for a complicated fix that has not been tried before. Even for a Tdi Jetta (let alone an $85K Cayenne) :

[https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ine&yptr=yahoo
Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexaqui
The point I was trying to make is that Porsche is just sitting here quietly. No communications for a very long time.
There's no communication because Judge Breyer has a gag order. It will stay quiet until it is lifted.

Also, it is premature to think you will not be compensated fairly one way or another.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue