Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 AM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this helps. I have a 2013 Cayenne diesel and absolutely love it. I'm not freaking out as I planned to drive it until the wheels fall off. With that said, a drop in value or attempt to change its tuning doesn't sit well with me. My SA sent me this
last week: "Just received an update on cayenne diesels. You should have nothing to worry about. Porsche did the voluntary stop sale while they got EPA sorted out. The software uses extra add blue while the engine warms up. This is not a cheat device. Porsche told EPA about this in 2013. It is all documented. They should have it cleared up end of month."
Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dhud
I don't know if this helps. I have a 2013 Cayenne diesel and absolutely love it. I'm not freaking out as I planned to drive it until the wheels fall off. With that said, a drop in value or attempt to change its tuning doesn't sit well with me. My SA sent me this
last week: "Just received an update on cayenne diesels. You should have nothing to worry about. Porsche did the voluntary stop sale while they got EPA sorted out. The software uses extra add blue while the engine warms up. This is not a cheat device. Porsche told EPA about this in 2013. It is all documented. They should have it cleared up end of month."
Sounds reasonable and logical. My wife and I could not be happier with our two Cayenne diesels like you, these are not our first Cayennes but instead our third and fourth over almost ten years and we are driving one of them to the Raleigh area for Christmas enjoying the comfort and great mileage.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. Thanks for posting this. I had imagined this might be the impact. Also planning to keep the CD for long term.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Loving my diesel. I had forgotten the Sport button. On the highway throttle response much better and when one is done sporting around, it will drop back to eighth gear. Got 33 mpg last weekend on 300 mile trip.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dhud
Hope so. Mine is currently sitting outside the port of San Diego and waiting delivery to the dealership. Hope they clear it up in time for us to take delivery and enjoy some of the mountain ski season next month up north. Wonder how it will do in the white stuff...my X5M was pretty good last year for snowboarding/ski trips.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:55 AM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts and updates all, I appreciate it. I am sure that Porsche will work this out, but VW has definitely made things difficult, their credibility is pretty much in the toilet right now with regulators (and the general public for that matter).

The explanation provided by dhud's SA seems plausible especially given the "temperature conditioning" (or whatever it was called) state that was mentioned. This is what I guessed given the amount of time it takes for a diesel to come up to temperature.

I may be a noob with Porsche but I do know this, a stop sale on any model is a big deal, especially in Q4. Now maybe Porsche's business model makes Q4 less of an issue, I don't know, but still, a month seems to be a pretty long time without much of an update. Hopefully, this situation will be worked out soon.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:48 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

After just 4 months of ownership (2014 had 5700 miles on it) we have over 14k and love it. We traded an '08 V8 Touareg w 100k miles on it for the CD. The VW was a great SUV and loved the air suspension which we don't have now but we get 24-25 mpg w mostly city driving & 32-33 on the hwy at 80mph! Very impressive! And tows a 6k pound boat very nicely! VW & P will get this worked out soon.

A small mod w the two tone steering wheel recently! Like?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:46 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
A small mod w the two tone steering wheel recently! Like?
Nice.

I think I'd want the wheel and airbag to match and then have the trim deviate, but I know how much of a PITA changing that piece is
Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Nice.

I think I'd want the wheel and airbag to match and then have the trim deviate, but I know how much of a PITA changing that piece is
I understand. My 991 C4s has the two tone black w platinum gray interior. I put the CD platinum gray airbag on my 991 & vise versa for a unique look!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ddeliber
Thanks for the thoughts and updates all, I appreciate it. I am sure that Porsche will work this out, but VW has definitely made things difficult, their credibility is pretty much in the toilet right now with regulators (and the general public for that matter). The explanation provided by dhud's SA seems plausible especially given the "temperature conditioning" (or whatever it was called) state that was mentioned. This is what I guessed given the amount of time it takes for a diesel to come up to temperature. I may be a noob with Porsche but I do know this, a stop sale on any model is a big deal, especially in Q4. Now maybe Porsche's business model makes Q4 less of an issue, I don't know, but still, a month seems to be a pretty long time without much of an update. Hopefully, this situation will be worked out soon.
my dealership said Porsche says there is no cheat software on the 3.0L diesels from it and Audi but they will need to be reclassified for emissions purposes prior to sale. EPA has had the data since 2013 just now the discrepancy were brought to life with the 2.0L software emissions discovery. Also rumor Porsche may offer extended warranty and/or 3yrs of covered maintenance for the cars when resale begins. Roughly expect to conclude this within a month as others have reported. Speculation but hope so as our Cayenne should soon be sitting at the Port within a week!😟
Old 11-19-2015, 12:40 PM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
my dealership said Porsche says there is no cheat software on the 3.0L diesels from it and Audi but they will need to be reclassified for emissions purposes prior to sale. EPA has had the data since 2013 just now the discrepancy were brought to life with the 2.0L software emissions discovery. Also rumor Porsche may offer extended warranty and/or 3yrs of covered maintenance for the cars when resale begins. Roughly expect to conclude this within a month as others have reported. Speculation but hope so as our Cayenne should soon be sitting at the Port within a week!😟
Thanks for the update.

I am curious to know what "reclassified for emissions purposes" really means. To be honest, this one sounds like "expect to conclude this within a month" might be optimistic, but we can definitely hope
Old 11-19-2015, 05:13 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Our CD was ordered at the end of September and built in October. Was sitting at the Port for shipment over here, scheduled to go on the boat last weekend. My Dealer checked this week, and the boat left with my CD sitting on the pier

Obviously with the Stop Sale, they aren't shipping any more units to the US until this gets sorted out. Bummer.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caronsd
Our CD was ordered at the end of September and built in October. Was sitting at the Port for shipment over here, scheduled to go on the boat last weekend. My Dealer checked this week, and the boat left with my CD sitting on the pier Obviously with the Stop Sale, they aren't shipping any more units to the US until this gets sorted out. Bummer.
Sad to hear...at least made made the trip over. Not sure if it'll get from dock to dealership or be warehoused somewhere but fingers crossed! Can see why they would hold any post ban shipments tho in Germany just in case the EPA and US govt loose their minds and refuse to grant updated certification then VW AG would have even more precious metal over here they couldn't sell or would cost them more $$ when time came to fix. Just having to ship them home to Germany alone would be a tremendous cost I would assume so why incur the liability until you are sure you either a) have a fix b) approval nod from EPA c) customer base is still there and wants the cars!

So we'll see I guess. 👥
Old 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to drive to Mammoth next week, about 700 mile round trip. I will find out what kind of MPG I get and how it's going to behave in the snow. So far wife loves her new 2016 CD.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Darn!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...esel/76111106/
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...120-story.html

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue